Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:20 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Reagan may have put things more politely, but he didn't take any crap either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I was no fan of Reagan, but he had class and was a gentleman, in contrast to the spoiled-brat man-child now occupying the White House.
Being polite while not taking crap is a big deal and a big difference.

I served under six presidents while in the military, and while I had disagreements with a lot of Reagan's domestic policy, I totally respected him as my leader, as did everyone else in the Executive Branch, regardless of political bent. Reagan didn't "trip" or "trigger." Reagan did not demand loyalty, he conferred loyalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'll bet you smeared Reagan at every opportunity when he was President, just like you do with Trump and any other non-LWNJ.
No, I disagreed with him about 80% of the time. He was semi-senile, that's somewhat excusable. Trumpty Dumpty is a pile of feces! Does that clarify it for you?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
When I was a teenager in the 60s, we believed we could fix the world.

We were wrong.

But it's better being young with false hope than being young without hope.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I was no fan of Reagan, but he had class and was a gentleman, in contrast to the spoiled-brat man-child now occupying the White House.
I was a little too young for Reagan but basically Reagan ended up leading us to 2008, even if it was twenty years after he was last in power. The problem with a President is their effects are often handed down to one or even two presidents after. H.W. Bush had the dark days of Reaganomics strike him. W. Bush on top of the B. Clinton recession dealt with errors of foreign policy dating back to Reagan leading us into Iraq after Afghanistan. H.W. Bush took the UN's ideas and rather than capture and try Saddam for the same war crimes we did in 2000's, let him in power for another 10 years despite sanctions issues under Clinton. Clinton dealt with terrorism as would W. Bush. Obama had to deal with the second W. Bush recession, two W. Bush credit card wars and growing hatred of America by Muslims that existed even into Nixon, Ford and Carter. Trump has to deal with all of this and his own issues with foreign leaders and domestic policy. Reagan never really had issues with foreign leaders like Trump has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'll bet you smeared Reagan at every opportunity when he was President, just like you do with Trump and any other non-LWNJ.
As my above comment, I'm not fond of Reagan but he did one thing right, help end the Cold War. We had no business being in it. We should seek partnership with Russia but at the same time give them tough love when need be like Reagan did. Trump can't. Trump also is far more unstable to handle Beroit like Reagan did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Being polite while not taking crap is a big deal and a big difference.

I served under six presidents while in the military, and while I had disagreements with a lot of Reagan's domestic policy, I totally respected him as my leader, as did everyone else in the Executive Branch, regardless of political bent. Reagan didn't "trip" or "trigger." Reagan did not demand loyalty, he conferred loyalty.
Reagan foreign policy wise was much better than Trump. Reagan also didn't troll his haters like Trump. Trump is just a petty little man. I wish I could elect Ronnie over him to be honest.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I was alive for 25 years, but I wish I could've grown up in another decade, even if it was only 5-6 years before I was actually born it may have been better. Please don't tell me that I am only feeling nostalgia or having rose-colored glasses. It's very frustrating and painful to watch society go downhill in 2017. It's very painful and frustrating to see people in society being more unfit and unhealthy than they were in 1980s (referencing another posted thread). I don't feel like I can escape these problems of society. I would even say it's collectively unfair to my own generation, the only generation who will be worse off than their parents.

I for one wish we can be healthy and exercise, and be a fit society again, without having to resort to quick fixes or fancy technology about it. It's making effort obsolete and turning society into lazy people. Back in the 80s there was still smoking, but at least people back then spoke up against it. People are too afraid to speak up against anything today, including obesity. I think the only option left is collective rebellion against the rest of society. I hate not being able to speak my mind without someone else being offended. I hate those who preach about those who complain about PC are devils. And I mean hate. Why can't anybody say they HATE them/it? Somebody has to, and it's about time.

The other funny thing about the above is that those (mostly liberals) say they want the government to intervene in our decisions to help curb away this epidemic. Yet, they aren't saying anything about shaming obesity and are instead acting the opposite.

Having the speech police monitor whatever you say or think about any group (unhealthy/obese, homosexual, etc.) is worse than actual discrimination.

Sometimes, it makes me not want to grow up anymore than I have. What's the point of enjoying it when society is going into decline or collapse?
You've identified a few problems. As far as obesity, we do need a societal shift and we are seeing a certain proportion of the population take action to do so. The overall society needs to be given true nutritional facts instead of marketing by certain industries that people fall prey to.

About Political Correctness, they have had their way for decades but Trump is the best fighter against PC in my lifetime....hopefully this will lead to more open speech.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:50 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Gets worse ghostee...

Society has collectively gotten lazier...
Look at the whole autonomous car thing...

If I had it my way, not 1 single vehicle in America would have an automatic transmission. Not a single one.

Can't text and upshift/downshift

Become too dependent upon technology and those like you and me who respect and appreciate the way things once we're are considered troglodytes. But when/if the grid goes down chaos would reign supreme, I'd be content...
That's what I was saying the other day to my daughter. I want her to get a car with a standard transmission. Besides making it hard to text or eat, it's a lot more fun!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Study history. Things are often crappy for the majority of humans on the planet at any given time.

Don't dwell on the negative.

Make a positive life for yourself.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I was alive for 25 years, but I wish I could've grown up in another decade, even if it was only 5-6 years before I was actually born it may have been better. Please don't tell me that I am only feeling nostalgia or having rose-colored glasses. It's very frustrating and painful to watch society go downhill in 2017. It's very painful and frustrating to see people in society being more unfit and unhealthy than they were in 1980s (referencing another posted thread). I don't feel like I can escape these problems of society. I would even say it's collectively unfair to my own generation, the only generation who will be worse off than their parents.

You're young. Be bold. Live abroad.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Reagan foreign policy wise was much better than Trump. Reagan also didn't troll his haters like Trump. Trump is just a petty little man. I wish I could elect Ronnie over him to be honest.
I was fortunate to serve under two Presidents, Reagan and G.H.W. Bush. I didn't care for the social or economic policies of either, and I also did not like their foreign policies, which was to foment civil war in Central America. But I can say these were Presidents who took care of their military, and I don't mean by buying them shiny new weapons, although they did that too. They took care of us by not squandering our lives like the next Republican President would, followed by Pres. Obama, who was infinitely better but still wedded to the M.I.C and war in Afghanistan.

What has changed dramatically is the people in charge no longer care about those under their command, either in the military or the poor and struggling population out there.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:58 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Because I can't put a 4 barrel and monster solid lifter cam in a horse...

Or attach a Hurst shifter to said horse...

Well, you can, but the ASPCA would have lots of cows. Like all of them. And if you buy a male horse, he's already got a shifter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies