Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:57 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,865,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Maybe India should force us to not eat cow.
I agree with your point here. I'm an animal lover and a dog owner, but I don't have a problem with the fact that a segment of the Chinese population (however small) eat dog. I don't consider it worse than eating cow or pig or lamb or deer.

What I DO have a problem with is the torture inflicted on the animals, reportedly carried out in full public display. Awful! Is that necessary? I recently heard a Westerner who'd been to the dog meat festival in China say that witnessing that cruelty will permanently damage your soul.

Having said that, I also am fully aware of the cruelty that domesticated cows, pigs, etc endure behind the scenes at farms and processing plants across North America.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,865,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, we can't really point fingers given our tremendously inhumane industrial farming complex.

But, the deliberate torture aspect of the Yulin festival is horrendous, and yes, I think they should stop.
This. Exactly.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,592,392 times
I wonder how dog meat tastes? Maybe I'll try some one day.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,789,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with your point here. I'm an animal lover and a dog owner, but I don't have a problem with the fact that a segment of the Chinese population (however small) eat dog. I don't consider it worse than eating cow or pig or lamb or deer.

What I DO have a problem with is the torture inflicted on the animals, reportedly carried out in full public display. Awful! Is that necessary? I recently heard a Westerner who'd been to the dog meat festival in China say that witnessing that cruelty will permanently damage your soul.

Having said that, I also am fully aware of the cruelty that domesticated cows, pigs, etc endure behind the scenes at farms and processing plants across North America.
Thank you that someone finally addressed this issue and double standard.

Many Americans are willfully ignorant of the torture that many animals go through in order to satiate their greedy and selfish demands for pork chops, bacon, cheeseburgers, fried chicken, etc. etc. This is just one of many defense mechanisms they use to downplay or outright ignore the suffering of animals in the meat industry.

It's perfectly fine for these people to demonize an entire nationality because a small segment of that population kill and eat dogs or whales and dolphins. Yet because the torture of animals in America happen mostly behind the scenes and only uncovered through brave investigative work, they claim that the animals they eat are 'humanely' killed by comparison. What hogwash.

The torture of all animals in the meat industry is just as egregious as torturing and killing of dogs or dolphins, the meat eaters need to stop fooling themselves here and across the country. In fact, due to the sheer scale of this torture and murder, millions of chickens, cows, pigs, it's even worse.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 AM

7,498 posts, read 6,294,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wonder how dog meat tastes? Maybe I'll try some one day.
As a soldier during WW1, my Dad ate dog meat with a French family. He said it was very good. I served in Korea in 1957-58 and meat shops in Seoul had dog carcasses hanging .My son visited Bejing and had dog meat at a restaurant. He said it was ok. I haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,493,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When you say "Chinese blah blah" you'd better check the facts first.

I lived in China for over 20 years and never heard of such a theory, not to mention believe it. The first time I heard of it is several days ago from Fox News (a very reliable source huh?) Two activists with some agenda answered a "trap question" asked by Tucker Carlson. I hope you did not get your story from that ridiculous interview.

China is extremely diverse and often times people from 50 miles away speak totally different languages. Never over-generate!
I agree 100% on your observations about China. I lived in China a little less than two years, back many times since and planning another trip soon, but never encountered that theory.

And yes, one can travel short distances and find the language has changed. Even within the same language one can pinpoint the locale a person is from very accurately if listening closely, so divergent it is. China is like all of Europe in scale, one wouldn't attribute to the Swedes something one knows about Portugal, but generalities about China are false in just the same way.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,612,627 times
Animal equality! Stop animal discrimination! All animals must be treated the same! Dog privilege must stop!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:35 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,589,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Using bear bile in "medicine" has been banned in China for years. Of course biased people like you will never learn.
For years?

In 2012, Chinese authors, Xia Sheng, Haolin Zhang, and Qiang Weng, advised that some 10,000 bears are farmed in China to procure their bile for traditional Chinese medicine and argued that this cruel practice has stimulated a wave of condemnation across China.

As of October 2014, bear bile farming was still legal in China, but regulations were passed to end the worst cruelty of the industry. It is reported that these regulations were often circumvented or ignored and that at there were no prosecutions underway (in late 2014).

As of April 2015, bear bile farming – which houses bears in tiny cages for the breadth of their life in order to repeatedly extract their bile for use in Chinese medicine - was still going strong.

In April 2016, a survey revealed overwhelming support within China to end the bear bile industry – over 97% of Chinese people believe it is very cruel.

Can you cite Chinese legislation that has been passed and enforced "for years" banning the the use of bile in "medicine"?

Please show me how I am biased. I am willing to learn!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,589,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you that someone finally addressed this issue and double standard.
There is no double standard when one advocates humane treatment of all animals everywhere.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 AM

26,053 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When will it be time for Americans and others to stop attempting to force their beliefs and culture on others?

If you do not like the culture/traditions don't read about it, look at photos, eat it or visit, problem solved.
And, at what point does it become unacceptable for people with other beliefs and culture to come to the US and try to force our county to suit them? Thinking Muslim and the bacon at the prison, sharia law, having Muslim religious holidays close public schools and if overrun by Chinese, they would be eating dogs here! Catholic Social Services brought in some of the Vietnamese refugees into a town we were living in. They were going to Animal Control to get dogs and slaughtering them in their garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yes, it's disgusting and sad to hear they torture animals.
Remember when the US had standards for trading with countries? I don't think that they treat many of their citizens much better either, first then, they'll need to address "human" rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why should anyone try to change their cultural choices? If they like dog meat, it is up to them to decide how to regulate it.
This is great reason to ban anyone coming into our country that doesn't fit OUR culture. Of course, that would be wrong, right?

They are savages, and savages do such things. As I said, "human" rights need work there, so what would one expect when it came to animal rights.

I suppose they do it in our country too, but it isn't advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies