Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times

Advertisements

Get over it!!! If someone wants to serve their country, just let them. I voted for Trump but I definitely oppose this decision of banning people from making career choices because of their gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
I don't know why (some) people are outraged about this. There is no civil right to serve in the military. They have standards and not everyone will meet those. I don't understand the argument 'Well they put their lives on the line so let them in.' Again, it's about standards not catering to people's sense of entitlement. A person 300 lbs with one eye and a bum knee may still be just as willing to die for their country, so do we let them in too?

Having people taking hormones, going through major surgery, receiving ongoing counseling, etc. IS a disruption to what should be a smoothly operating unit. Not to mention the burden on taxpayers.

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Said what he had to say to get elected.....shall we pull up Hiltery's lies and deceit???....is there enough room to post them??
Sorry, is she POTUS?

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Get over it!!! If someone wants to serve their country, just let them. I voted for Trump but I definitely oppose this decision of banning people from making career choices because of their gender.
disagree

Medical readiness? ever heard of it? Not everything is "discrimination."

Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Gay people are not the same as transgender people. Don't know why they are lumped together

I support gays having rights but think transgenders seem mentally ill

Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
The military is there to defend the country, period. People must meet the standards. Personal career choices take a back seat to national defense.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Interestingly, almost every person who I know to be trans served in the military.

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I don't know why (some) people are outraged about this. There is no civil right to serve in the military. They have standards and not everyone will meet those. I don't understand the argument 'Well they put their lives on the line so let them in.' Again, it's about standards not catering to people's sense of entitlement. A person 300 lbs with one eye and a bum knee may still be just as willing to die for their country, so do we let them in too?

Having people taking hormones, going through major surgery, receiving ongoing counseling, etc. IS a disruption to what should be a smoothly operating unit. Not to mention the burden on taxpayers.
Excellent post.

This isn't about discrimination or hurting feelings. It's about maintaining high standards of admission in order to maintain the autonomy and mental strength required to have a successful military.

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Very small issue, as there are very few transgenders, and very, very few who'd want to join the military. Remember the mission of the military. It is for defense of our country, and mission readiness, and capabilities should be paramount. It should not be a PC, social engineering experiment. Women don't belong in combat either. There I said it. That erodes mission capability.
To be clear, you are saying that if your numbers are smaller, you're less deserving of rights. Because if you aren't saying that, there's no reason not point out that relatively few people are trans.

Look, I'm not stupid. I know what this is. It's a political stunt to get the conservatives to like him. Trump can't possibly care about this, and frankly, I don't think most people do. The ones who do are against it. For me, if you want to serve your country, go for it. Man, woman, or trans. What different does it really make? Obviously, different types of service require different things, and those should be uniform across gender lines (or any other distinction). But if a woman or a trans person can pass those tests, why, aside from partisan crap, would you turn them away?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
To be clear, you are saying that if your numbers are smaller, you're less deserving of rights. Because if you aren't saying that, there's no reason not point out that relatively few people are trans.

Look, I'm not stupid. I know what this is. It's a political stunt to get the conservatives to like him. Trump can't possibly care about this, and frankly, I don't think most people do. The ones who do are against it. For me, if you want to serve your country, go for it. Man, woman, or trans. What different does it really make? Obviously, different types of service require different things, and those should be uniform across gender lines (or any other distinction). But if a woman or a trans person can pass those tests, why, aside from partisan crap, would you turn them away?

Trump spoke with the generals and they agreed it was the best thing to do. It also is costing the army extra money. I know liberals don't care about things like this and feel transgender rights are the ultimate issue affecting the world, but most don't agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies