Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You showed an amazing lack of knowledge - all in one post.

Let me guess. You are a Trump voter?

Stephen Colbert: On His Role In Stephen Sondheim's 'Company' : NPR

"Colbert, who attended the theater program at Northwestern University"
"It was Sondheim, in fact, who wanted Colbert to perform in Company"

He sings. He dances. He acts. Among MANY other things.
He is backed by the NY Philharmonic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compan...rmonic_concert

Now get back to watching Larry the Cable Guy and let people who know something discuss stuff which is outside of your knowledge base.

Besides, Colbert roasted GW Bush in a truly historic moment. It had to be the best roast ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnuYKKtpxg
Quote:
I love statements based on a complete lack of facts.

Truth is, the hundreds of MILLIONS from single films...and sometimes BILLIONS when all is said and done (revenue over the decades) is a hefty sum.

Comedy is liberal.

This is a very silly thread...because, according to those who pray at the altar of capitalism, if this giant market existed for "moderate" or "conservative" films and plays, there would be LOTS of them.

If there are not - well, the proof is in the pudding. Period.

The problem here is with people who start threads like this and hold such world views. They are authoritarian in nature and do not accept the freedom of expression we have here in the west. We could call them the Taliban of Entertainment.

Next thing they'll be talking about Star Trek being liberal (well, most of the actors were/are) because of the diverse crew.

Silly people. Why not spend your time on something real - such as Trumps lies?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...umps-lies.html

Cancel your netflix, HBO, Cable, etc. and don't go to the movies. Turn Fox on and watch their conservative entertainment. See? it's easy.

The rest of the world will continue to act in a civilized manner and consume what they desire to pay for.
Goodness! Do you even bother to read your goofy links?

Obviously not.

But keep thinking you're all that!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Art is about pushing boundaries, creating new experiences, forcing people to step outside of their conventional mindset and to be open to different points of view, ideas, possibilities. Actors, writers and directors are artists. If they didn't challenge us with their stories we wouldn't be interested. Sounds like a lot of jealousy here. Actors are not necessarily"out of touch" or living in a "bubble". Most were the working poor before getting their break in the business. They are, for the most part, creative people who are open minded.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This a good question.

I think it has to do with money, the more they make they further out of touch they get.

The old timers like Clint Eastwood loves America and knows what it takes to keep it safe and prosperous but his is a dying breed that lived through WW2. Today we have self appointed drug using social justice warriors with an over inflated self worth that develop the need to speak down to people that don't agree with their politics. I'm thinking of Johny Depp when he suggested the other day that it has been a while since an actor has killed a President. Flat out stupid.

I'm thinking Hollywood changed in the 90's. Maybe it was the Clintons fault? They paled around with actors and acrtess's and gave them a voice in politics at conventions etc..
Since talkies. They "came out" as flaming liberals in the 1960s if you don't count the earlier Commies.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Wow, jews? Mostly non-whites? Communists?

In addition to the fact that it is a business, at least ultra main stream Hollywood, there seems to me a very simple explanation.

They got more liberal and progressive just as the society that movies depict also got more liberal and progressive, sometimes a little before some social fights were widely accepted, because it is also an art and it's an artist's job to "feel" the change of society around him/her.

Just as conservatives wouldn't dare go back on certain acquired and well established thinking that are now the norm. They may talk about it but wouldn't. They also changed and evolved as society as a whole got more progressive and liberal.

Think (even if some are now dated or weird) The dictator 1940, Child Bride 1943, To Kill a Mocking Bird (yes, I know it's a literary classic, but we're talking Hollywood)1962, Guess who's coming to dinner 1967, Midnight Cowboy 1969, Little Big Man 1970, A Clockwork Orange 1971, In the Realm of the Senses 1976, The Deer Hunter 1978, Norma Rae 1979, and the list goes on and on, so many more since the early 20's but as far back as the end of 19th century - The Kiss 1896).

Funnily there are fewer of them from the last 40's to mid 60's, easily explained : Hays Code. Although somes movies exist of course and others managed to subtly get around it.

Maybe that's a more reasonnable and factual, not emotional, explanation?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 AM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
I was talking to my cousin the other day about this. Funny thing we both agreed, despite Hollywood claiming to be liberal, for the most part, the ones who are controlling Hollywood are some of the racist, sexist, homophobic etc people out there. How many Japanese, Black or Egyptian actors won an award in the Oscars compare to the white people? Where are the action superhero movies where the lead character is gay?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Decades ago when children and pre-adults got increased spending power, all entertainment outlets had to change to accommodate their new customers' level, tastes and attention-span. Movies and music were shaped, in part, by new customer demographics - the industries attracted and maintained those that could identify with the audience and produce that type of product.
We have seen a shift now towards movie studios tailoring their product to the tastes of foreign markets (e.g. more universal language of explosions, less character-development/meaningful dialogue) as that is where a huge chunk of profits come from.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
There it is! Liberals believing that using drugs will expand your mind rather than burn you out so much that you don't realize what they are doing to you.
So drugs are keeping me from going to KKK meetings?

And you don't believe Steve Jobs?
"Jobs once said that taking LSD was one of the "two or three most important things" he ever did in his life. "

The drug culture is largely responsible for the rise of the internet, silicon valley and...forums like this (please look up The Well - it was started by friends of mine).

The Internet would never arise out of drunkards or "straights". Wouldn't happen just like creativity would not either. Do you think modern music (The Beatles) would be what it was without drugs? Heck, Aldous Huxley was a fav of my 85 year old dad (who didn't do drugs, but expanded his mind by reading about people who did).

The list is very long...of inventors and creative geniuses who expanded their minds and world views using substances.

Think Different, my friend. Here you are using inventions from the great ones - while not even knowing about it's origins.

"forty years later, what stands out about the 1960s is that it was when the roots of today’s collective intelligence first formed. The Internet, the personal computer, and open source software — and ultimately, the collaborative nature of today’s innovation economy — all have their philosophical and social roots in the Summer of Love."

Old 06-25-2017, 07:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
BTW, when do y'all think Science became liberal?

A Pew Poll found that only 6% of Scientists identify with the GOP. That is a very telling number.

I'd say the answer is the same as with Hollywood. When people are intelligent and have open minds, they tend to move away from "the world is like the priest says and everything else is blasphemy" type of world views.

It's like the Taliban. How many Talibs are scientists? or make liberal movies? None. Because they are tradition bound and "conservative"

Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Confirmed my theory about the Greeks and even Romans.
Neither used entertainment to evangelize.

Yes, Spielberg is a plot and his elevation of Oscar Shindler to Hero is part of that anti-anti you are talking about.

His film about Lincoln is especially anti-anti.

Saving Private Ryan - yep, another one talking about how bad average American (Christians) are.

Can you guys please confirm that everyone on this thread is over 60? or 70?

I'd be despondent if real Americans held these views.

PS. When you have time, look up the history of "conservatism". It didn't exist until recently as a way of describing politics (other than describing some who approved slavery)...so the views being expounded here are just repeated propaganda.

It was really Barry Goldwater who started the modern strain - and even a radical like he would have trembled reading this stuff (above).

To Quote Barry:
“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

That's what a REAL conservative thinks about Christians. Let's take another one from way back. Mr. Thomas Jefferson...but first, let's touch on Ben Franklin.

Ben did not believe in the divinity of Jesus. To show how far backwards Christians have laid our politics, he was never even asked this question until later in his life - and he answered it in writing, so we know for sure.

But Thomas Jefferson - that rich indebted slaveholding founder - is more the hero of some modern conservatives. He has a book full of quotes about Christians, besides having personally created his own Bible by cutting our references to Jesus and Miracles.

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."

"It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it (i.e. the Book of Revelations), and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherence of our own nightly dreams."

I love the uneducated - just like Mr. Trump does. They are my favorite followers. They are, as TJ notes, either fools or hypocrites. Pick one. Some are both.
Completely off point and irrelevant large pile of nonsense....but you get a participation trophy.

Are you up to date on your meds...you should make sure.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 06-25-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
So drugs are keeping me from going to KKK meetings?

And you don't believe Steve Jobs?
"Jobs once said that taking LSD was one of the "two or three most important things" he ever did in his life. "

The drug culture is largely responsible for the rise of the internet, silicon valley and...forums like this (please look up The Well - it was started by friends of mine).

The Internet would never arise out of drunkards or "straights". Wouldn't happen just like creativity would not either. Do you think modern music (The Beatles) would be what it was without drugs? Heck, Aldous Huxley was a fav of my 85 year old dad (who didn't do drugs, but expanded his mind by reading about people who did).

The list is very long...of inventors and creative geniuses who expanded their minds and world views using substances.

Think Different, my friend. Here you are using inventions from the great ones - while not even knowing about it's origins.

"forty years later, what stands out about the 1960s is that it was when the roots of today’s collective intelligence first formed. The Internet, the personal computer, and open source software — and ultimately, the collaborative nature of today’s innovation economy — all have their philosophical and social roots in the Summer of Love."
Yeah, imagine where we might be today if drugs had the same effect on 100% of the population that used them.

I will give you that drugs have had a positive effect on some people's thinking and actions. But the positive results are no where near in the majority. MJ may not have a long term negative effect on one's health, unless you continue to use it, and it affects the way you deal with other people. I have used it in the past, a long time ago, when it wasn't as strong as it is now(so I have heard).

I remember having a friend invite me to his house to help paint the interior, back in the 80's. There were a few of us there, and we lit up beforehand. I don't know how his house looked when we were done, I don't remember. I just remember sitting, watching him and some of the others painting the house. It wasn't too long after that, that I decided it wasn't for me.

It's sort of like being a liberal when you are young, and realizing the effect it has on you and those around you, and switching allegience. It's all "feel good" in the beginning, until you find out it doesn't really work long term. People who haven't come to that realization, rationalize why they still like the "feel good" aspects, and don't consider that things could even be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies