Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times

Advertisements

I remember the predictions that Trump would kill the stock market...uh, just the opposite

Trump would kill jobs...uh, lowest unemployment in 17 years

International tourism would die...uh nope, historical record

International travel to US on the rise | TheHill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Trump has don nothing to change the market other than watch it continue to clime as it has been for 6 years now.

He did nothing to create any new jobs and in fact the market is still in a real slow increase if that, while more retail stores close and medical clinics close and more people are laid off, including at Carrier.

Maybe they want to see the Nation before it is gone, like a history field trip.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
All I know is that local travel around here is down. How do I know? Because I live near a huge beachfront campground that is usually filled years in advance. RVs, big expensive trailers, etc.

I take my dog walking there and the owner said this is the first time EVER that they are not filled to capacity. His theory, from what his usual campers are saying, is that people are too uncertain about the future. They don't know if they're going to lose their health insurance, they don't know what's going to happen.

These are people who come from all over the country, not locals. He said people are hesitant until they know that's going to happen. Of course, if health insurance is yanked away, people won't be spending money on vacations. Not the middle class. These cuts will kill the middle class and help the rich.

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-06-2017 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
All I know is that local travel around here is down. How do I know? Because I live near a huge beachfront campground that is usually filled years in advance. RVs, big expensive trailers, etc.

I take my dog walking there and the owner said this is the first time EVER that they are not filled to capacity. His theory, from what his usual campers are saying, is that people are too uncertain about the future. They don't know if they're going to lose their health insurance, they don't know what's going to happen.

These are people who come from all over the country, not locals. He said people are hesitant until they know 2hat's going to happen. Of course, if health insurance is yanked away, people won't be spending money on vacations. Not the middle class. These cuts will kill the middle class and help the rich.
typical lib deflecting and trying to change the subject. This thread is a response to the fake news liberals were spouting that tourism to the US was dying because of Trump

Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
typical lib deflecting and trying to change the subject. This thread is a response to the fake news liberals were spouting that tourism to the US was dying because of Trump
You do not seem to know what the subject is, but yes we already know that trumplings do not like the truth, better grow a thicker skin there will a lot more truths coming your way while trumpy lasts.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Foaming lefties will simply make up new doomsday scenarios to bury their previous bs

Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Foaming lefties will simply make up new doomsday scenarios to bury their previous bs
Even in the article it said they projected a reduction in international tourism for the next 6 months due to the travel ban....despite record international tourism during Trump's short reign. The truth is, most people prefer to go somewhere that protects them rather than leaving them vulnerable.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Trump has don nothing to change the market other than watch it continue to clime as it has been for 6 years now.

He did nothing to create any new jobs and in fact the market is still in a real slow increase if that, while more retail stores close and medical clinics close and more people are laid off, including at Carrier.

Maybe they want to see the Nation before it is gone, like a history field trip.
6+ years of Republicans in control of Congress plus if you don't realize the immediate skyrocketing effect of Trump's election on the market beginning on day 1 after the election, well there's nothing I can do for you except shake my head in disbelief.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
6+ years of Republicans in control of Congress plus if you don't realize the immediate skyrocketing effect of Trump's election on the market beginning on day 1 after the election, well there's nothing I can do for you except shake my head in disbelief.
If you do not realize that markets almost always make a jump when a new President is installed, but other than that jump it has steadily risen as it has been for 6 years now, meaning that it started Before trump, long before. I would add a reminder that a rising market does not equate to a healthy economy, and markets can drop dramatically overnight, has happened time and time again and it will happen again soon, count on that. So that makes two of shaking our head over the other ones inability to see the Big Picture.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you do not realize that markets almost always make a jump when a new President is installed, but other than that jump it has steadily risen as it has been for 6 years now, meaning that it started Before trump, long before. I would add a reminder that a rising market does not equate to a healthy economy, and markets can drop dramatically overnight, has happened time and time again and it will happen again soon, count on that. So that makes two of shaking our head over the other ones inability to see the Big Picture.
Yes the market rose steadily for 6 years (which the Republican Congress was in control the entire time) but the market has never jumped for a President's election with immediacy before like it did with Trump's election....in comparison, the Dow Jones lost 500 points the day after Obama was elected in 2008 and lost another 2.3% after he was reelected in 2012.

Election Winner Election Day % change day after Election Day
Barack Obama (D)11/4/2008 =-5.27
Harry S. Truman (D)11/2/1948 =-4.6
Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)11/8/1932 =-4.42
Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)11/5/1940 = -3.32
Barack Obama (D)11/6/2012 =-2.37
George W. Bush (R)11/7/2000 =-1.58
Jimmy Carter (D)11/2/1976 =-1.14
Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)11/6/1956 =-1.03
Ronald Reagan (R)11/6/1984 =-0.73
William Clinton (D)11/3/1992 =-0.67
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies