Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
It's the VA who determines if they are disabled.
I've met VERY FEW who were actually injured in the line of duty.
All the ones I work with have 40-90% disabilities (along with the lifetime paycheck) and their injuries are for tinnitus, bad knees, hypertension, etc. All things those of us in the working world consider part of the job.
It's ironic to me that someone can be 90% disabled yet hold a full time manual labor job.

Which leads to my point of the VA not being very good at diagnosing and healing our veterans.
maybe if the expanded coverage to all Americans the quality will improve.
I understand the point you are making, I really do.

This said,

The benefits they all get are things like the GI Bill for college, VA loans for home loans and businesses, and VA medical care for service related disabilities (which is a much broader thing than just getting wounded in combat. These are compensations for service, not for having been in combat. Taking those away is the equivalent of taking away a 401 k plan from an employee just because they didn’t have as hard a job as another who signed up for the same thing.

The government doesn’t provide much more than that, and besides issuing a combat action ribbon, a medal for being shot, and some bragging rights, there really is no “benefit” to being in combat for a veteran. though there are many private organizations that do, such as Wounded Warriors, who focus on supporting military servicemembers who were wounded in combat.

Believe me, I agree with you, I used to agree with you and I still do (well, kind of) All my friends are enlisted combat folks, (mostly E5) I don't know any high ranking officers (and have no desires of knowing one lol) I always believe they (enlisted folks who have actually seen combat) deserve more. I can't figure out why a person who lost an arm and both legs receive the same disability rating as somebody who suffered from, say rheumatoid arthritis. Once I said, military shouldn't be a day care center, man, some here almost bite my head off.

Somebody have explained to me and I kind of understand it now.

They say “Harms way” is a vague and useless term. What does it mean? What counts as “harm’s way” exactly? Taking fire? Direct fire threat? Indirect fire threat? Being in a combat zone? How about working the flight deck of a carrier? How about someone who works around toxic chemicals? Or someone who works with pressure chambers? Diving? There are special pays for each of those and a lot more.

Many of the pays that fall under “hazardous” don’t have to involve combat.

lol So there, I guess.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-28-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
It's the VA who determines if they are disabled.
I've met VERY FEW who were actually injured in the line of duty.
All the ones I work with have 40-90% disabilities (along with the lifetime paycheck) and their injuries are for tinnitus, bad knees, hypertension, etc. All things those of us in the working world consider part of the job.
It's ironic to me that someone can be 90% disabled yet hold a full time manual labor job.
Quote:
Which leads to my point of the VA not being very good at diagnosing and healing our veterans.
maybe if the expanded coverage to all Americans the quality will improve
So when the more important "all" Americans are added to the system it will improve. Jealous of what others earned with commitment and sacrifice while working a civilian job and advancing in it. Now wanting to be a part of something not earned is hubris. Join Mark Zuckerberg's army he 's looking to give people a guaranteed income of $1000 a month. You don't have to work or do anything. Should be right up your ally.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
Whuuhh??
Jabberwocky reasoning, (poor attempt to use the word hubris too)

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
The VA is a socialized medical system to assist veterans. Why not expand it to cover ALL Americans?
Veterans will not lose coverage and the government doesn't have to re-invent the wheel. The system is already in place.
We can stop funding foreign governments and foreign wars then use that money to expand it.

(I think they might need to improve the quality of care because something like 80% of veterans are disabled. Somebody isn't doing something right.)
I understand that you want coverage for all but this is a bad idea. If you provide care to all, then give it another name and avenue than the VA. Those who put their life on the line for our country should be recognized rather than given the same benefits, perhaps, as those who simply refuse to work.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I understand that you want coverage for all but this is a bad idea. If you provide care to all, then give it another name and avenue than the VA. Those who put their life on the line for our country should be recognized rather than given the same benefits, perhaps, as those who simply refuse to work.
I think his point is that Obamacare was supposed be America's answer to European universal healthcare systems.

Clearly it is not.

So perhaps it is time to discuss consolidating our array of systems including VA care into something resembling what France or whomever has.

That is how I interpret his point.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think his point is that Obamacare was supposed be America's answer to European universal healthcare systems.

Clearly it is not.

So perhaps it is time to discuss consolidating our array of systems including VA care into something resembling what France or whomever has.

That is how I interpret his point.
Fair enough. If our country ever wants affordable healthcare, we need to cut out the profit sucking middle-man, "health insurance." With our taxes, we already pay for the sickest, "Medicare." Without the burden of providing health insurance, small businesses will flourish. Also, people can retire before 70.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Open the VA Health System to ALL Americans

Hell no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. The VA is set up to aid those who served this country.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
The VA is a socialized medical system to assist veterans. Why not expand it to cover ALL Americans?
Veterans will not lose coverage and the government doesn't have to re-invent the wheel. The system is already in place.
We can stop funding foreign governments and foreign wars then use that money to expand it.

(I think they might need to improve the quality of care because something like 80% of veterans are disabled. Somebody isn't doing something right.)
Sorry OP, no can do. Veterans are a closed society. The only way you become a member is to serve your country and be willing to stand up and die for it. In exchange for traveling to strange, exotic lands, meeting interesting people and killing them, congress will provide you with access to an underfunded health care system, staffed by underpaid medical personnel.
But the VA system is tailored to treat veterans.

You know, guys that have half their faces blown off and will need 30 or more surgical operations to restore enough so that their wife and kids can recognize them again.

Guys that had an RPG rip through the doors of their HumVee and take out both legs and the left arm.

Guys that will never get a good night's sleep again in their lives because of the unspeakable horrors they were required to witness or do.

One question for you.
Have you ever set foot in a VA hospital waiting room?
If not I'll give you a peek.
First there's an ass in every seat as waiting rooms are always full.
You'll see old feeble WWII vets sitting in their wheelchairs with their wives standing guard over them.
Next to him will be a 25 year old kid back from Afghanistan missing most his face from a Taliban bullet.
Besides him will be an Iraqi Vet with no legs comforting a guy who can't stop the tears from running down his cheeks.
Many, many Vietnam Era vets with old scars and canes who give up their seats for the female helicopter pilot who can't go anywhere with out IV bags attached.

And you want free admission into this society?

Not in my lifetime and certainly not ever in yours.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:

With all the problems the VA has had, the death lists, the ignorance, the corruption... and you want that for everyone?

This is your cheeky way to get the foot in the door to single payer. Guess what, the vast majority DO NOT WANT IT!

This thread is an epic fail.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
Veterans are no less worthy than disabled veterans.
All Americans are worthy of healthcare.
We have a system set up to care for SOME Americans, why not others?

Any American who works an honest week and cares for their family is as valuable as any veteran.

And, too many dav's are not worthy of sharing the same waiting room as those who sacrificed for their country. I personally know too many who joined the service with the intention of getting a disability before leaving, that's an inconvenient fact. They are a disgrace and I would be happy to see ANY real AMerican treated before them.

Just like we cannot grade the value of one disabled veteran over another we should not exclude one American over another. WHat the He!! are they fighting for anyway? To see a worthy teacher die while some gold-bricking, phony veteran (like the one I work with who is disabled from a drunk driving accident, be treated for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies