Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It does not ban "government employees." It bans state or government funded/sponsored travel. People are free to spend their own money to travel anywhere they want on their own.

That is exactly correct. As a person born and raised in CA, this is par for the Moonbeam course. HE has always been a few buckets short of a load. I lived through his first "rule" and he was wonka doodles then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I don't agree with laws that discriminate against LGBT people.

However, I'm not sure it's a good idea for a state government to discourage people from traveling to another state for political reasons. Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas are great states. Great people live in all American states.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-24-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Mississippi should be on the list. Mississippi is the only state still flying the Confederate emblem.
Mississippi is already on the list. It is NOT on the list b/c it fly's the confederate stamp.

"...Texas, home to the nation’s second-largest economy, joins California’s growing list of states — Alabama, Kentucky and South Dakota were added at the same time — to which state-sponsored travel has been curbed because of similar legislation.

“Our country has made great strides in dismantling prejudicial laws that have deprived too many of our fellow Americans of their precious rights,” Becerra said in a statement released by the California Department of Justice. “Sadly, that is not the case in all parts of our nation, even in the 21st century. I am announcing today that I am adding four states to the list of states where California-funded or sponsored travel will be restricted on account of the discriminatory nature of laws enacted by those states.”

California officials had already banned state-funded travel to Tennessee, North Carolina, Mississippi and Kansas. Those states were targeted by then-Attorney General Kamala D. Harris..." Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.33c676813838

Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
This is great news. CA, once again, is taking the lead in the U.S.

Even for the Trump cultists, I don't see why this is so objectionable. Govts have rules for safe employee travel, and CA doesn't want its employees going places where they may be at risk. Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

However, I'm not sure it's a good idea for a state government to discourage people from traveling to another state for political reasons.
They're just not using taxpayer money for official state travel. Not discouraging people who aren't paid by taxpayers to go to those states.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

However, I'm not sure it's a good idea for a state government to discourage people from traveling to another state for political reasons.
State sponsored travel. An individual Californian can still travel to these states if he or she so wishes.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:51 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
The Governor and others on the state payroll better use that same criteria when they go to other countries on govt business !

Old 06-24-2017, 10:56 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is great news. CA, once again, is taking the lead in the U.S.

Even for the Trump cultists, I don't see why this is so objectionable. Govts have rules for safe employee travel, and CA doesn't want its employees going places where they may be at risk. Sounds reasonable to me.
By the same token, Texas should not send its Republican governer to any Alexandria VA baseball fields.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Living under "Christian Law" is not freedom. It may not be as punitive as Sharia Law, but it certainly is in the same category of strict religious-based state law.
Ahh yes Emote out...

Strange... Florida is conservative, there are gay weddings done under Christian law.... priest present and all...

So much for that argument.

Is this really what California is all about? Emotional tirades?

They sure showed us!!!

I say let them get married and be miserable like everyone else... so what they aren't attracted to the opposite sex. Who are they hurting?

But no, by all means go stay in California enjoy the higher taxes and less liberties... never mind seeing what the rest of America has to offer...

Could care less what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors. Fly your rainbow flag for all I care, do what makes you happy. Waste your time with stupid issues instead of investing it into hobbies. You'll go to your grave miserable.

Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things.

Or do and enjoy being miserable.

Me, I don't care about social justice matters. I only care about having fun. I don't adhere to fads and norms. No kids, no girlfriend, no wife, happy life. nobody and nothing to keep me from doing what I want, when I want, how I want. Its great.

Nor am I petty. I judge others based on their character, it upsets libs because they try so hard to rip me apart or shun me, yet they can't. I don't judge based on skin tone, who they go to bed with, religion, what they've got between their legs.

I have a very diverse group of friends, if you share the same hobbies as me, we'll get along just fine. I don't care if you smooch on dudes, like to shoot guns? Like dirt bikes? Quads? Jetskis? Racing? We can be friends. Want to be a whiney little brat and cry foul over this that the other? Keep it moving.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I guess some people have higher standards for defining freedom than simply "able to have a gun and pay less in taxes".
I live a much happier and higher quality life in Florida than I did in NY...

No state income tax, lower cost of living, making more than what I did in NY affords me a higher standard of living... the house I'm in, is a mansion compared to what 200k gets you in NY with ridiculous property taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies