Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Spitting on veterans is a rightwing invention to focus outrage on those opposing the war instead of where it belongs, on those who started it.
And, how old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:21 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
Wimp

Better a wimp than coming-back with one-leg and half a face for an immoral, stupid war that the
USA's Global-Warhawks cooked-up

Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Better a wimp than coming-back with one-leg and half a face for an immoral, stupid war that the
USA's Global-Warhawks cooked-up
Some spoiled little brats are VERY selfish and only think of themselves!

If they saw some little old lady be knocked down by some thug, they probably would keep on walking nd not give he another thought.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some spoiled little brats are VERY selfish and only think of themselves!

If they saw some little old lady be knocked down by some thug, they probably would keep on walking nd not give he another thought.

Humans, by nature, are selfish and think of themselves first...........it is a survival mechanism. You can override that instinct, but sometimes ignoring that instinct will cause you great harm. That is why I would not "participate" in ANY war, unless it was truly for defense of the country, not some BS reason some Neocon-Chickenhawk, or similar, cooked-up.

All those military-people who came back from the USA's recent spate of Global-Warhawking, totally mutilated or worse, that is very sad.

All the RahRah-USA nonsense, yeah, I ain't buyin into it......along with all the dog-worship
and football-worship, count me out.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Humans, by nature, are selfish and think of themselves first...........it is a survival mechanism. You can override that instinct, but sometimes ignoring that instinct will cause you great harm. That is why I would not "participate" in ANY war, unless it was truly for defense of the country, not some BS reason some Neocon-Chickenhawk, or similar, cooked-up.

All those military-people who came back from the USA's recent spate of Global-Warhawking, totally mutilated or worse, that is very sad.

All the RahRah-USA nonsense, yeah, I ain't buyin into it......along with all the dog-worship
and football-worship, count me out.
I don't have any problems with this, at least you are honest. I admire honest people with an honest opinion.

Plus, military is not for everyone.

This said, and this message is not directed at you, for those who say "I will serve if my country is under attack", I would have to take their words for it. Human nature doesn't work this way ; it still takes courage to defend your fellow countrymen. Talk is cheap. So there is NO difference between a ww2 vet and a Vietnam vet. It takes a special kind of personality and a lot of courage to be willing to make the sacrifices.

Plus, no one can just pick up a gun and shoot, lol That is liability anyway. You need proper training in order to be an infantry man. So yes, we need people to serve in the military even during the peace time.

Again, this post is not directed at you, I think many people have this very odd views about military. They believe military is all about blowing things up and killing people. LOL

There are a lot of hostage rescue operations too.

P.s. I think people should read Lt. Col. Dave Grossman’s work On Killing.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-20-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Even on this thread people have to bash each other on dem vs repub or lib vs conservative? I suspect when all the vets were under fire what their buddy was didn't matter just that they had each others back.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, military service is not for everybody. I don't look down on draft dodgers. Who knows what I would do? Maybe I'd pee in my pants.

However, let's not pretend draft dodgers are some kind of anti-war heroes. They are just average folks who are afraid to die (nothing wrong with it). Tell it like it is. No need to sugar coat the whole thing.

The soldiers/Marines will march with 100-pound packs, mount an attack that will include tanks, then dig a defensive position. They'll practice pulling a wounded soldier/Marine to safety. They'll crawl over obstacles. Climb mountains and cliffs. It takes a special kind of personality to be a hardcore infantry man.

Courageous. Noble. Honorable. Just some of the adjectives used to describe military men. It should NEVER change. If you want to blame, blame the ones who started the war.

What is the difference between a ww2 vet and a Vietnam vet?
One participated in a war against an aggressive fascist regime that was threatening the entire globe and committing genocide and war crimes on a massive scale.

The other participated in a completely pointless conflict resulting in the deaths of millions of innocent people just so US politicians could score rhetorical points and accrue votes with their fear mongering about the "domino theory" and communists taking over.

The Vietnam War is especially ironic now given that we have an American President that actively conspired with Russia to rig an election and has borrowed millions of dollars from Russian oligarchs. The very same people and country that was used as a pretext to send thousands of brave soldiers to their deaths to keep them and their influence from infecting governments around the globe.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
One participated in a war against an aggressive fascist regime that was threatening the entire globe and committing genocide and war crimes on a massive scale.

The other participated in a completely pointless conflict resulting in the deaths of millions of innocent people just so US politicians could score rhetorical points and accrue votes with their fear mongering about the "domino theory" and communists taking over.

The Vietnam War is especially ironic now given that we have an American President that actively conspired with Russia to rig an election and has borrowed millions of dollars from Russian oligarchs. The very same people and country that was used as a pretext to send thousands of brave soldiers to their deaths to keep them and their influence from infecting governments around the globe.
well, should you treat ww2 vets and Vietnam vets differently then? That seems to be the topic of the thread. Everyone already knew Vietnam war was useless.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4Q-RSQCq0

Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
They should have did a few underground nuke tests along the Ho Chi Minh trail and the war would have been a done deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies