Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,148,290 times

Advertisements

As you know, Trump has referred to Sessions as a "dumb southerner," and although he tried to deny it, other people corroborated the slur. But I was surprised to hear that Marla Maples, his second wife, was also from the South, and Trump had used the same slur about her parents.

So I was thinking - Trump already gets jokes made about his two foreign wives. And it's not just that they're foreign, but that they're from - excuse me - smaller "lesser" countries. I mean, it's not as if he married a British countess. He has had little relationship with his foreign in-laws, although now that Melania has imported her parents, Trump may be obliged to see them occasionally.

But what I find interesting is the implication that in each of the three marriages, he sought women from "lesser" backgrounds, from families where he could feel himself to be superior. In other words, he made sure they were people he could bully.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Trump did very well in South during the election. I wonder if there will be many southerners who will still hold him in high esteem now?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Trump did very well in South during the election. I wonder if there will be many southerners who will still hold him in high esteem now?

As compared to what Democrat?

Got a name for us?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
He also called the people of Iowa stupid, and they went ahead and voted for him.

Some people will take abuse and insults and not care. They hold themselves in such low esteem that they think a big fat orange bigmouth will make their lives better, even if he treats them like crap.

Thank you sir--may I have another?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Got a name for us?
Don't answer a question with a question.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Don't answer a question with a question.

The only point of this topic, beyond the daily "I hate Trump" jerkfest, is to somehow prove that Trump, due to anonymous sources nonsense, which this topic is 100% based on, is going to lose the South to a Democrat.

So tell us that Democrat.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:

Got a name for us?
I'm not sure that a specific name will be necessary. I'm thinking the "anyone-but-Trump" bloc will grow larger. We'll see.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 PM

25,827 posts, read 18,857,526 times
So let's see. Let me get this straight. If I say "dumb southerner," I am automatically referring to every person living in the southern United States? Or am I referring to a person who is dumb and lives in the south? If I say, "He's a dumb guy," am I saying all males are dumb or am I saying the person is dumb and happens to be male?

As for marriage, I thought marriage was about love, not about money or status? Seems like I've heard the term "trophy wife" before. So, I assume you think Trump should have married a high-society, wealthy "trophy wife"? Isn't that the kind of sexism you left-leaning folks disapprove of? Seems you'd be happy that Trump married a "commoner," rather than going with the typical sexist motives.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
The only point of this topic, beyond the daily "I hate Trump" jerkfest, is to somehow prove that Trump, due to anonymous sources nonsense, which this topic is 100% based on, is going to lose the South to a Democrat.

So tell us that Democrat.
Depends on what you call the south???

Virginia?
NC?
Georgia?
FL?

Have you noticed their voting patterns as of late? Those are very heavily populated states. Didn't Obama win Florida and VA twice?

VA was the very heart of the Confederacy.

I think NC has more reg. Dems than Republicans...and has been quite close in some recent elections (didn't a dem gov. win?).....

Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Depends on what you call the south???

Virginia?
NC?
Georgia?
FL?

Have you noticed their voting patterns as of late? Those are very heavily populated states. Didn't Obama win Florida and VA twice?

VA was the very heart of the Confederacy.

I think NC has more reg. Dems than Republicans...and has been quite close in some recent elections (didn't a dem gov. win?).....

Response
  • NC - Trump will win the next election.
  • Georgia - Trump will win the next election, by wide margin.
  • Florida - Trump will win the next election
  • VA - Possible win by Trump. The only part of the state that votes Democrat is NoVA due to the huge numbers of government workers. Trump is taking care of that too.
Summary.

Democrats have no chance in the South for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies