Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,285,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Just looking at this thread, there's more vitriol directed at Anita Sarkeesian's person than at the content of her criticism.
I called her an intellectually bereft fraud, do you consider that vitriol? I didn't rehash the years of her regressive writings and videos because I didn't see the point (it's been done). Her actions at VidCon were inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,119,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Considering you use terms such as "mansplaining" (basically what a woman calls a man for anything she says she doesn't agree with) and your hostile attitude you seem like a feminazi. Or could it be something else?? Hmm...Here, take some midol AND a chill pill.
Cut out the feminazi stuff. It's tired and overused, as is the "har har, must be on your period" line. Mansplaining is not just that, and if you didn't try to present at least the general definition, not sure you know what it is. Maybe you do.

Just ignore Anita. Gives her power still, so if you and others just ignore, lessens her. GamerGaters who care about the ethics part should probably go start their own new hashtag, as this one has been coopted by hate from both sides for other agendas.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM

983 posts, read 739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Cut out the feminazi stuff. It's tired and overused, as is the "har har, must be on your period" line. Mansplaining is not just that, and if you didn't try to present at least the general definition, not sure you know what it is. Maybe you do.

Just ignore Anita. Gives her power still, so if you and others just ignore, lessens her. GamerGaters who care about the ethics part should probably go start their own new hashtag, as this one has been coopted by hate from both sides for other agendas.
Urban Dictionary: mansplaining

Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,119,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
That's Urban Dictionary, where anyone can add stuff pretty much. Some men do it, some women claim it when it isn't really, but it does happen. Like this: Curious Woman Asks For Mansplaining Examples, Twitter Delivers | HuffPost

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...nition-history
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It is rather interesting. There's been plenty of criticism directed at most every medium for storytelling - books, movies, music, comics, music videos, television etc. Some of that criticism has even been - OMG!-feminist. I do not recall any one group of fans going so completely overboard in their reaction as the gamers have been doing. (Yes, I' describing them as sharing an identity of sorts. After all, part of their beef with Sarkession is that she isn't a gamer. Or a proper gamer, anyway.)

Just looking at this thread, there's more vitriol directed at Anita Sarkeesian's person than at the content of her criticism. And this is, frankly, very modest compared to some forums. I'm not seeing fans of books or movies going to such extremes of expressing personal dislike for critics they don't like. We're talking bomb threats where she speaks - book critics are hardly ever facing that.
There's little reason to criticize her content since it has been beaten to death plenty already. And this topic isn't even so much about that as it is what a thin-skinned fraud she is. And the fact she isn't a gamer is relevant. Especially given that she likes to act as if she's an authority on it all. The ironic part is in her first tropes vs. women in video games video she talks about the damsel in distress trope and how bad it is, yet since the beginning she has been one of the biggest damsels in distress there is.

1,868 posts, read 3,072,267 times
Oh, I know all about Anita Sarkeesian. She did indeed scam a lot of people out of money on kickstarter promising a series of well-researched videos on tropes vs women in video games. She ended up producing about half of what she promised before abandoning the project and what she did produce was not well-researched at all. She raised some good points in principle but her entire position was based on cherry picked info or just blatant misinformation.

For example, in one of her videos, she discussed the Hitman game and how during one mission, the player must go through a strip club to find someone. She states that the game allows the player to kill the women dancing at the club. While this is true, what she fails to leave out (here comes the cherrypicking), is that the game also allows you to kill the men watching the women dance at the club and the game even penalizes the player if they harm the dancers.

Pretty much the entire gaming community world-wide does not care for her. My sister -who is also an active feminist who has gone to the UN over women's issues- also said that people like her give feminists a bad name.

GamerGate was also full of a bunch of nut jobs FWIW.

Last edited by Adric; 06-26-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Criticism isn't harassment -------> that's what it really comes down to.

Strangely, and unfortunately, this is actually an irreconcilable difference. If I publicly label your criticism harassment, you're not "allowed" to criticize me.

I would never advocate nor defend actual harassment -- threats, violence, excessive name-calling, stalking. But in a liberal, free society, we must be able to criticize bad ideas such as those that AS espouses.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:13 PM

I thought this comment from [I think] Based Mama (from one of the VidCon vids) was good:
Quote:
There are two things that young women today truly love:
  • feeling beautiful
  • feeling victimized
Because it's all about the self. It's egotism.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Criticism isn't harassment -------> that's what it really comes down to.

Strangely, and unfortunately, this is actually an irreconcilable difference. If I publicly label your criticism harassment, you're not "allowed" to criticize me.

I would never advocate nor defend actual harassment -- threats, violence, excessive name-calling, stalking. But in a liberal, free society, we must be able to criticize bad ideas such as those that AS espouses.
Want to see something crazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyncf3DBUQ

So much fail and misinformation there it's insane. And just look at the like/dislike ratio. 2K likes and 65K dislikes LOL!

Even Colbert who is well known for making fun of everyone treated her with kid gloves when she was on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_Wmeg7OTU

Not only that, but out of ALL of his videos that's the only one where comments were disabled. Also the like/dislike ration is heavily skewed dislike lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,336,603 times
Anita Sarkeesian basically has one talent and its being a professional feminist victim. She earned master's degree in social and political thought (?) from York University, and has made a career of being a victim and a feminist, yet somehow she is on news stories and really has never done anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies