Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,787,650 times

Advertisements

So American students keep getting dumber and dumber...

------------
The chancellor of the California Community Colleges system says intermediate algebra should no longer be required to earn an associate degree — unless students are in the fields of science, technology, engineering or math.

“College-level algebra is probably the greatest barrier for students — particularly first-generation students, students of color — obtaining a credential,” he said. “If we know we're disadvantaging large swaths of students who we need in the workforce, we have to question why. And is algebra really the only means we have to determine whether a student is going to be successful in their life?

Drop algebra requirement for non-STEM majors, California community colleges chief says - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,715,500 times
I was thinking about this today while driving to work. How I really hated going to community college because of math classes for a major that had nothing to do with it. I wondered how much happier I'd be if I didn't have to take them and then how that would make me feel better about my day and other classes.

I think it's sad if that is the reason but if it's not related to your major that might be smart.

I think at a certain age you should be able to look at the student populate and just know certain kids are never going to be in certain careers. And you might lose a few late bloomers in the process but overall I think you could prepare students for more important classes than Algebra.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,166,946 times
Algebra forces the brain to exercise neuropathways, sometimes forging new ones. It literally makes you smarter.

Maybe it shouldn't be required to obtain a credential at a community college, but it does have value.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I was thinking about this today while driving to work. How I really hated going to community college because of math classes for a major that had nothing to do with it. I wondered how much happier I'd be if I didn't have to take them and then how that would make me feel better about my day and other classes.

I think it's sad if that is the reason but if it's not related to your major that might be smart.

I think at a certain age you should be able to look at the student populate and just know certain kids are never going to be in certain careers. And you might lose a few late bloomers in the process but overall I think you could prepare students for more important classes than Algebra.
Personally I think math requirement is like a sieve to filter out those who are really too weak. Employers want to have that kind of sieves for degree earners.

So it is not about what you want, but about what you can.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Algebra forces the brain to exercise neuropathways, sometimes forging new ones. It literally makes you smarter.

Maybe it shouldn't be required to obtain a credential at a community college, but it does have value.
The so-called intermediate algebra is really just 13 year-old algebra in many countries. (Yes I was a math tutor in college.)
They have that in college only because many students did not learn anything in high school.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Personally I think math requirement is like a sieve to filter out those who are really too weak. Employers want to have that kind of sieves for degree earners.

So it is not about what you want, but about what you can.
I agree but I also look at it as a issue where you put the weaker people at a huge disadvantage to be onto something else.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,426,310 times
While we're at it let's take a closer look at that pesky spelling and punctuation. Also reading is vastly overrated.
And don't even get me started on sentence structure.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Think about how computers have changed hand writing.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I agree but I also look at it as a issue where you put the weaker people at a huge disadvantage to be onto something else.
We can have other degrees for them, just not a college degree.
For example, there can be vocational schools.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,637,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So American students keep getting dumber and dumber...

------------
The chancellor of the California Community Colleges system says intermediate algebra should no longer be required to earn an associate degree — unless students are in the fields of science, technology, engineering or math.

“College-level algebra is probably the greatest barrier for students — particularly first-generation students, students of color — obtaining a credential,” he said. “If we know we're disadvantaging large swaths of students who we need in the workforce, we have to question why. And is algebra really the only means we have to determine whether a student is going to be successful in their life?

Drop algebra requirement for non-STEM majors, California community colleges chief says - LA Times
This is not actually helpful to people of color or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies