Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

You mean like Solyndra, and all the "green" companies that got 100's of millions in government grants under Obama, then went bankrupt?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Having money and property can go a long way in changing how people think. I really believe that more young working class folks should consider collective bargaining organizations, whether joining, or starting their own. It's a great "market" tool for people starting out in lower classes.

A $15 minimum wage can be had without passing legislation this way, but still requires a lot of time and work.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
And who determines your earnings? Is it pure skill? Negotiation tactics? Sucking up to the system? Gaining the free market? BSing your resume?

What is it that makes you think your earnings is your due right and what makes you think that x amount is rightfully 100% yours?
The system is set up to create inequalities. And this inequality...sometimes doesn't have any meat behind it. Ever seen a lazy coworker? Yeah you think he's rightfully "earning" his money?
Earnings (salary/income) are a function of what the market will bear for a given occupation plus how hard and smart you're willing to work. Same as it ever was.

You can work on fairness in your personal relationships, etc. or individual workplace but if you think any human will ever create "a fair" overall employment environment, it's impossible. There are far too many variables and those are always changing. Plus what the heck is the definition of fair in this regard?

You are not judge or God over another persons life, property or earnings. And you wouldn't want someone to have that power over yours.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
I see the basic assumption is that skepticism towards capitalism indicates a problem that must be fixed. Did we just rule out the idea that millennials have the capacity to observe the effects of capitalism and to think for themselves?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
aren't there multiple threads on here with AI and that addresses self preservation of a robot or software?

Self preservation on my part wasn't due to emotion. If this-do that. Problem solved. Feelings are irrelevant.
If I felt bad for the guy I bought my Harley from would I have paid more for it? Probably. He had something I wanted. He had failing health. I put cash down and said there's my offer. Take it or leave it. Sad stories, everyone's got em, I'm not compelled by them.
Fact of the matter is. He needed to get rid of it. I didn't need it at all. I could have bought another one elsewhere for more money.

Same thing with the house I bought when I lived in NY elderly couple, who were business owners. Told them you hold the mortgage why go to a bank? I'll give you 15k cash right now. Sell me the house for 50k. I dont care what you think it's worth. It needs work from your neglect. Never mind updates. Why should I get a loan from a bank, they'll make money off the interest. How about you be the bank. You make money off the interest. Bank won't give a loan for this dump anyways... you know it as well as I do the bank gets a copy of the inspection report...
You hold the note. I pay the taxes and pay you for 15 years. 3 missed payments you give me 2 weeks to pack my stuff and go with a sheriff present if you want. Drew that up as a contract had it notarized viola.
Only I paid double/triple the agreed mortgage payment screwed them out of interest big time.

Think I cared? Nope. They agreed to it. I had many points in my corner... Leaky roof with mold in the attic, the glass fuse panel and rope insulated wire. No bank would write a loan for that! Fire hazard not being up to code, if I defaulted without fixing it they'd be stuck with it and probably have to bulldoze it. I fixed it all, updated it, and paid it off in 5 years... emotion did not prevail there either. Logic, reason, and fact did.
I'm going to get a little out there but hear me out.

Everything we do is inherently selfish, and all of our decision making is inherently influenced by emotion.

Even when you went out of your way to help the guy that screwed you over you did it because you thought it was the best course of action given the circumstances and your emotion. If it wasn't, then you wouldn't have done it.

You had a perceived negative experience from it, and decided it's something you're not going to risk again. When people refer to what to doing something "logical" it's because they believe it is the best course of action based of their emotions, past experiences, and preferred outcome.

Does buying property and selling it for a profit make you feel bad? Of course not. Does making good financials decisions like saving and investing make you want to commit suicide? Doubtful.

Even when somebody does something as extreme as sacrificing their well being, or life, they're doing it because they believe it's the best course of action, and none of this is grounded in logic.

True logic I would argue, is something like numbers, 1+1=2. It just is, regardless of how we feel about it.

But our perception that 2 is better than 1, or 1 is better than 2, is not logical.

As far as millennials are factored into all of this? The United States has gone through arguably worse time periods. Some of us will be fine, others won't, same as any other generation. I'd argue that you'll do just fine, but that's just a feeling I have about you.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You mean like Solyndra, and all the "green" companies that got 100's of millions in government grants under Obama, then went bankrupt?
The vast majority of companies were actually successful, in fact a better average then investors.

But hey, who cares about reality, you will cherry pick something, and act like thats representative. Got it.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Earnings (salary/income) are a function of what the market will bear for a given occupation plus how hard and smart you're willing to work. Same as it ever was.

You can work on fairness in your personal relationships, etc. or individual workplace but if you think any human will ever create "a fair" overall employment environment, it's impossible. There are far too many variables and those are always changing. Plus what the heck is the definition of fair in this regard?

You are not judge or God over another persons life, property or earnings. And you wouldn't want someone to have that power over yours.
Earnings is never about how hard and smart you're willing to work. Earnings is always what the market will bear. It just happens that, the harder something gets, the rarer the supply... hence higher earnings. So no, it's not a function of market + how hard/smart you work. It's all what the free market will pay and this is a function of labor supply + demand. Simple as that.

Secondly, I may not be the judge over someone else's life, property, or earnings. But what makes you think those concepts even have to exist? Why does something have to be "yours"? If everyone was given a car by the government that didn't belong to anyone... but everyone always had one and they're all the same. Would you even care about property rights?

Again, this whole concept of power, rights, etc... is all just a concept we humans created to run our society through a government. Nothing is set in stone, we can change it. You're just refusing to change it because it contradicts the entire fundamental workings of society everyone is used to. You're just living your life with set rules that we place upon ourselves and can't even fathom changing anything beyond it. Once you can see beyond these stupid concepts, you'll realize how stupid we humans are. We create a system where some people die, suffer, etc.. all for the sole purpose of acquiring goods and services to survive. Stupid if you ask me. On top of that, the way we justify this system, is exactly what you and the OP are whining about.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Earnings is never about how hard and smart you're willing to work. Earnings is always what the market will bear. It just happens that, the harder something gets, the rarer the supply... hence higher earnings. So no, it's not a function of market + how hard/smart you work. It's all what the free market will pay and this is a function of labor supply + demand. Simple as that.

Secondly, I may not be the judge over someone else's life, property, or earnings. But what makes you think those concepts even have to exist? Why does something have to be "yours"? If everyone was given a car by the government that didn't belong to anyone... but everyone always had one and they're all the same. Would you even care about property rights?

Again, this whole concept of power, rights, etc... is all just a concept we humans created to run our society through a government. Nothing is set in stone, we can change it. You're just refusing to change it because it contradicts the entire fundamental workings of society everyone is used to. You're just living your life with set rules that we place upon ourselves and can't even fathom changing anything beyond it.
Did you just smoke a joint? Cuz you are really up in the clouds there, friend. That can be fun, I know, but only if I am in the clouds too. Otherwise, these convo's end up being mis-matched.

Sadly, I am sober right now. But, let me leave you with this: "Earnings is never about how hard and smart you're willing to work." --- oh boy, make that statement to anyone who works on commission, has an annual bonus as a large part of their compensation or owns their own business. Let me know what they say and please describe the look they had on their face. Thank you.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Did you just smoke a joint? Cuz you are really up in the clouds there, friend. That can be fun, I know, but only if I am in the clouds too. Otherwise, these convo's end up being mis-matched.

Sadly, I am sober right now. But, let me leave you with this: "Earnings is never about how hard and smart you're willing to work." --- oh boy, make that statement to anyone who works on commission, has an annual bonus as a large part of their compensation or owns their own business. Let me know what they say and please describe the look they had on their face. Thank you.
Try gaining a specialization in economics and specifically go look for a course in the area of Ethics & Economics. I'm not up in the clouds, it's just that you can't reach for the clouds to see what I'm trying to tell you. That's what that sweet "liberal" education does to you... makes you think about things in ways others can't or haven't thought about before. Also another reason why my salary level at my age is higher than 97% of my peers and 90% of the entire country.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
And who determines your earnings? Is it pure skill? Negotiation tactics? Sucking up to the system? Gaining the free market? BSing your resume?

What is it that makes you think your earnings is your due right and what makes you think that x amount is rightfully 100% yours?
The system is set up to create inequalities. And this inequality...sometimes doesn't have any meat behind it. Ever seen a lazy coworker? Yeah you think he's rightfully "earning" his money?
First define a lazy or inept Co worker. I've made fools of managers... I'm ruthless. I'm like a honey badger. I don't give a sh..

What makes my earnings my due right?
I'm proficient. I can not be persuaded or distracted. I invested years and 200k of earned money on tools for my first trade, which currently, I do part time since moving to florida (no rust and corrosion to compete with) for I produce 50 hours or more in 3 10 hour days vs 50 hours plus for 5 or 6 10 hour days in NY. Which helped me start up a business in another trade I'm skilled in.

There's no BS on any of my resumes.

I let my skills do the talking to the boss. When they huff and puff I remind them how badly they need me. My tool box has wheels. It took but 10 minutes to put it in this shop. Take me 5 to push it out. My negotiations are ruthless. It's nothing for me to call in and tell them yup. Not coming in today. And leave them hanging with the drama from a customer. That's a problem they created when they promised something I told them couldn't be done.

Again. Most went to business schools and trip over 100 dollar bills to pick up pennies. I have no patience for their nonsense and give it back 10 fold to them with a smile on my face as I do it. I've had managers beg me to stay with the promise of a raise. I've turned that offer down. Screw me once I'm gone. And I'm taking "your" customers with me. And I did. I'll cripple them where it counts and have done so.

Prime example of incompetence- Work in a shop. No air conditioning in the shop but suits and ties get AC... Writers get AC. Complain about production numbers. Mine are higher than others. But there's a problem. It's ridiculously hot and humid in the shop. By 10 am guys are slowing down to a crawl. Shop smells worse than a gym locker room.
Want to pick up production? Throw an air conditioning system on the roof for the shop, that way guys aren't fatigued in the shop. I promise with the increase in productivity, you will have that AC system paid for in full within a few months time. Noo don't listen to me... that's just common sense... plus it costs money.

Place 1 tech per Bay you screwed his production if he needs parts he can't work on another car/truck/Suv if he's only got 1. Your writers and dispatcher don't dish out the work to those who are qualified. Call me up on a Saturday begging me to come in and fix someone else's comeback? Nah. You eat it. After all, was your policy to not take diesels and heavy projects from Wednesday/Thursday to Friday because the end of the week should be easy. Me I get 3 bays that was the deal. I never stand idle. How about you stop focusing on quicklane and BS 19.99 works packages and get the other guys who are doing real work, more bays and oust half of your quick lane lube boobs? And parts could start stocking what I tell them to, that you won't allow them to, because it costs money and God forbid inventory sits for a couple days to a week oh the horror!
That way your writers aren't promising Friday at 5 when the part we need won't be here til Friday at 3pm and it would take 3+ hours to put it back together and road test...

I Make an azz out of the service manager and the general manager all the time.
I held a management position once. A true manager fills in when and where needed. Managers I've worked for can't bother to get their penny loafers dirty. They're lazy. And too busy blatting about the bottom line they keep raising. Yet ignore why they can't meet goals. Gotta trip over hundred dollars bills to pick up pennies.

As for coworkers. I'd go to bat for any of them. Except the uti kids. I graduated tech school at 70k and I'm certified I know it all. Yet hey man this things doing this. Or this is doing that. Glorified parts changer. I'll get it after they've butchered it. I'm not paid to baby sit. I usually chase them out.

Rarely have I worked with an apprentice kid. Only ones I did were the ones who asked questions and paid attention and applied themselves.

As for me. I'm the top paid guy for my skills. For the fact I have 0 come backs. For proficiency. For not only knowing how to repair but modify to the hilt. (Lifts, engine performance custom written tunes, custom injectors turbos camshafts you name it I can make a 1 ton diesel outrun a new Mustang and out live you.)
I don't work on em, I fix em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies