Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM

983 posts, read 739,044 times

Advertisements

America's not perfect, but these people hate themselves and their country. Or else they're idiots from some golden paradise that was rebuilt by America after a war or exists only because of the protection America affords it, or both.

And in terms of humanitarian aid, America always donates the most. It's roughly triple what the enlightened countries of Europe kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,276,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I really wish you could define patriotism and how you think it works. I am pretty left leaning and patriotism for me its always believing that your country is great, but not overlooking it's flaws. It means you think your best days are ahead of you and not in the past, and you always work to get here. It is not slicing off large sections of your countrymen and leaving behind because they aren't worth it or are somehow less than you. It is doing your best for the common good, and not only yourself. It means that you care for the weakest and most vulnerable, because a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. It means living in a nation that leads the world in freedom, thought, openness, knowledge and a strong desire to do the right thing.
It means not wanting to break up the USA because some states don't agree with you, or talking about civil war. Small government, states rights people always quote Jefferson, but remember that post revolution it was the Federalists like Washington, Adams and Hamilton that laid the foundation for the modern country we all live in.
Awesome post!!!! I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,276,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're confusing patriotism with nationalism.

People on the left are proud of the United States. They are patriotic. They value deeply the principles that are the foundation of our Constitution and our nation itself. Your post reveals more about you and your hatred of the left than it does about people who are actually on the left.
So according to your post only the left is patriotic...all of the left and no one from the right can be patriotic?
If that isn't a bias statement not sure what is.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM

18,037 posts, read 27,484,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc

I really love that video. You hear the condensed version which is great alone but hearing the other verse(s) is amazing. What happened to having pride and patriotism? I know the left will bring up all the bad stuff America has done, and I'm not saying it hasn't done bad things but if we're being honest by the lefts criteria NO country should be proud or patriotic of their country.

George Washington said what sets America apart from all other peoples in the world is he will die on his feet before he'll live on his knees.

Why is it that that is considered so awful by the left? No matter who or where you are there will always be good and bad to fight against. I realize if you have pride/patriotism you generally can't be cucked into liberalism or their agenda, they're after the low hanging disenfranchised people who always got picked on to help further their cause, the best way to destroy a country is from within. Not saying I want it to come to fighting, but I know if it came down to it I would gladly fight for my daughter, husband and country.
It's bad because it's working for us Republicans.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
America's not perfect, but these people hate themselves and their country. Or else they're idiots from some golden paradise that was rebuilt by America after a war or exists only because of the protection America affords it, or both.

And in terms of humanitarian aid, America always donates the most. It's roughly triple what the enlightened countries of Europe kick in.
I don't hate America or myself. I love both.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
So according to your post only the left is patriotic...all of the left and no one from the right can be patriotic?
If that isn't a bias statement not sure what is.
I don't know how you got that from my post. I said nothing about the right at all.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's bad because it's working for us Republicans.

Republican and working hardly belong in the same sentence!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,232 times
Where does the idea that "the left" is anti-patriotic come from?

I think I know the answer.

It comes from a minority group on the right. They're a group who have set up their values and decided that those values are the same thing as patriotic values and anyone who disagrees with those values is not only not patriotic, but opposes patriotism as a concept. Ironic, given that I would assert that true American patriotism is a believe in classical American politics, meaning that a belief in freedom of expression is front and center of American patriotism and the only way to be not patriotic is to believe that all who disagree with a certain policy must also be unpatriotic.

To be clear, I do not think most Republicans or proponent of right wing politics feel this away about all people on the left. I think at some level, most people understand that our political opponents, both within our party and in the opposition party, believe they are doing the right thing and at some level, we sympathize with them. We do this because that's all we really ask of them; to understand our point of view, but not necessarily agree with it.

The only faction within the Democratic party (and American-leftism) that I think can reasonably be described as anti-patriotic is a group that I feel would best be described as leftwing populists. They aren't anti-American per se, but they are anti-capitalist, anti-imperialism, anti-nationalism, anti-militarism, and anti-globalism. They tend to believe anyone who even seems like they support any of these things are evil, and this view often manifests itself in a way that look as sufficiently anti-American as the OPs suggestion that "the left" as a whole is anti-patriotism.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM

13,655 posts, read 20,791,239 times
To be fair, Patriotism has been used as a weapon by both Right and Left to delegitimize dissent or other views.

How many times was MLK called a Communist?

What did both LBJ and Nixon think of long hairs who were asking very good questions about the wisdom of Vietnam?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
I remember going to protests before the Iraq war and being told I was "unpatriotic" for not supporting that illegal invasion of a sovereign nation that had done nothing to warrant it.

Funny how I never felt more patriotic than I did at those protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies