Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,466,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'm an economic facist. I don't have feelings when discussing politics.

The only "fact" is annecdotal. You're the only anti-Trumper on this thread. The ramifications of tax changes flies over the head of most Anti-Trumpers (who remain ignorantly gleeful that our national debt went from 9 Trillion to 19 Trillion under Obama).

Besides, either they were just dropped off at the mall, or they're too busy typing russia, russia, russia to tackle an economic question/problem such as: What is better...the Standard Deduction or itemizing State Income Tax?

again you make many big claims without one iota of fact lumped in. perfect Trumpster...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 AM

34,131 posts, read 17,188,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
you again miss the point. Politically this would be a loss on the national level for the GOP, as they would lose a good number of house seats over this. That's the point. Other than punishing "coastal elitists"
Morally, it is the right thing to do. That's what I care about.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'm an economic facist. I don't have feelings when discussing politics.

The only "fact" is annecdotal. You're the only anti-Trumper on this thread. The ramifications of tax changes flies over the head of most Anti-Trumpers (who remain ignorantly gleeful that our national debt went from 9 Trillion to 19 Trillion under Obama).

Besides, either they were just dropped off at the mall, or they're too busy typing russia, russia, russia to tackle an economic question/problem such as: What is better...the Standard Deduction or itemizing State Income Tax?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Morally, it is the right thing to do. That's what I care about.
ah, moral high ground... that's a new one.

good luck losing most if not all GOP House seats in blue states then!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM

1,400 posts, read 867,038 times
Quote:
you again miss the point. Politically this would be a loss on the national level for the GOP, as they would lose a good number of house seats over this. That's the point. Other than punishing "coastal elitists"
That is just pure speculation. Besides, if you believe that is truly the case, then democrats should be all for it.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,794,100 times
Comments to your comments in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
By rate or by dollars? By dollars... Rich people tend to swing GOP.

I would agree 60/40.

Im betting simplifying will benefit the high rich the most. (Vs the $100K to 300K crowd)

Again, I would agree. Especially if "flat tax" enters the conversation.

Dumb statement. On the coasts, cost makes renters out of people who could live very comfortably on similar income in "flyover country"

Not a dumb statement. People on the coasts elected Obama. Many people on the coasts are unconcerned on economic issues. (thus the National Debt going from 9 Trillion to 19 Trillion)

& the fact that they don't (or haven't ever) itemized, make many of them unable to understand this conversation. & if they have never itemized, their opinions are worthless.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
That is just pure speculation. Besides, if you believe that is truly the case, then democrats should be all for it.
sure, it's speculation; much like I speculated the sun will come up tmw. Enjoy any election where the opponent can claim incumbent raised your taxes by 5K with actual facts behind it. Let me know how that goes.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 AM

[quote=Metsfan53;48945378]ah, moral high ground... that's a new one.

good luck losing most if not all GOP House seats in blue states then![/QUOTE

Never happen. 95% House wins with ease, Gerry mandering created mainly double digit wins both parties

MAGA

Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
If this passes you won't be able to itemize/deduct your REAL ESTATE TAXES for your home.

The reason it's higher in NY, NJ, CA is because their real estate values are higher than other areas so they are taxed higher.

I doubt such a bill passes because it impacts wealthy people that 1) have expensive homes (thus high real estate taxes) and 2) because wealthy people earn more income thus pay higher state income taxes (in states with an income tax).

The GOP won't disallow the wealthy from getting their tax breaks.

Here's a quote from the article in the OP. This is why the GOP won't pass this:

"...heavily weighted to families with high incomes. Seventy-five percent of the benefits went to families making more than $100,000."

Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 AM

1,400 posts, read 867,038 times
Quote:
sure, it's speculation; much like I speculated the sun will come up tmw. Enjoy any election where the opponent can claim incumbent raised your taxes by 5K with actual facts behind it. Let me know how that goes.
Just like all the fake news experts predicted a Clinton victory? Like I said, if this proposal guarantees a democratic controlled House, then you should be all for it. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies