Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The point I am making is for those that would rather have a European/American culture without other cultures in the environment we aren't given a choice. We are not allowed to have a separate and unique European/American culture of our own in our own territory with our own schools etc. because the government won't allow us to have that and that is the unjust part. They call us racists who want that.
You can have that.

You just have to go back to 1963 before the Civil Rights Act was passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, they don't view it as an American tradition nor is it. It's a foreign tradition practiced in America by some. I don't know why this is so confusing to so many that they spin those things into being an American tradition instead.
What makes you think that you are the only one that can determine what is and isn't an American tradition?

Are you able to provide any examples of nativist approved American traditions?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am glad that you enjoyed your diverse environment when growing up but that is not for everyone. The point I am making is for those that would rather have a European/American culture without other cultures in the environment we aren't given a choice. We are not allowed to have a separate and unique European/American culture of our own in our own territory with our own schools etc. because the government won't allow us to have that and that is the unjust part. They call us racists who want that.
What is European/American culture? In case you didn't know, Europe is an entire continent made up of many different countries, ethnicities and cultures. So which European culture are you referring to?

Or is culture just nativist code for skin color?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
I don't know why this is so confusing
I'll give it a guess
-because you won't explain what you believe American culture to be leaving everyone to read your mind then are aghast when someone suggests something that doesn't conform to your thoughts.

Also, because the United States is a huge country made of diverse peoples brought together over the course of hundreds of years.

You mentioned brick walls a bit ago. I've alluded to it and asked outright, why do I, who doesn't give a **** about football, movies, fast food, or chain restaurants get a pass when I'm out in public not caring about these things?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
It's those who refuse to embrace our identifying culture and language out in mainstream that are the dividers. You have it a** backwards.
Did I need to spell it out? I *think* we said the same thing, but you seem to have read it with a preconceived bias.

Those who refuse to 'embrace" our culture and language are the progressives, the politicians, the so-called liberal leaders (some self-appointed) of society who want to put us into their mold of what they think we ought/need to be.

The majority of citizenry don't do that except as they are incited by the above mentioned.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What makes you think that you are the only one that can determine what is and isn't an American tradition?

Are you able to provide any examples of nativist approved American traditions?

I'm not the only one determining what it is. It's obvious to anyone who doesn't have an agenda. Nothing nativist about the facts. So long, I've had enough of your racist, white supremist, nativist insinuations.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Did I need to spell it out? I *think* we said the same thing, but you seem to have read it with a preconceived bias.

Those who refuse to 'embrace" our culture and language are the progressives, the politicians, the so-called liberal leaders (some self-appointed) of society who want to put us into their mold of what they think we ought/need to be.

The majority of citizenry don't do that except as they are incited by the above mentioned.

Bias? WTH does that mean? It's not only those you mentioned above that refuse to embrace our identifying culture and language but many regular Americans and "immigrants" also.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I'll give it a guess
-because you won't explain what you believe American culture to be leaving everyone to read your mind then are aghast when someone suggests something that doesn't conform to your thoughts.

Also, because the United States is a huge country made of diverse peoples brought together over the course of hundreds of years.

You mentioned brick walls a bit ago. I've alluded to it and asked outright, why do I, who doesn't give a **** about football, movies, fast food, or chain restaurants get a pass when I'm out in public not caring about these things?

I referred you and yours to post #420 of which I agree with. Don't agree with it or think it's something else that's your problem not mine. Diversity in race, skin color or ethnicity has nothing to do with it. It's about our identifying mainstream culture and language. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:31 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You can have that.

You just have to go back to 1963 before the Civil Rights Act was passed.
Why don't folks who feel this way just come straight with it? Not that I agree with the sentiment, it's just more straightforward to address & counter with reality-based info.

To begin with, even if one would like to go back in time & individually or collectively veto the Civil Rights Acts of the 50s & 60s, (stating the obvious), time travel is not an option.

Of course, there are the libertarian wankers, for example Ron & (Ayn)Rand Paul, who attempt to weasel out with loopy libertarian rationales ...

Get real.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
I referred you and yours to post #420 of which I agree with. Don't agree with it or think it's something else that's your problem not mine. Diversity in race, skin color or ethnicity has nothing to do with it. It's about our identifying mainstream culture and language. Nothing more and nothing less.
Here's the post #420 to which you keep referring
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Western. American culture is a part of Western civilization. It includes, but is not limited to, our art, music, film, clothing, food, technology and language.
Here is your post to which I first responded
Quote:
We have an identifying culture and language with minority ones living among us. I have no problem with that just as long as they don't change the mainstream culture, alter our demographics so that mainstream Americans become the minority in this country and assimilate into our society. Some people in here just don't get it!
My response was that I didn't get it. I don't understand why you'd be bothered it's a minority of your neighbors that like the same music as you. Or the same food. Or the same clothing.

Can you explain that to me?

Can you also explain to me how you think Ben Franklin or Martin Van Buren would feel if they arrived tomorrow in America? Would they appreciate the same art, food and music as you do?

Can you also answer why you believe that regional differences in art, food and music preferences between places like Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, Iowa and Maine smaller than differences in art, food and music preferences between, say, New Mexico and Mexico; or Hawaii and New Zealand; or Alaska and western Canada?

Gracias in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies