Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:38 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How am I in favor of polluting?

Where did you gather that? Or do you assume?

Because on trash day which was Monday morning, you placed recyclables in their own container.... shopping bags went inside said container...

Many grocery stores in both NY and MA had receptacles for old shopping bags. I figured they just took the bags and re used them...
And most people reuse these bags for lunch bags, dog poo bags, etc.

The environmental impact is negligible.

Meanwhile, paper bags use more energy to produce and distribute and are less reusable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So you ar for trashing the earth? Why? Laziness?
If you care about the environment, always use plastic bags. It's much better for the environment.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,220 times
I'm a liberal who voted against the California plastic bag ban. I used them to pick up after my dogs. I see more dog waste not picked up now, so I must not have been the only one.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,920,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Paper bags require lots more energy (and trees) to produce and distribute.

and this;

"The 2009 Keep America Beautiful Survey," Mangu-Ward wrote, "shows that all plastic bags, of which plastic retail bags are only a subset, are just 0.6 percent of visible litter nationwide."

Well, I'm not really an advocate for paper bags, either. I either use no bags (I buy what I can carry out), or I bring in my own reusable bags (often just a backpack, but sometimes one of that many reusable bags I've acquired over the years). Again, it's an inconvenience - but is really easy to get used to. I've been doing this for years, and I never buy one of the paper bags for 10 cents at check out.

That said, paper bags are far more biodegradable, which is by far the biggest issue I have with plastic bags. They simply do not disappear from the Earth in a timely manner (they'll break down into small particles first, often being ingested by the world's wildlife). It wouldn't be such a big deal if people disposed of them properly, re-used them, or recycled them - but most people do not, unfortunately.

Plastics in general - while immensely useful for humanity, are kind of horrible for the planet. Anything that gets us using less of them is a good thing in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,504,673 times
Quote:

Meanwhile, paper bags use more energy to produce and distribute and are less reusable.
Only thing I can think of is they figured I was chucking them out the window of my truck or something...

Where those bags went after trash day and what happened to them I have no idea...
I did my part...

Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,503,087 times
Quote:

How about reusable bags? We keep them in the car and bring them into stores. Last years.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you care about the environment, always use plastic bags. It's much better for the environment.
Nah - if you really care about the environment, use neither plastic or paper bags. Use a reusable bag that you can reuse over and over.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Only thing I can think of is they figured I was chucking them out the window of my truck or something...

Where those bags went after trash day and what happened to them I have no idea...
I did my part...
Most recycling facilities will not accept plastic grocery bags. You're welcome to throw them in your blue bin, but they will not be recycled properly.

But you can often recycle them at groceries or even places like Targets (my local Target has a plastic bag recycling bin).

https://www.plasticsmakeitpossible.c...recycling-bin/
Quote:
Most recycling facilities are set up to handle predominately rigid (hard) materials that are easier to separate using machinery: aluminum cans, glass bottles, plastic containers and lids, metal cans, cardboard/paper, etc. They generally don’t accept softer items such as your ready-for-retirement college sweatshirt, your beer stained carpeting or your stash of used grocery bags. It’s not that used plastic bags, wraps and film can’t be recycled into new materials – they simply require a different collection system and processing equipment than many curbside recycling programs provide.

So please don’t put plastic bags/wraps/film in your bin if your recycling program says NO. But please DO recycle them. It’s easy. Here’s how…

More than 18,000 retail locations across the country – such as large grocery chains, home improvement stores, Walmart, Target, etc. – provide collection bins for these plastic bags/wraps/film, usually in the storefront close to the main entrance.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Nah - if you really care about the environment, use neither plastic or paper bags. Use a reusable bag that you can reuse over and over.
This is actually very true!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,504,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
How about reusable bags? We keep them in the car and bring them into stores. Last years.
That's fine if you're in the know...

I had no clue such legislation was passed and was left at the counter looking like an idiot...

I lived in NY and hopped 5 minutes over the border to MA. I had no idea about it... my news came from Albany NY not MA...

So how was I lazy again? Or polluting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies