Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And really, people need to stop blaming the baby boomers and Millennials for everything that's wrong with their lives.
As a Gen X'er I'll let those two groups fight it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,938,879 times
As the parent of a child who has always been an avid gamer, who was crowned world champion video gamer in 2011, who has been in the Guinness Book for gaming records nine years in a row, who graduated college *** Laude, who is also a competitive power lifter and who is gainfully employed, I think this article is complete bullsh*t.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This new generation is all about technology. This is our future.
The merits of that are debatable(as the OP illustrates), but that's not what I was responding to.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,816,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
As the parent of a child who has always been an avid gamer, who was crowned world champion video gamer in 2011, who has been in the Guinness Book for gaming records nine years in a row, who graduated college *** Laude, who is also a competitive power lifter and who is gainfully employed, I think this article is complete bullsh*t.
I have two gamer sons who are excellent young men having served/serving our country in a SCIF environment. But we do have concerns that the article raises regarding human interaction. College and studies are no problem and the work ethic is far beyond what I see in their peers. I am not worried about their ability to succeed but more about the possibility of loneliness down the road.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 AM

21,174 posts, read 19,780,533 times
At least they are not out on the streets causing trouble and having babies.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
As a former HS teacher who had extended contact with thousands of millenial teens, I have no worries about their work ethic or how well they'll perform in the world of work.

So relax. Take a deep breath.

It'll be OK.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 AM

143 posts, read 99,058 times
This is true, the economy is so crappy it just "isn't even worth it anymore" for a lot of young men to "try hard", i don't blame them to be honest. The real blame lies with society, the economy, the politicians, etc for making everyday life soooooo unbearable that many people are turning to the virtual world (hi-tech gadgets, social media, video games, distractions, etc) to cope.

Over on Twitch, all sorts of young men do nothing but play video games for 10-14 hours a day and live off of the donation and subscription money. Must be a good life, but then again it also highlights the failings and rot/decay of our modern society that the economy is soooooo crappy, sooooo lacking in REAL opportunity and upward-mobility for young men that dedicated streaming sites Twitch even exist at all

Then there is also the issue of having nothing to look forward to, marriage isn't what it used to be and fails over 50% of the time, in the past young men at least had eventually having a family to look forward to, but in 2017 there is no point as it will probably be a waste of money.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I have two gamer sons who are excellent young men having served/serving our country in a SCIF environment. But we do have concerns that the article raises regarding human interaction. College and studies are no problem and the work ethic is far beyond what I see in their peers. I am not worried about their ability to succeed but more about the possibility of loneliness down the road.

This.

I'm a young woman who plays video games. It's a good mental break from my high-stress day job and grad school.

The game is social, and notorious for being addictive. I can see it, though I don't feel compelled to play the way some people do. That said, the social element is misleading. I found that in my guild, about half of the people play because they're like me - working professionals looking for a way to burn off steam from our PJs - and the other half are people who have very little social outlet outside of online. Would all of the latter get out and have normal social interactions if the game didn't exist? Probably not, but we're losing some of them.

It seems to only be the men who blame it on the economy, though, which I've always found interesting. I've offered to help do mock interviews, review resumes and cover letters (sans personal info, obviously) or other career advice for people in my guild. The women take it. The men? Not so much. And yet it's always someone else's fault.

It's not just a Millennial thing, though. Some of the worst people socially in my guild are in their 40s or 50s!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post

Then there is also the issue of having nothing to look forward to, marriage isn't what it used to be and fails over 50% of the time, in the past young men at least had eventually having a family to look forward to, but in 2017 there is no point as it will probably be a waste of money.
Can thank the throw away society we've become. I've seen friends and cousins rush relationships and wind up divorced in 5-7 years.
That "til death do us part" and "for better or worse" line is meaningless.

Either sleep around risk health and unwanted pregnancies, or play house rush wanting to move in together and get married and have kids ASAP then battle with insecurities and jealousy after the first few months of the "honeymoon" stage lol.
Either extreme is a race to the bottom, hearing lines like oh don't hate the player hate the game... I'll sit that game out. Nope. Not worth it.

Video games aren't my thing. I can't sit still long enough. Plus I get pounding migraines from them. Why play need for speed when I can build a real vehicle. Why play call of Duty when I can pay the same for ammo and time to do simunition training that a console and a game costs...

Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,382,358 times
We have bigger issues to deal with. Like, the demented mentality it took to vote in Trump and continual support for him even while he's tearing down our democracy.

The video game generation is the least of my concerns. The Trump supporter is America's 'sum of all fears'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies