Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,281,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
How come BLM organizes a march when a BLACK police officer shoots a WHITE citizen? The entire purpose of BLM is that .. black lives matter. Not that police offers make mistakes? Or the police department make a mistake hiring individuals?

Here's my take: the police officer hired wasn't qualified for the job: he had a few complaints already prior to the shooting (supposedly that's not normal), and he panicked at this particular scene. So to me, Minneapolis PC is to blame for making sure to have someone on the force who is 'diverse', but that's about it.
Without agreeing or disagreeing with what the poster who you quoted said but:
The question of yours, which I bolded was answered in the very post you quoted. Did you mean to say that you disagree with it perhaps?
Below is the post again: The answer is clearly in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Black Lives Matter organized a march in Minneapolis to protest this shooting. There has always been a significant white contingent at previous BLM marches in Minneapolis to protest other police shootings so it shouldn't be a surprise that BLM were out protesting this one too. The core issue is that policing in Minneapolis, and the US as a whole is broken. Usually the victims of it are black but in this case they are white. The underlying point is to fix policing so that people stop getting shot for no reason. That is a cause that should transcend race.
Regarding your take on the matter. Would you consider the white cops who shot that unarmed citizens also PC hires and blame the city or county?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yes. Police have a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. A civilian fighting back is an offense against order and civilization.
"he wouldnt comply so I shot him from thirty feet, he wouldnt comply, he has to comply, Im the cop"
I don't get your point. But I respectfully disagree that anyone has a right to defy a valid instruction from a police officer. I cannot countenance combat against the forces of the law.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,281,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't get your point. But I respectfully disagree that anyone has a right to defy a valid instruction from a police officer. I cannot countenance combat against the forces of the law.
Good thing a bunch of people in the US (back then new colonies I guess) did not quite see it that way. Otherwise DC would still be flying the Union Jack.

All kidding aside, of course in any functioning society order must be maintained and rules followed.
But that does not mean, that the "enforcers" should be judge, jury and executioner and any type of dissent should be met with lethal force. Unless of course one prefers a totalitarian state.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
I remember seeing an article a couple years ago that stated in a ten year period, from 2005 to 2015, I believe, there were thousands of incidents where police fatally shot people, with only 54 being charged or acquitted. In one case they found the video didn't at all match the version of the incident the cop wrote up, he wasn't found guilty but was fired, only to be hired by another department.

Since more white people than black people are killed by cops each year, don't you think the number would be higher than 54 if this was an issue against one race?

Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not with you on this one. I know some folks are trying to compare this to cases where black males have been shot, but this isn't the same situation by any means.

In today's climate, the expectations for what a cop may do when he stops you is clear.

The expectations for the encounter when you call a cop are different.
Yeah they are definitely different, I thought I would see the same victim blaming rhetoric here.
I guess that's a good thing though, no one wants to think they can get killed when they call the cops for help.
I m sure she didn't think she would get killed just for walking up to them. Maybe she didn't imagine it would be an issue.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Good thing a bunch of people in the US (back then new colonies I guess) did not quite see it that way. Otherwise DC would still be flying the Union Jack.

All kidding aside, of course in any functioning society order must be maintained and rules followed.
But that does not mean, that the "enforcers" should be judge, jury and executioner and any type of dissent should be met with lethal force. Unless of course one prefers a totalitarian state.
There's a fine line. But history is written by the victors. If we had lost the Revolutionary War you can be sure some people would have received some terminally harsh treatment.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Yeah they are definitely different, I thought I would see the same victim blaming rhetoric here.
I guess that's a good thing though, no one wants to think they can get killed when they call the cops for help.
I m sure she didn't think she would get killed just for walking up to them. Maybe she didn't imagine it would be an issue.
Well, being from Australia, it's possible she wasn't familiar with our current police policy of 'shoot first, lie later'.

But seriously, I doubt many people would think they'd be at risk in calling the cops.

After this, though, we'll all stay inside, I'm' betting.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:55 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,619 times
The spins in here are comical.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, being from Australia, it's possible she wasn't familiar with our current police policy of 'shoot first, lie later'.

But seriously, I doubt many people would think they'd be at risk in calling the cops.

After this, though, we'll all stay inside, I'm' betting.
That's the problem. People need to wake up.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
The people protesting without the decency to let the Mayor speak and have a decent conversation only helped to get sympathy for the Mayor and not much sympathy for the ridiculous protesters.

Even if the protesters had a valid point, they diminished that point by their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies