Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Because people who are pro-life believe that life begins at conception and that the unborn life has human rights that trump the right to choose to have an abortion. So, actually, people who believe in exceptions (or who are not "black and white") are being intellectually dishonest.

And, for the record, my post isn't advocating a particular view. I am just explaining why it is a black and white issue.
It's simple - Constitution for the United States - We the People

Quote:
(Preamble)
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
The right to live has been recognized by our courts since prior to the Constitution as a fundamental liberty. In establishing the Constitution of the U.S. not only is liberty offered to everyone in the U.S. but to posterity (generations of humans as yet unborn).

Thus the preamble should settle the question, but sadly it hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 AM

316 posts, read 214,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
As an person who was an unwanted and severely, systematically and sadistically abused child (mother was the abuser) I view termination of a pregnancy as a far better thing than a woman forced to have a child she does not want.

I think forced adoption would have to exist if we were to do away with legal termination; but unless every pro-lifer takes on an adopted child, an infant a mother does not want, their argument is invalid; if they truly cared about the fate of the child, they would never wish it a life with parents who did not want it.

Wanting to "save babies" is well and good; forcing the mother to bear the child she wishes not to have, but not offering to take said child from her at delivery, is a hard stance to defend in my opinion.
Im so sorry this happened to you, but wanted kids get abused daily. As this article points out "Unwanted doesn't equal abused". No matter your stance this statement stood out to me
Quote:
If women have compassion, then they must recognize that it is not within their moral power to determine whether another human being who poses no threat to them has the right to be on this planet. If my life isn’t a threat to yours, I have just as much a right to be here as you do.
But she also adds sometimes abortion is the more moral choice.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Republicans are so hypocritical. They are against abortion but they are against medicaid for women who cant afford these kids. You want to put them up for adoption when there are always hundreds of thousands of kids already waiting. We are not going to back alleys again for an abortion where many women died

Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't think it is black and white. My own abortion views are too conservative for most liberals but are too liberal for the pro-life crowd.

I think people who want to ban all abortions for any reasons all the way back to conception are simply wanting to force their religious beliefs on everyone. On the other side, I think there are some serious problems with abortion on demand once the fetus reaches a certain point in the pregnancy.
^^^^ This.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:15 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's hard to have a dialog when anti-abortionists draw a red-line at "life begins at conception" and then use 9 month abortions and harvesting late term "baby parts" as a boogie-man.

"If you go with what Hillary is saying, in the ninth month, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby,” - Trump

In reality, about 90% of all abortions occur in the first trimester, and less than 1% occur in the third trimester (& most of those for medical reasons).

Guys - odds are many women you know, and even respect, have had abortions - you just don't know it..
The bolded may have helped Trump win the election.

I absolutely despise Hillary, and I'm neither a Trump supporter, nor a Republican, nor a progressive, but I generally agree with Hillary re a woman's right to choose. I also think that men should have no say in the matter (and I'm a man)...and that giving men a say = patriarchal and sexist. Outlawing abortion in the U.S. would divide woman into two groups....those who can afford a trip to a still pro choice country and the procedure there, and those who can't.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
The "in case of rape or life of the mother" crowd always intrigues me. How would that work, in practice? Would a rape need to be reported to the police? Would there need to be a conviction? How would the life of the mother be determined?

Basically, it comes down to having to ask permission for a medical procedure. Would you want to have to appeal to someone if you were diagnosed with cancer and wanted it surgically removed from your body?

Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is an undeniable fact.........no one likes abortion, whether you are pro life or pro woman's right to choose. However, no matter how we legislate it or try to control it, the other undeniable fact is that there are always going to be women who, for one reason or another, seek to terminate a pregnancy early.

That being the case, we need to make it so that we do not criminalize or penalize women who have to make that choice, and we need to allow clinics to provide a safe, secure environment for that procedure to occur.

I grew up in the 50's and beyond, when abortions were done in back alleys under dangerous, illegal circumstances. Many women died or suffered badly from those abortions, and were made to feel like criminals for making that choice. THERE ARE GOING TO BE WOMEN WHO TERMINATE PREGNANCIES AS LONG AS THE HUMAN RACE IS ON THIS PLANET, that is simply a fact. Therefore, we should stay away from the very personal choice that these women make, and allow clinics to operate so that we do not return to those horrible times of the past.

No amount of pro life interference is going to stop women from making this decision, so the best we can do is provide better education and birth control information so that a lot of women never have to make this decision at all. Trump wants to kill planned parenthood, but they are a wonderful source of this much needed information and assistance, they do so much more than abortions, they help keep women from getting pregnant in the first place.
Excellent post, Don! And RME I completely agree, the hypocrisy is sickening. As you can see from my username (duh ) I'm a male as well and I don't think it's a man's place to tell women what they can/can't do with their bodies. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:25 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Much to the chagrin of Nancy Kennan (the creepy abortion rights spokesperson who gave a bizarre keynote during the 2012 Democratic National Convention talking about how wonderful it is to make abortions more convenient), abortions are actually down in the United States since their peak in the early 1980's:

Abortion Rate In U.S. Falls To Lowest Level Since Roe v. Wade : The Two-Way : NPR

I do think most politicians who bring up abortion as a political issue are trying to win votes by inciting a cultural war, rather than doing something morally just.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-23-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Im so sorry this happened to you, but wanted kids get abused daily. As this article points out "Unwanted doesn't equal abused". No matter your stance this statement stood out to me
But she also adds sometimes abortion is the more moral choice.
Except an unwanted kid does impose on the mother that doesn't want it if the mother is poor, and therefore won't have the $ to provide for both the child and herself.....

Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM

316 posts, read 214,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The "in case of rape or life of the mother" crowd always intrigues me. How would that work, in practice? Would a rape need to be reported to the police? Would there need to be a conviction? How would the life of the mother be determined?

Basically, it comes down to having to ask permission for a medical procedure. Would you want to have to appeal to someone if you were diagnosed with cancer and wanted it surgically removed from your body?
That is a faulty comparison.The same could be said of underage kids who want to stop cancer treatments. Is it their right?

I don't get what's so hard to understand that no on asked to be raped. What proof do you need? All victims should be believed.

The stories I see on birthing rape babies are positive and that's fine, but to hold it up as ALL should follow your lead is absurd. Here lately a rape baby was called' beauty from the ashes" and "the will of God' has been used many times.How is it the "will of any God"? In some states, the rapists can fight for custody. Often wanted pregnancies can turn into high risk anytime during gestation.
If you're pro-life both mother and child should matter,but the mom must come first.IMO i'm still pro-life even if means they decide to abort the baby conceived from rape . And sure heck understand if they want to save their own life I would do the same.Even Margaret Sanger as pro life as she was said abortions must happen sometimes. (Yes Sanger was pro-life She advocated birth control not abortion She founded American Birth COntrol League Many quotes get misconstrued and some don't even exist.)) For every positive story about babies conceived by rape they are likely three or four nightmare."
Pregnant Through Rape, Women Are Forced To Share Child Custody With Their Attackers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies