Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
I never said it is 'illegal'. I said you 'cannot' and it is not parsing the point. There are many things that are legal but for certain reasons you should not or situationally -- cannot -- do them.
You can do it.

Quote:
I do not need you to address my point. This is a public forum and in this situation, the readers are more important than the participants. It is their minds that are the targets of my arguments. Your dodging says more about you than about me.
I'm not the one misrepresenting the facts. The first amendment gives the people the right to yell fire in a theater.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:25 PM

1,875 posts, read 650,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You bought tickets to watch a football game, not to watch football players stand at attention.
Then neither have I paid to see anyone's political expressions.

Quote:
If you want to stand and sing along to the National Anthem, that is your choice.
Likewise, if you do not want to attend the ritual, you do not have to be on the field. That is your choice.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:32 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
You bought tickets to watch a football game, not to watch football players stand at attention. You are still getting what you paid for. And no, you don't own the stadium just because you bought a ticket. If you want to stand and sing along to the National Anthem, that is your choice. Just realize that what you choose to do is not required of others.
Well said, and so simple to understand. You would think more people would.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can do it.

I'm not the one misrepresenting the facts. The first amendment gives the people the right to yell fire in a theater.
There are consequences to everything we do, which includes what we say.

So while there are no legal consequences to 'yell fire in a theater', the non-legal consequences restrains that right. Basic human decency is one such restraint. YOU can argue in the abstract that is is our right to 'yell fire in a theater', but are YOU willing to demonstrate that right ? Are you a sadist who enjoys the chaos of the situation and the misery of those who are injured in their frightened escape of a false alarm ? If the answer is 'No', then effectively, you cannot yell fire in a theater.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Then neither have I paid to see anyone's political expressions.
Then don't look at the players. If you think the National Anthem is so important, shouldn't you be standing at attention, staring at the flag? It's a song that last less than 2 minutes, surely you can keep your attention on the flag for such a short time.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
There are consequences to everything we do, which includes what we say.

So while there are no legal consequences to 'yell fire in a theater', the non-legal consequences restrains that right. Basic human decency is one such restraint. YOU can argue in the abstract that is is our right to 'yell fire in a theater', but are YOU willing to demonstrate that right ? Are you a sadist who enjoys the chaos of the situation and the misery of those who are injured in their frightened escape of a false alarm ? If the answer is 'No', then effectively, you cannot yell fire in a theater.
It would have been easier for you to have simply admitted you were wrong.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Then don't look at the players. If you think the National Anthem is so important, shouldn't you be standing at attention, staring at the flag? It's a song that last less than 2 minutes, surely you can keep your attention on the flag for such a short time.
This is absurd.

The point of a PUBLIC protest is to attract attention to self. Making a 'Letter To The Editor' with your name on the letter is another way. Using your social eminence, like celebrities often do, to express your opinions is another way. All in all, it is about attracting attention to you.

Your argument is contradictory: Am making a pubic protest but I do not want you to look at me.

That make no sense.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It would have been easier for you to have simply admitted you were wrong.
If I meant to say it was illegal, I would have used the word 'illegal'.

You cannot refute the argument that it is absolutely reasonable to ask Kaepernick to simply step a few yds outside the stadium to make his protest so you have to resort to this distraction.

Am going to ask again: Who is not allowing you to point out and protest the 'dark side' of America ?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
If I meant to say it was illegal, I would have used the word 'illegal'.

You cannot refute the argument that it is absolutely reasonable to ask Kaepernick to simply step a few yds outside the stadium to make his protest so you have to resort to this distraction.

Am going to ask again: Who is not allowing you to point out and protest the 'dark side' of America ?
Millions are demanding that they stop. No, that does not mean they have to nor will they.

It would be so much easier to simply listen.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Millions are demanding that they stop.
This is dishonest on your part. So I will clarify for the readers: MILLIONS ARE DEMANDING THAT THE PLAYERS/PROTESTERS STOP DOING IT INSIDE THE STADIUM.

Quote:
No, that does not mean they have to nor will they.
Money talks and for these professional capitalists -- they will stop.

The only professional NFL game I attended was the 1986 exhibition game in Wembley Stadium, UK, with the Bears and Cowboys. I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford at that time.

The only somewhat 'political' speech we saw was someone, presumably an American, who had a sign that read 'Mike Ditka For President'.

I heard of today's average cost per game...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/most...to-attend.html

No, if I paid that much for me and my family to a game, political expressions would not be the last thing I want to see, but would be a thing I do not want to see AT ALL.

Money talks.

Quote:
It would be so much easier to simply listen.
We will -- outside the stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone

No one is putting these players/protesters inside remote 'free speech zones'.

In reality, the stadium is a unique zone catering to unique audiences with unique tastes. All we are asking is to keep your political speech to yourself while inside this small area of America for a couple of hrs. Then once you are outside this small zone and into the larger America, speak and we will listen.

Explain why is this unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies