Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 PM

587 posts, read 304,925 times

Advertisements

Yes
Our economy is based on supply and demand
more demand higher prices for Everything $$$$

and less jobs for American's

Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mostly once decent paying blue collared jobs such as construction, landscaping, hotel, restaurant work, etc.
The reason many blue collar jobs don't pay well any longer is the breaking of the labor/trade unions. Blaming that on foreigners is a red herring, the real reason is the business community working through the Chamber of Commerce and the Republican party have been pushing 'Right to Work' laws, which are really right to screw over the workers laws.

This should not surprise anyone.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Majority of Americans lack income mobility because you're getting a paycheck from dying industries gutted by ecommerce and foreign manufacturing.

Asian countries have less regulations so it's easier for someone there to start a business with low risk and get rich quicker than Americans here. I know someone who came here from China, he imported drywall from US to China and made a good profit and was able to come here and buy a good home with cash. He said he could not do the same here because US regulations here hurts small businesses.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, the large amount of legal and illegal immigration is having an impact on housing prices, especially rent. This is impacting the poor in the US more than anything, to the point where in some places, like Miami, people are paying over 50% of their income towards housing. The middle class and above are not impacted by this as much, the housing price increases have impacted those in the lower middle class and below the most.

Immigration has increased greatly since NAFTA took effect. At the same time, many work areas, like factories, that were spread throughout the US have closed down which ended up making cities the only viable source for jobs, which of course forces people to flood to the cities, and in practicality, you can only build so much housing and the demand skyrockets as does the prices. This also puts the cause not on just immigration, but the consolidation of work areas into cities.

Look at Arlington, VA for example. Since 2000, the rent and home prices have skyrocketed to absurdity, even as they build and build. Arlington has had a 20% increase in population since 2000. 28% of Arlington residents are foreign born. This has an impact on the housing prices.

This is not something that can be corrected, the issue is the way the economy is now, with a factory in Smithville, Ohio no longer there, but fifty different companies all centrally located in DC is. People go where the jobs are, and geographically, a place can only build so much housing.
The industrial supply chain has largely moved out of the Mid West into Mexico, Ontario, Canada, Texas, and the SE/S US. Not to mention the refining boom along the Gulf Coast due to cheap natural gas and other feedstocks. A lot of the population growth has been in the Sun Belt at the expense of other parts of the country, like the mid west and industrial areas of the NE.

People also forget that healthcare costs for employers and the public in general have been rising for over twenty years as we've become older and sicker overall; ACA fell way short of what it was intended to do for various reasons. Wages can't increase very much under these type of conditions.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
I don't really see "'too" much immigration being an issue in housing. It's pretty much supply and demand as many areas that need to densify are held back because of regulations, almost always NIMBY related, in metropolitan areas.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
When we say illegal immigrants, doesn't it usually mean Mexicans? Who will work as hard as a Mexican? Who will do the sorts of work Mexicans will do? Certainly few, if any. What will American farming do without field workers? What will cleaning companies, restaurants, dirt jobs? Not white America, not a chance. Give us a year, and all of us will see the effects of the round ups.......and the lack of immigrants.
So, you are saying all farms, cleaning companies, etc, are breaking the law by employing people who are not authorized to work in the US?

Are you saying none of these industries will exist if they cannot break the law?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
When we say illegal immigrants, doesn't it usually mean Mexicans? Who will work as hard as a Mexican? Who will do the sorts of work Mexicans will do? Certainly few, if any. What will American farming do without field workers? What will cleaning companies, restaurants, dirt jobs? Not white America, not a chance. Give us a year, and all of us will see the effects of the round ups.......and the lack of immigrants.
I don't understand how an American of Mexican decent is complaining about other Asian immigrants under false pretense of too much immigration and not considered this racist. BS in my book.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don't understand how an American of Mexican decent is complaining about other Asian immigrants under false pretense of too much immigration and not considered this racist. BS in my book.
I already said in an earlier post that I'm not making distinction about the nationality of the immigrants. Bottom line is that their sheer numbers are overtaking our resources and ability to live comfortable lives here. Too many people and too few housing opportunities have made it worse for native-born Americans. How many other countries would put up with this? The word is "descent", not "decent".

Old 07-16-2017, 10:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think so. Big cities like NYC and D.C. are still beneath their historical high populations but rents have never been higher.
But the DC metro area has increased greatly in population.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ this

Long Island is another example ... people here have an endless obsession with maintaining the 1950s style small town mentality with single family homes and mom n pop shops. In reality we need apartments, condos, townhomes, etc that are cheaper and more affordable for Millennials looking to start out, and retiring Boomers looking to downsize rather than be forced to move to Florida or North Carolina away from their family, friends, and familiar environment.

I tell ya Unbrainwashed ... you need to start thinking about running for office. We need your common sense!
" and retiring Boomers looking to downsize rather than be forced to move to Florida or North Carolina away from their family, friends, and familiar environment."

Please STOP thinking YOU speak for any one BUT yourself.

The price of HOUSING had NOTHING to do with me moving to NC and my many neighbors who also moved here from the Mid -Atlantic and the north.

Rather then making uneducated assumptions about WHY they moved south, I ACTUALLY asked them.

High TAXES and loony liberals running everything were a major reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies