Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

I can't help think how appalled our Founding Fathers would be if they could see America now in general, and our so-called President in particular.

We have a richer country, and a freer country, than many, yet most people (among the 99%) either squander their opportunities or try to squeeze others dry (among the 1%). We've lost our pre-eminence in numerous ways, in numerous categories - heath, education, etc. Gifted with freedom, we've ended up with a President who cozies up to authoritarian leaders and fancies himself one as well. He now moves to cut back other freedoms and safeguards as well, most recently jeopardizing even our water supply.

Our founding Fathers weren't perfect of course - they sometimes did underhanded things, and I imagine one or two people here would rush to point out that some were slave-owners, for instance. But overall they were certainly more admirable than most of what is presently in power. Imagine what Washington, known for his dignity and courtesy, would have thought of Trump's vulgarity and penchant for insulting people right and left. Imagine what Jefferson, so intellectual, would have thought of Trump's ignorance. Or imagine Franklin, who preached hard work and abstemiousness.

I tend to think of John Adams around the Fourth of July: "Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

It's enough to make one weep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 11:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I can't help think how appalled our Founding Fathers would be if they could see America now in general, and our so-called President in particular.

When GW, JR was in office I didn't think things could get any worse. And I've said this before I would take his stupid arse back over Trump. Whatever the founding fathers thought of GW I'm sure whatever they are thinking now is worse.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I'm sorry you feel that way.

I love America myself, and I'm proud and happy to be a citizen here. I have a very optimistic view for our future. Everybody I personally know, young and old, is prospering and living good lives. The doom and gloom that we voluntarily expose ourselves to by coming to forums such as this has not tarnished my opinion of the U.S.

Tough times and rough political cycles come and go. Tough people chug their way through and remain optimistic.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
OP hasn't read much history.

(Read some of the stuff the Founding Fathers said about and to each other.)

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
America is doing great. There have been plenty of tough times and I'm here to tell you this isn't one of them. My depression era parents, my WWII veteran uncle and father-in-law (RIP) would spit on the ground and laugh in the face of whiny losers winging about how bad things are in America. In fact they would flat out say that people like you are the worst thing that's happened to America. Toughen up buttercup.

I'll nourish myself this 4th on hotdogs, watermelon and your tears.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
America is doing great. There have been plenty of tough times and I'm here to tell you this isn't one of them. My depression era parents, my WWII veteran uncle and father-in-law (RIP) would spit on the ground and laugh in the face of whiny losers winging about how bad things are in America. In fact they would flat out say that people like you are the worst thing that's happened to America. Toughen up buttercup.

I'll nourish myself this 4th on hotdogs, watermelon and your tears.
Exactly. The OP's post lost all credibility when he/she said "so-called president."

Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

We have a richer country, and a freer country, than many, yet most people (among the 99%) either squander their opportunities or try to squeeze others dry (among the 1%). We've lost our pre-eminence in numerous ways, in numerous categories - heath, education, etc. Gifted with freedom, we've ended up with a President who cozies up to authoritarian leaders and fancies himself one as well. He now moves to cut back other freedoms and safeguards as well, most recently jeopardizing even our water supply.

Our founding Fathers weren't perfect of course - they sometimes did underhanded things, and I imagine one or two people here would rush to point out that some were slave-owners, for instance. But overall they were certainly more admirable than most of what is presently in power. Imagine what Washington, known for his dignity and courtesy, would have thought of Trump's vulgarity and penchant for insulting people right and left. Imagine what Jefferson, so intellectual, would have thought of Trump's ignorance. Or imagine Franklin, who preached hard work and abstemiousness.

I tend to think of John Adams around the Fourth of July: "Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

That's a lot of words just to take the opportunity to bash Trump. You could have used less words to say the same thing.

Re: this country and what our Founding Fathers would think, I would imagine that they would look and see that millions of people across the world are scrambling to try and reach the shores of this nation. That this country had free elections and that citizens freely made a choice for president - and that a lot of citizens in a lot of nations in the world do not have that same opportunity. And they would know that this country is not made up solely of its politicians. It is made up of the 320 million people who live and work across this nation. And most of those 320 million people are good and decent citizens of a mostly good and decent country.

Bless the United States of America. Have a Happy July 4th everyone.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:16 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way.

I love America myself, and I'm proud and happy to be a citizen here. I have a very optimistic view for our future. Everybody I personally know, young and old, is prospering and living good lives. The doom and gloom that we voluntarily expose ourselves to by coming to forums such as this has not tarnished my opinion of the U.S.

Tough times and rough political cycles come and go. Tough people chug their way through and remain optimistic.

I, too, am happy to be here. And it's wonderful that everyone you know personally is happy and doing well.

However, that makes me wonder if you live in a very narrow, sheltered circle, or if you ever interact with people outside your circle. I certainly know people who aren't all prospering. I have some older acquaintances who, though still living comfortably, are very worried about their ability to stay afloat. One can't afford a hearing aid. One has something that jeopardizes the safety of the house, but can't afford the $1,000 to fix the problem. I also have friends who worry about their jobs, as they work in fields that are both useful and were once stable, but are now increasingly iffy - journalists and teachers.

It also makes me wonder if you do much reading. It doesn't take much to see that there are both excellent books (such as Evicted, by Matthew Desmond) and articles (Kushnerville, by Alex MacGillis) that make it clear that many, many people are desperate. If you're at all well-informed, you know that there is a disturbingly high rate of young adults living at home because they can't get a decent job. Surely you must know that some people have two, or even three jobs. Surely you must know that our international standing in health care is dismal - we spend more, with worse results.

It's true that there are cycles of tough times. However, I don't think we've ever before had a president so willing to jettison citizen rights and citizen protections, and certainly not one who spewed such violent divisive rhetoric.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
How about instead of blatting, for once go do something American.

I spent the morning getting Pork, ribs, steaks, burgers, hot dogs, sausages and peppers $1200 in fireworks and about 300 in rum beer whiskey fruit juices and soda to make drinks with.
Just ordered a couple Spikes lowers and uppers and took advantage of a few 4th of July ammo blow out sales.

When does the incessant whining end? Go celebrate your freedom or sit in the corner... I can't imagine how miserable one must be.

Go do something other than cry you'll be thankful you did...

Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Imagine how shocked that the founders would be to see the collectivist nightmare that we have become. They revolted against their government, for what is now obviously infinitely insignificant in comparison to the constant and ever growing aggression of the government upon the people. Now our entire nation is nothing but an institution of government aggression upon the individual to destroy individual freedom. The exact opposite of what the founders were attempting to create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies