Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Predictions for tonight?
Those stats complied did not have a category of those who stood alone with their hands over the hearts, or at least did not engage in any type of protest.

Another thing I found disturbing is the feckless white players who apparently felt compelled to act like eunuchs and went along to get along. I am all for supporting my teammates on issues that I believe in, but I will not put their emotional and ignorant stance (especially over a false narrative) above God, family, country, etc.

Then to hear some of the players (black and white) did the right thing by showing respect for our flag and anthem, but then turned around and apologized for not being supportive of their teammates is
If anything, my teammates who acted the fool would owe me, the fans and the country an apology for their despicable actions, not the other way around!

`

Old 09-28-2017, 12:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yeah, before the 60's they just pimped smoking for the tobacco companies.

There were many who interjected politics into their acts or movie's. Charlie Chaplin "The Dictator". Woody Guthrie was nothing but political.

Three Stooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnQ9gc_6-s

It's really a very long list.
So out of this plot, where does it show that they were voicing their political opinions?
Quote:
The Stooges are janitors-turned-delegates after being recruited to support bad news political candidate Hammond Egger. Egger's corrupt campaign manager Bill Wick (Kenneth MacDonald) and his assistant Jim Digger (Ben Welden) are desperate after the original three delegates departed the campaign after realizing Egger was rotten. Upon finding the bumbling Stooges, who nearly destroy Digger's toupee after vacuuming it from his head, Wick is enthralled. He hires the Stooges outright, and lays out their responsibilities as delegates. They gladly accept and start caucusing.

It does not take long for the Stooges to realize that Egger is a crook, and throw their votes to opposing candidate Abel Lamb Stewer. When Wick finds out that his new boys have double-crossed him, he comes looking for revenge, with the trio defeating Wick and Digger in a wild fight with the boys winning by capsizing them in the bathtub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sometimes, those in the public limelight need to speak up. Their voices go further than the average person.

Personally, I rarely watch movies made before the 1960s.

And look up Paul Robeson. He is an entertainer who got involved with politics long before the 60s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...f_Paul_Robeson
While I can agree to an extent, there is a difference between using what is to entertain us as your "soapbox" like some the NFL players have done. Doing something on their own time...go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Maybe you'll enjoy this black-and-white then...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...harlottesville
You do realize that the war department during WWII used "shorts" to update americans on what was going on and to help support the war effort right? "Don't be a sucker" was one of those shorts. Once again...it was not in an actual hour+ long film. This is something my grandma taught me 30 years ago which is why I also have the appreciation for older movies too. Until the day she died, you could ask her about this and it was better than looking into a history book.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:09 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Those stats complied did not have a category of those who stood alone with their hands over the hearts, or at least did not engage in any type of protest.

Another thing I found disturbing is the feckless white players who apparently felt compelled to act like eunuchs and went along to get along. I am all for supporting my teammates on issues that I believe in, but I will not put their emotional and ignorant stance (especially over a false narrative) above God, family, country, etc.

Then to hear some of the players (black and white) did the right thing by showing respect for our flag and anthem, but then turned around and apologized for not being supportive of their teammates is
If anything, my teammates who acted the fool would owe me, the fans and the country an apology for their despicable actions, not the other way around!

`
Clearly, you don't have a firm grasp on how teams work.

When Trump started his divisive BS with football players, I knew in an instant that Tom Brady would side with his team. Brady may have abandoned the woman pregnant with his son to take up with someone else, but he'll stay loyal to the team that has his back. You can take that one to the bank.

Teams that don't unite against a common enemy suffer the consequences.

Who was it that said that if we didn't all hang together, we'd all hang separately?

Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Nope. The Collective Bargaining Agreement set between the players and the owners is the Bible. Owners can not make up rules as they go along without both parties in agreement and the CBA amended. I must of posted this 100 times on CD.com and people still don't get it. The relationship between the owners and the players operate as a UNION.
Can an owner cut a player for poor performance?

Yes, and there you go.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Hardly surprising.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:23 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Clearly they were looking to provoke with the placement of the Lynch jersey in front of Krapernic's.

But no big deal the apologists will cover for the bar.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bar-homem...173423896.html

Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First my condolences for being a Jets fan and all the dry years without a championship.

Thus I could not vote in your poll, because of the aforementioned.
It's not my poll...I don't care if you voted or not. This sticky has about a million merged threads at this point, I'm surprised there aren't more polls.

Thank you for your condolences.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This^. It's not a selective way to protest - it doesn't single out Trump, the police, etc. It's like a slap in the face to all Americans. That's why it upsets so many people - it insults their patriotism. Most of us are well aware that the country has it's share of problems and history. That doesn't mean we don't love our country just because it is flawed. The flag and the Anthem mean something to me. And I'm no Trumper.
You do not speak for all American's.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Odd how his performance tanked as he got involved with the BLM movement.
His QBR was middle of the pack.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...mponents/2016/

Old 09-28-2017, 01:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Hardly surprising.
https://twitter.com/jga41agher/statu...78133374173184

Objected to police brutality.

Still did their jobs.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-28-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies