Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2017 View Post
Let it be known on this date I coined the term generation W

what is gen W it's is the worst generation / generation worst the worst generation to be part of if you were born between 1978 and 1985 give n take you are in the worst generation. When we turned 18 around 1998 that is when the jobs started getting bad. That is when instead if manufacturing you were expected to move around brown boxes in a warehouse for minimum wage . If you got lucky you may be still working in a warehouse as a forklift driver or supervisor making 12 an hour. If you got the short end if the stick in generation W you are working in the service industry. Can I help you? Can I help you? Can I help you? If you are in generation W in 2017 you are probably not doing good and things do not look like they will get better for generation worst.
Sorry but this made me laugh.

I was born in 1979. When I was 18 and graduated high school I went to college. While in college I worked minimum wage jobs for $6.25 in fast food and customer service.

I then worked at a bank making $15 an hour plus commission and worked my way up in various jobs to get where I am today along with (most importantly) making a lot of valuable professional networking relationships.

I've never worked in a factory or in a warehouse because my parents did and I didn't want their lives. Both of them have back and/or hip and/or knee and/or other joint problems due to their factory work. My mom actually worked in a warehouse and it contributed to a severe back condition she has today. I was advised to use my brain and work "smarter not harder" with my body and I followed that advice.

It is sad that so many people in our generation always want to blame other people for their personal issues but I honestly feel that is an "all generations" thing now since everyone is always complaining about how they don't have any opportunities in life.

Reminds me of a song that is reminiscent of me for growing up in the time that I did:

Quote:
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go

You only get one shot,do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Read more: Eminem - Lose Yourself Lyrics | MetroLyrics
See the bold in particular. I truly believe this is the case. Oftentimes younger people don't realize that they get a series of opportunities in life. If you don't take advantage of them, you may not ever get it again and so you will spend your life toiling away in a warehouse and struggling to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
that is a very small percent I bet if I researched. I mean my sister is doing good and I have a friend from hiogh school that got really lucky started a job in 98 and still works there worked his way up to 6 figures no college.

I had some chances I was in the navy have two degrees in two very dumb things was my mistake but all the times I just wanted a job that paid good they were not there. ]

My grandpa came to Chicago with a 5th grade education and worked as a machinist raised five kids and bought a house and enjoys his retirement pension that does not happen to the working class now.

I would brag about your step daughter to I brag about my sister but she got into banking and that is starting to go down hill no more brick and mortar they say.

anyways if your wondering the two degrees i wasted my GI Bill and regret psychology and sociology. I am currently thinking of starting my own business.
You should if its something you want to do, but know that you probably won't get paid much at all from your own business in the first couple years.

I had my own business along with a job for about 5 years and I figured out, I'd rather work for someone else. More vacation and better benefits working for other people.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times
Quote:

what is gen W it's is the worst generation / generation worst the worst generation to be part of if you were born between 1978 and 1985 give n take you are in the worst generation. When we turned 18 around 1998 that is when the jobs started getting bad. That is when instead if manufacturing you were expected to move around brown boxes in a warehouse for minimum wage . If you got lucky you may be still working in a warehouse as a forklift driver or supervisor making 12 an hour. If you got the short end if the stick in generation W you are working in the service industry. Can I help you? Can I help you? Can I help you? If you are in generation W in 2017 you are probably not doing good and things do not look like they will get better for generation worst.
Sounds like you came from generation "stupid".

Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is never a worse generation because each take us forward to new technology.
The newer generations may use the developing technology and therefore adopt the mistaken notion that they own it. But it always comes from the older generations.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but this made me laugh.

I was born in 1979. When I was 18 and graduated high school I went to college. While in college I worked minimum wage jobs for $6.25 in fast food and customer service.

I then worked at a bank making $15 an hour plus commission and worked my way up in various jobs to get where I am today along with (most importantly) making a lot of valuable professional networking relationships.

I've never worked in a factory or in a warehouse because my parents did and I didn't want their lives. Both of them have back and/or hip and/or knee and/or other joint problems due to their factory work. My mom actually worked in a warehouse and it contributed to a severe back condition she has today. I was advised to use my brain and work "smarter not harder" with my body and I followed that advice.

It is sad that so many people in our generation always want to blame other people for their personal issues but I honestly feel that is an "all generations" thing now since everyone is always complaining about how they don't have any opportunities in life.

Reminds me of a song that is reminiscent of me for growing up in the time that I did:

See the bold in particular. I truly believe this is the case. Oftentimes younger people don't realize that they get a series of opportunities in life. If you don't take advantage of them, you may not ever get it again and so you will spend your life toiling away in a warehouse and struggling to survive.
Yeah, born in 1978 and the OP's description doesn't match my experience either. The people I went to school with, most worked minimum or low wage jobs in high school and college. The vast majority are solidly middle class, commonly employed as civil servants or for a utility company, with a side hustle as well. Some got off to a later start than others for various reasons, but this is the kind of area where there is always money to be made if you are willing to hustle.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:16 PM

106 posts, read 112,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Sounds like you came from generation "stupid".

i am serious I really think some things caused a domino effect that really effected my generation.

here is an article I have not had time to research peer reviewed articles but I just googled right now to see when manufacturing jobs started to decline:

U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 - Mar. 29, 2016

Old 07-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yeah, born in 1978 and the OP's description doesn't match my experience either. The people I went to school with, most worked minimum or low wage jobs in high school and college. The vast majority are solidly middle class, commonly employed as civil servants or for a utility company, with a side hustle as well. Some got off to a later start than others for various reasons, but this is the kind of area where there is always money to be made if you are willing to hustle.

its not going to mach every experience it does not match my experience I had some chances. I joined the navy when I was 18 I went to college I worked at a bank when they started lowering staff due to less brick and mortar.

I worked on a tug boat, I served tables I hussled I am hussling right now delivering food. I worked as a case manager for homeless and people with sever mental health conditions. So it is my fault I did not stick to one of those things but I felt at the bank one I did not like it but there is always and still is rumors that there will not be personal bankers because everything can be done online.

I have not researched but just from common knowledge and tsalking to older people my generation had it hard I am not talking individually I am talking on the macro level. YOu posters on here start talking about yourself you need to think on the macro level I do not care about you I am saying there is a systematic problem and thirty years from now our society is going to be in a bad place when gen W does not have any pensions or social security benefits. Think the homeless problem is bad now?

When did the mental health problems start getting so bad? When were mass shootings starting to be so often in this generation this generation my generation is sick.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
i am serious I really think some things caused a domino effect that really effected my generation.

here is an article I have not had time to research peer reviewed articles but I just googled right now to see when manufacturing jobs started to decline:

U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 - Mar. 29, 2016
Manufacturing has declined, mostly due to automation and the moving of factories overseas.

As stated, both of my parents worked in factories. I would suggest instead of opening a business that you go to trade school.

I volunteer with youth and many of them have no desire to go to college. I always suggest they get into a trade/vocational training program while they are in high school so that they have some entry level experience and certifications once they graduate and can find decent employment. Usually once they get in somewhere they can move up easier with a bit more training/experience to a decent wage.

Also where I live, manufacturing is on the rise. However, you cannot get a job in factories that will be reliably safe from lay offs unless you work in the factor in a "skilled" position. Warehouse workers and assembly line jobs just aren't safe jobs. Learn how to fix the machines and you'll be safer or get into logistics/supply chain for manufacturers. We do have jobs where I live in factories but they start at $9 an hour to $12 an hour. Some make it up to $20-$30 an hour but they are prone to being laid off when work slows down or during time when maintenance is done on machines at their jobs. Skilled workers, engineers, and supply chain/logistic employees make $60k or above a year.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:

What a load of s***.

Get off your arse and create your own opportunities.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Manufacturing has declined, mostly due to automation and the moving of factories overseas.

As stated, both of my parents worked in factories. I would suggest instead of opening a business that you go to trade school.

I volunteer with youth and many of them have no desire to go to college. I always suggest they get into a trade/vocational training program while they are in high school so that they have some entry level experience and certifications once they graduate and can find decent employment. Usually once they get in somewhere they can move up easier with a bit more training/experience to a decent wage.

Also where I live, manufacturing is on the rise. However, you cannot get a job in factories that will be reliably safe from lay offs unless you work in the factor in a "skilled" position. Warehouse workers and assembly line jobs just aren't safe jobs. Learn how to fix the machines and you'll be safer or get into logistics/supply chain for manufacturers. We do have jobs where I live in factories but they start at $9 an hour to $12 an hour. Some make it up to $20-$30 an hour but they are prone to being laid off when work slows down or during time when maintenance is done on machines at their jobs. Skilled workers, engineers, and supply chain/logistic employees make $60k or above a year.
I am almost forty I have had a lot of jobs the one I messed up the most is when I got out of the navy I should have stayed in IT but I was sick of computers after working on them so much in the navy anyways.
in 2009 i worked on an assembly line making the cockpits for the worlds largest tractors for Caterpillar and gues how much I was making 10 dollars an hour that was not good enough that is when I went to a university using my GI Bill i chose the wrong degrees sociology and psychology worked in social services some jobes 10 dollars an hour. Not going to get masters so will go back to a trade school or start my own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies