Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

There was no actual service as transgender since it was a *secret* kept. If they had served openly as transgender there would be actual evidence it can be done without disruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I don't need a description of the APA. I got it. What I am asking for is for you to provide citations to back up the claim that you have made throughout this thread that the mental health and biological sciences community have jointly concluded that transgenderism does not possess components of mental illness. Either back up your claims with empirical evidence or stop saying things that have not yet been proven. My mind by the way has not been made up at all. There has not been sufficient evidence researched and proven in order for me to. But you've been running your mouth for tens of pages now as if you are in the know, so I am challenging you to provide your findings. Either do it or shut up about it. Seems simple enough.
FFS, the APA IS a citation *because* it is a professional, reputable mental health organization. They're the same group that stopped classifying gay people as mentally ill in the 1970s. They have enormous collective experience and expertise on the matter of mental health, including the treatment of uncountable members of the LGBT community. If they're not a good enough source for you, then I don't think you're honestly asking. If by slim chance you are, then by all means, find your own sources. If you truly are not 100% decided on this issue, then honestly take the time to research it like I have.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:29 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You know what happens if a transgender person doesn't take daily hormones? Nothing.
Really now?

For transgender prisoners, hormones seen as matter of *life and death - NBC News

https://transcare.ucsf.edu/article/i...ormone-therapy

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=115413.0

The thing is, in a combat zone having a solider experiencing wild mood swings, hot flashes, profuse sweating, and shaking body parts - even for a couple of days - is dangerous. Being a military member is not like working at Bob's Factory.

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
FFS, the APA IS a citation *because* it is a professional, reputable mental health organization. They're the same group that stopped classifying gay people as mentally ill in the 1970s. They have enormous collective experience and expertise on the matter of mental health, including the treatment of uncountable members of the LGBT community. If they're not a good enough source for you, then I don't think you're honestly asking. If by slim chance you are, then by all means, find your own sources. If you truly are not 100% decided on this issue, then honestly take the time to research it like I have.
keep on playing the word game does not make your argument more valid. Just sayin'

Do they need to take meds on regular basis? If they do, then what?

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
The question begs. A person enlists into the military. 6 months later declare themselves a transgender. Should the military foot the bill for the process of gender reassignment? Should a person's 4 year enlistment be side tracked to facilitate gender reassignment surgery? Should the military pay for the hormone treatments?
I have no issue with transgender people. I do have an issue with using defense funds to pay for it.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Uhm, not sure where you are getting your medical info, but yes, they do need the hormones once started or it will cause all kinds of physical, emotional, and psychological issues during the time period while their body readjusts. It has nothing to do with the capacity to take a pill, it has to do with what happens if the pill can't be given to them to take.

I am not missing the point. Military service is not about the right to a job.
If they take pills, missing a few days here or there is not going to cause any real problems. And that could be entirely solved by doing injections instead, which last for weeks at a time and are more effective anyway. Transgender people will not fly into violent mood swings or lose bodily functions or any other nonsense like that if they don't get hormones each and every day on the hour. There is no life-threatening condition that evolves without them. Sure, it's ideal for the if them maintain them at a consistent dosage, but you're FAR overblowing any negative consequences if they do not.

No one said it was a right. The argument is that it doesn't present a factual hardship for the military. Otherwise, how have thousands managed to remain in service?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The question begs. A person enlists into the military. 6 months later declare themselves a transgender. Should the military foot the bill for the process of gender reassignment? Should a person's 4 year enlistment be side tracked to facilitate gender reassignment surgery? Should the military pay for the hormone treatments?
I have no issue with transgender people. I do have an issue with using defense funds to pay for it.

Then get this, they file disability and live large off a government pension.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
If they take pills, missing a few days here or there is not going to cause any real problems. And that could be entirely solved by doing injections instead, which last for weeks at a time and are more effective anyway. Transgender people will not fly into violent mood swings or lose bodily functions or any other nonsense like that if they don't get hormones each and every day on the hour. There is no life-threatening condition that evolves without them. Sure, it's ideal for the if them maintain them at a consistent dosage, but you're FAR overblowing any negative consequences if they do not.

No one said it was a right. The argument is that it doesn't present a factual hardship for the military. Otherwise, how have thousands managed to remain in service?
They are not transitioned. They will transition once they are discharged or retired. That's why it isn't a "hardship".

As to the injections - you just totally refuse to acknowledge that a battlefield or deployment area is not the same as the civilian world. You want to put civilian parameters on the military - that is not reality.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The first paragraph is naive to say the least.

My friend was good enough to serve yesterday, today, he is processed out because he is diagnosed with a chronic illness (Rheumatoid Arthritis)

If the transgender did not need to take meds yesterday, he needs to take meds today, everyday, or every other day, for at least three months, then yes, he should be processed out.

It is a simple concept.
You're doing it again. Comparing a physical ailment that would cause physical performance problems with something that wouldn't. I wonder why you keep using these false equivalencies.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
The APA has not lent their approval to any conclusion of any one definitive study in transgenderism. The jury is still out on the subject within the community and that's why you cannot provide a citation. You are literally just talking out of your ass on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies