Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Ohio is sick of spending tax dollars to save druggies over and over again.
Ohio needs to spend that money on private prisons that can only make a profit if they have at least 95% capacity rates.

The only way out of this is to lock up as many Americans as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Ohio needs to spend that money on private prisons that can only make a profit if they have at least 95% capacity rates.

The only way out of this is to lock up as many Americans as possible!
Yep... (this is sarcasm)

1 - we can lock as many people up as possible, put whatever is left on welfare... and jump off the cliff... laughing like asylum inmates.

2 - we could stop this insane war on drugs, save $1T ($1,000,000,000,000.00) and use a small fraction of it to treat addicts, create rehab centers to rehab addicts and prevent future addictions... and reap a better economy.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Honestly law enforcement should not be carrying it. We ask more and more of law enforcement everyday. This should be in the hands of emt's. Medical professionals should be the ones that administer the drug. As much as I feel these users are responsible for their own situation I also understand the need for emergency personnel to save lives even if those lives are in danger directly caused by the person being saved. That being said there should be some legal ramifications of the user.
I agree. And while I won't fight against police departments carrying the antidote, I won't exactly demand that departments stock the thing either.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't stand Trump. But our local police complain that most of their work is finding or reviving drug addicts. They say they revive the same ones over and over.

There's got to be something better than letting them take drugs, reviving them with narcon, they go back to drugs, etc. I'm all for helping the poor, disabled, elderly--people who can't help it and didn't choose it. But most drug addicts -not ALL of them- decided to try drugs, knowing they would become addicted.

There needs to be jail or longterm treatment or just somehow keep them away from society. They're expensive to treat, they drag others down with them, they keep the police from doing their job. And there are too many heartbroken families due to drug addicts. What goog does narcon do except keep them alive so they can take more drugs?
The more you bring them back with Narcan, the more reckless they're going to get with their doses. Right now they don't think they're going to die because somebody will come along and "help" them.

You have made some some very good points.

I know some folks will bash me but I don't care: it's the truth.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The more you bring them back with Narcan, the more reckless they're going to get with their doses. Right now they don't think they're going to die because somebody will come along and "help" them.

You have made some some very good points.

I know some folks will bash me but I don't care: it's the truth.
Seems pretty hard-hearted to me. True, nonetheless.

As to the thinking ahead, you may have ran across more overdosing addicts than I ever did, but I don't recall ever running across an addict who thought much at all, much less thought far ahead enough to count on being revived.

Even when they had their wits about them, it wasn't much.

After all, Narcan is not that hard to get. Last I read, it cost under $200 for the nasal spray. With insurance, it's a co-pay. A thinking-ahead addict might keep one around.

A friend with their wits about them wouldn't be bad to have around either, but let's be realistic here.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I can see it now.

Ohio cop administers antidote injection with no medical qualifications, the person subsequently dies, doctors and juries doing Monday-morning quarterbacking announce that that was the wrong antidote or was administered the wrong way or something, and the guy's family sues the cop for everything he has (and sues the city, state, etc.) and wins.

How many antidotes will the cops administer after that goes down?
I understand your concern and agree. There's another concern my friend who is an officer (who has had this happen to him) told me about, related to this. After administering Norcan, some of those revived are livid about having their buzz killed, and can become...unhinged, which is also dangerous for the officer. I have no idea what the answer to either of these concerns is.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 AM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
all this shyte of letting them die unless it was their family member- dam people colder than ICE_ BRRR-

Old 07-10-2017, 06:10 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Honestly law enforcement should not be carrying it. We ask more and more of law enforcement everyday. This should be in the hands of emt's. Medical professionals should be the ones that administer the drug. As much as I feel these users are responsible for their own situation I also understand the need for emergency personnel to save lives even if those lives are in danger directly caused by the person being saved. That being said there should be some legal ramifications of the user.
"Honestly law enforcement should not be carrying it."

BINGO!

We KNOW if a LE "administers" a drug and something goes wrong he WILL be sued along with the police dept and the municipality who made the police and orderd him to do it.

"This should be in the hands of emt's."

Exactly!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Sheriff won't let his deputies carry overdose antidote - ABC News

We need to follow the Philippines lead. We waste so many resources on these parasites, ambulances, ER, prisons, police, crime, gibs etc. just put them out of their misery. I don't think ambulances should respond after the first overdose. Buy your own narcan if you want to revived and get your drug buddy to administer it.
To protect and to serve not a big slogan with you, eh?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:34 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Everyone likes this until its their kid OD'ing. Then comes the lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies