Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:11 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned in other threads, the issue is that there's no accounting for inflation. A sudden increase from $7.25 to a much larger number (and $15.00 may not be the right number) has the nasty side effect of sending potential shock waves through the economy, creating fast inflation in certain sectors.

What really doesn't make sense is that Social Security and SSI recipients do have their benefits payments account for inflation. The minimum wage hasn't increased in 8 years. It's even been worse, because minimum wage didn't increase at all between 1997 to 2007 (a full decade!) either. There has been lots of inflation during those time periods, so the buying power has actually decreased.

SSI and Social Security recipients have a much more consistent cost of living increase, and although modest, at least it's more than working people have gotten, which is nothing. An unscrupulous person who may not be capable of earning more than minimum wage is encouraged to misuse the system, or at best not strive to push themselves out of receiving benefits even if they (barely) qualify. That person ends up having a better financial incentive to stay home and not go to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I didn't read this.

Whenever you increase minimum wage, all you do is lower my once decent wage.

Math that.
They were talking $15.00 an hour. Here we have manufacturing jobs that pay anywhere from $8.25 to $12.00 an hour to start, and these people work hard for the money, many 12 hour days. So, if I could $15.00 an hour for greeting people at Wal-Mart............. Such jobs simply don't demand a wage of anything more than what is being paid, we can't pay people what they need, but what the job commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
McDonald

McDonald’s recently announced plans to roll out a new mobile ordering system at 14,000 locations by the end of 2017. In addition to the mobile push, McDonald’s will be adding in-restaurant ordering kiosks at 2,500 restaurants by year's end as part of its “Experience of the Future” initiative.

“Adoption of kiosk ordering should help reduce labor expenses by 200 to 300 [basis points], savings that can be reinvested into a stronger value offering to help recapture some of the concept’s lost traffic,” Saleh says in a note issued Thursday.

I'd rather have robots make my food than humans. I don't trust minority workers would not spit in my food because I'm white. I mean it. I haven't eaten fast food in years.
You must live in a terrible place if that goes on in fast food joints, and how sure are you that the white help won't spit in your food too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Nobody is expected to stay with minimum wage of their entire life.

If you do have minimum wage then get off your lazy rear end, back off the video games and get a second job and work 80 hours a week. If all you are worth is $8 an hour then that is what you are worth $8 an hour.

If all you do is worth $8 an hour what makes you think you deserve more?
Jobs are worth a certain amount to an employer. I don't think Dems understand it, despite their "higher education"!

What makes them think they deserve more? They think they should have everything that every other person has once they leave the "nest". As we know, the Dem party is the party of "freebies", heck, I'm surprised they even think about earning a living wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
should have applied yourself better and got a decent job where you didn't have to compare yourself to low wage earners

Math that
That doesn't compute. Here a factory worker gets a max to start of about $12.00, which is considered good for the area. As I said, a WalMart greeter or a "would you like fried with that" getting $15.00, certainly it doesn't take an advanced degree to figure that out. People here working for minimum wage or thereabouts generally work at least a part-time and/or weekend job until they can move up to a better position. Heck, the neighbor had 3 jobs until he got on as a mechanic with the railroad driving a 120 miles round trip per day to live in the lower cost of living area and his family is doing well and his wife cut her hours at work. IT CAN BE DONE or someone can sit around complaining about their situation waiting for Uncle Sam to give them a hand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yup, republicans are not just bad at math, but they have no desire to learn math, or research into anything complex (like wage, or health-care etc). They want simple answers and usually answers that are only good for them. This is why they are so easily fooled by their orange liege.....
Are you familiar with "cost accounting"? I suspect not. What do you liberals study anyway? "Feelings"? It actually is complex. There was a time that you worked whatever job or jobs you had to make it and paid for your own health-care, it was part of the lost art of "personal responsibility".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So you only go to restaurants that have no minorities in the kitchen? How exactly do you figure that out?
Imagine asking to see the help in the kitchen before you order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually it was NOT intended to be a starting wage, or a wage for teens. It was supposed to be a living wage.....and not JUst a livig wage, but a DECENT wage.

Roosevelt stated it thusly:
That was long ago before so many jobs were mechanized. When we had small family shops where they shared the profits among the family members. Factory jobs were something else, but those working retail and food service were most likely "mom and pop" situations.

Fast food and retail are often part-time jobs, or at least less than full-time. Since the 1960s those jobs were done by students, high school and college, mothers working part-time........ Then when the good jobs were shipped out of the country, in a scramble, others were taking these jobs. As we bring back jobs, those doing fast food and retail can move into those jobs and feel what it is like to work a job that pays a DECENT wage and they'll realize why it pays a DECENT wage and what they were doing before didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I do go to restaurants with minority workers, happily so, however I've never read any of the businesses I frequent employ minority workers who spit in the food of police officers, refused service to police officers, or had patrons complain about hateful conduct by their employees to whites or police officers. I don't buy fast food at all. I might if robots make the food instead of humans.
So, is the issue being "white" or being a "police officer". I think I am probably not the only one confused by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Lol.

First, if you make $8 an hour, you should be working at least 60 hours.

Second, you can rent a single room in most cities for $250 a month.

Third, you should be making minimum wages for no more than your first year of your adult life assuming you don't have a disability.
But, but they want to have nice stuff like everyone else does. They expect to leave the nest and have all the nice things they had when they were living at home. They feel "entitled" to have what everyone else have.

Again, I am surprised they are concerned about wages, since most want "freebies" from Uncle Sam.
I have heard them discussing a guaranteed livable income where they don't have to work at all, so this would be a step up from that.

I doubt many have studied cost accounting and without a background in that or just plain old common sense, we will never get them to understand how it works!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
You're not supposed to be "surviving" on minimum wage. It's an entry level wage. Anyone who is too dumb to move up from that deserves to be poor.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:25 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You are undoubtedly struggling to support yourself on $8 per hour (which I assume is the prevailing minimum wage in your area). In ours and other areas the minimum rate is between $11-$15 per hour ... however, the area cost of living is likely higher, thus the increased rate doesn't provide proportionately greater buying power.

The problem with unilaterally raising the minimum wage is that it drives the entire wage-chain upward. Since most businesses are not greedily sitting on excess wage money, they will be forced to raise prices, which, in-turn, will eat-up the perceived benefit of an increased minimum wage.

The politicians who keep promoting the notion of a universal $15 minimum wage - are only pandering for votes! If successful, they will be back in another couple of years soliciting $17-$20 minimum wage voters ... who aren't living any better on $15 per hour - than they previously lived on $8 per hour.

In the real world, there will always be people earning minimum wage who are unable to keep up with others who are earning more. But, that's not a problem that will ever be resolved by simply raising the minimum wage.
BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER.

Bob.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:27 PM

143 posts, read 98,716 times
Of course no one should work for minimum wage for an extended period of time, you right-wingers missed the point, didn't read, or both

The point is no one can survive on such low wages, anyone can clearly see this when doing some simple math as demonstrated earlier. Unless math, 2+2=4 is wrong too? We don't live in a perfect world, we can't round up all the poor and shoot them or "just get rid of them", there are large swathes of the population (many many millions) trying to survive on those low wages in 2017.

Just to re-iterate, we are not in the 1950's anymore.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You must live in a terrible place if that goes on in fast food joints, and how sure are you that the white help won't spit in your food too?

[snip]....is the issue being "white" or being a "police officer". I think I am probably not the only one confused by this.!
If a business employs people who will spit in a police officer's food I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem spitting in a white person's food. People who would do such a thing based on a uniform wouldn't have a problem doing the same to a white person, are prejudiced, and aren't rational people.

I live in a very Progressive city in a very Progressive neighborhood with great neighbors who don't push their politics on me, a Republican, and I would never do that to them either. I think most people who live near one another coexist together as long as we don't require others to think like we do, respect the laws, and keep our lawn mowed, lol. I've never had one negative interaction with any of them and consider some of my very Progressive neighbors true friends.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:31 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Of course no one should work for minimum wage for an extended period of time, you right-wingers missed the point, didn't read, or both

The point is no one can survive on such low wages, anyone can clearly see this when doing some simple math as demonstrated earlier. Unless math, 2+2=4 is wrong too? We don't live in a perfect world, we can't round up all the poor and shoot them or "just get rid of them", there are large swathes of the population (many many millions) trying to survive on those low wages in 2017.

Well, don't you know, those people deserve to be poor and destitute because they're just lazy.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:32 PM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
When I was paid by the hour I worked more than one job to make up the shortfall. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
[color="Red"]

[b]

Now before you say "well, those types of jobs are only for teenagers anyway", I just want to remind you that it's the year 2017 and many full-grown adults wind up working these poverty level McJobs. :
Doesn't alter Fair Market Value at all.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

Why is it that people of your political persuasion always talk about shooting people or rounding them up and sending them to camps?

You do know that in large swaths of the country $15 is top rate for journeymen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies