Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 12:11 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times

Advertisements

Calling the cops for assistance has always been a dicey decision. In many cases the caller was shot by the police. Many who are spinning their wheels on the thread, have supported the cops in those killings. Only difference now is that a "fragile & non-violent" white woman is the victim.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
OK, I give up. Does Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin, or a female Australian tourist around 40 look more threatening. Would you cross the street to avoid a group of Australian female tourists?

Also why did Mohamed Noor fire across another officer?

And as for the Somalian angle I have read two books, both by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. One is Infidel, the other Nomad. Both make instructive reading as to how much violence is ingrained in Somalian society. School days were often followed by "fighting practice." A brief excerpt from Nomad.

When Somali children reached the West, specifically the Netherlands:

Are you saying this author is lying about Somali culture?
I ask you again are you advocating or are of the opinion that men in general are OK to be shoot by police, since they would almost always appear more threatening than a woman.

Mohamed Noor fired his gun, because just like the other cops before him who gunned down unarmed civilians he was of those officers who shoot first and ask questions later.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:46 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I ask you again are you advocating or are of the opinion that men in general are OK to be shoot by police, since they would almost always appear more threatening than a woman.

Mohamed Noor fired his gun, because just like the other cops before him who gunned down unarmed civilians he was of those officers who shoot first and ask questions later.
Why not answer my question?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Why not answer my question?
I would neither cross the street for a bunch of Australian women nor for a bunch of men.
Do men in general however would be considered to look more threatening, I'm sure the majority would say yes.

So again, does this make cops shooting unarmed men more acceptable and ok to shift blame on the victim and absolve cops of wrongdoing?
Does this also automatically put blame on the cops if an unarmed women gets shoot. Cops are not allowed to be startled by women? We are then straight to assume something else must have been at play?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm, no I disagree. While I do see a tactically unsound deployment of a lethal weapon, and a complete mental dump I don't see Jihad here. Aside from the fact that though Somalia may be predominantly Muslim, their motives for acting as they do there are not religious. They are completely material. In past posts I have alluded that his actions may have been I stictive to his background, but that doesn't include religious motives. More like shoot first and ask no questions. Power speaks through the barrel of a gun.

Culturally, that is how he spent his formative years. But Somalia is hardly a jihad is culture. It's tribal and built on manpower and firepower as to who eats and who doesnt. Not a good fit with American LE even in the current trend of application of lethal force as a go to. Jihad has nothing to do with it, and even all I've written here is nothing but pure speculation. Hardly provable in court minus an unabashed public statement by Noor.
I quoted book excerpts. It happens that the author largely agrees with the view that the origins of Somali violence are tribal or clan more than religion. Do you think that tribal, clan or religious training had some role in the officer's seemingly irrational decision to use violence?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:01 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
I quoted book excerpts. It happens that the author largely agrees with the view that the origins of Somali violence are tribal or clan more than religion. Do you think that tribal, clan or religious training had some role in the officer's seemingly irrational decision to use violence?
I think it's possible. I thought I said as much. In such a case of seemingly unthinking use of lethal force I'm discounting nothing.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:37 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Do you think that tribal, clan or religious training had some role in the officer's seemingly irrational decision to use violence?
Absolutely not. He was trained by cops, possibly with the shoot first mentality, he had his gun out ready to shoot, he shot carelessly, thats the only thing that made him do it. Trying to excuse police brutality as muslim or jihad is lazy.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
OK, I give up. Does Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin, or a female Australian tourist around 40 look more threatening. Would you cross the street to avoid a group of Australian female tourists?

Also why did Mohamed Noor fire across another officer?
Because hes been unsupervised for the last two years and did not receive maintenance training. Also, his stupid partner didnt tell him to keep his gun holstered. They were both negligent, and not very smart.

Maybe you didnt see the videos of cops that shot little women? Its careless policing.

Quote:
My older cousin used to take me to "fighting practice" after school when I was about five or six. I was encouraged to pick a fight with a classmate, who was encouraged to pick a fight with me. We said things like "You are low, accursed, shameful, dishonorable, kinteerley." Then, surrounded by cheering older relatives, we went at each other. We kicked, scratched, bit one another, wrestled until we were covered in bruises, our little dresses tom, our knees scraped from all the falling. You were defeated if you gave up first or if you cried or ran away. In all three cases you would undergo a severe verbal and physical beating from your fighting coach."
Sorry to break this to you, but they do this in this country as well. Its called bullying and its very big amongst kids.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Of all the bad cops we've seen throughout the years, why question the background of this one cop as though it's meaningful? There are plenty of Muslim cops, yet I don't recall previous incidents involving them.

Just like I don't think the cop problem is strictly a racial problem, although black males are stopped more, arrested in higher numbers and get harsher sentencing, I don't see this as a cultural problem.

If it IS a cultural problem - it's a problem with the American culture, where we've enacted laws to protect cops.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Of all the bad cops we've seen throughout the years, why question the background of this one cop as though it's meaningful? There are plenty of Muslim cops, yet I don't recall previous incidents involving them.
Not to mention true Muslims that follow the religion advocate for peace, and would more likely try to defuse/de-escalate the situation, thats where their religion would affect the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies