Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Have you looked out the window lately? It's not working out too well.
It's actually working out as it should. Most of the chaos is contained to regions, which was actually the expectation after WWI when the Middle East was carved up by the British and French. It was done for their self-interest, knowing it would probably lead to a series of collapses and renewals (more money to be made). Of course there are unforeseen circumstances, like the birth of Wahhabism, which is still contained to the Middle East, pockets in Africa, Northern Malaysia and small parts of the Philippines. The internet complicates matters because it leads radicalization of already mentally susceptible people, so you end up with flares in Western parts of the world.

Also given the nature of the news, you only hear about those pockets of violence and not anything else that's going on in the surrounding areas. So your mindset and worldview are skewed to see the world as much more inflamed then it is. But if you look at major metrics, you'll find significant improvements on a host of humanitarian issues, which means more people can live a relatively normal life and not join up in enormous hordes to come gut you and your family like a fish because they have nothing left to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I'm sure the Trumpster mouth breathers will come in here and chime in with binary garbage about how great this is without realizing the actual downstream effect this will have on the US, both in its soft power and from a "goodwill" standpoint. This completely ignore the humanitarian aspect as well. I'm sure they will say "Good more money for us." then they will cheer as they still lose healthcare and see any virtual penny saved by this spent on the military industrial complex or to fund tax cuts for the .1%...as somehow this is all part of #MAGA....
And I'm sure the mouth breathing Obama globalists will be on here decrying Americans that feel that they should be able to keep some of what they have earned. That their government will spend money protecting Americans. And that we don't give a crap about playing nursemaid to the rest of the world, and actually feel that other nations should do something for themselves and their own citizens.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
yes sure- b/c we truly live in a world where global problems never end up on your doorstep...the world is vast and not connected in anyway....
I also love how this supposed evangelical/Christian sect of society is so eager to let others suffer, as perfectly highlighted by your sentiments....
1. I am not a Christian. I'm agnostic.
2. Giving billions to corrupt governments changes nothing and in fact exasperates the suffering. Afghanistan for example.
3. Why do we invest in the UN if it doesn't do anything?
4. Do we not have a host of problems of our own that have gone ignored for far too long?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
I fully support cuts to the British Foreign Aid Budget which is now around $18 Billion USD a year.

I don't mind some foreign aid, but at a time when cuts are effecting people in our own country, I think this is far too excessive.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If we were serious about it, we wouldn't send cash. We would send teachers, and experts.
You mean hostages so the third world can exchange them for cash?

Does Europe have teachers and experts? they are closer

Too bad all the cash sent over the years, peace corp, humanitarian efforts never had any cumulative impact. None of these countries have evolved into self sustaining socio-political entities, just dependants whose legacy of corrupt leaders open swiss bank accounts on the backs of US taxpayers.

With all the engeneering efforts to build wells and irrigation systems over the decades, you'd think the people in those countries would take it upon themselves to spread the technology and help develop their countries. This is like twisting the proverb, 'teach a man to fish and you feed him for life....' distorted to.... 'if you constantly teach a man to fish, the man has no need to fish'

Would be nice if we could concentrate on South America.

Would be nice if Mexico had a government, though we should just annex Mexico. Mexican paople would be happy and the pseudo mexican government, who has no pride, would just think it was another day, ho hum.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Mean while Trump's defense proposal blew out the budget and you're worried about a few million in foreign aide.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Mean while Trump's defense proposal blew out the budget and you're worried about a few million in foreign aide.
Some of us are worried about all the above.
The "its just a few million" mentality is what allows the fed to waste billions. Those few millions add up after awhile.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
think of all the money we could have saved if Obama didn't start a war in Iraq

Old 07-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
think of all the money we could have saved if Obama didn't start a war in Iraq
Or continued it, or getting us involved in Libya and Syria, neither of which were any of our business.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks
Great news! Stop the redistribution of American wealth to other countries. This is one of the reasons why I voted for Trump. He's not one of these lunatic liberals who try to say that we should be embarrassed and ashamed for being a wealthy nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
That's fine by me.
Your last sentence made no ****ing sense and does't even slightly relate to this thread.
You might be a ***ing liberal then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies