Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Homicide rates are what...
you already posted this, you're repeating yourself. Fergusson was a rotten police dept, it got shut down for a reason

Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Are we still talking about the NFL here?

Ratings continue to drop..here's a story from CNBC -

"The owners of the NFL are reportedly considering a rule change that would make it mandatory for players to stand during the national anthem.

A league spokesman said that the owners would discuss the potential change during a meeting next week, Dow Jones reported."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/nfl-...em-report.html
The NFL guidelines do state that pretty much already. I believe it is something like, players will stand for the anthem with their hands or helmets over their hearts. It is not mandatory but is part of what is expected of them. Where this all ends, who knows?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:12 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are many cases where cops are in questionable shootings or deaths where charges are being brought up to a grand jury to decide and largely the cops are found to have no fault. And I'm not talking cases of waving a gun at police but rather say a Freddie Grey case.
Cleveland claimed this happened in the Tamir Rice case. The prosecutor lied as it was never actually presented to the grand jury to decide.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ote-on-charges

At least the people of Cleveland were able to take care of the prosecutor.

https://thinkprogress.org/cleveland-...-b8872f28c42c/

Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:

"The owners of the NFL are reportedly considering a rule change that would make it mandatory for players to stand during the national anthem.

A league spokesman said that the owners would discuss the potential change during a meeting next week, Dow Jones reported."

Damn - things must be getting really bad from their perspective. Perhaps they see taking on patriotism as a losing battle.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Perhaps they see taking on patriotism as a losing battle.
Mixing any politics with sports is a losing battle.

The NFL should know better

They could have nipped this in the bud by suspending Kaepernick last year but they tried to play both sides and now they lose big

Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:

If this actually happened, could someone have a case against Trump interference? Legally, this would be interesting.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:51 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,583,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I understand what you are saying, but this isn't something new. There are bad people in every walk of life and I don't think bad cops only affect minorities. They can be bad to everyone they don't like. Have you ever gotten a traffic ticket given to you by a AH2l3 cop? I sure have. I just take it, swear under my breath ad let it be. Too many do not respect authority; this is where a lot of the problem lies. I will also add, protests have a place, I have said this before, and when the Anthem is being sung or the pledge is taking place is not the time for protesting of any kind.
I'm sorry, are you really arguing that the presence of poorly trained and corrupt law enforcement officers is not a societal issue that ought to be addressed because "this isn't something new" and "there are bad people in every walk of life"? That is a heck of a compelling argument.

Imagine the next time you visit your doctor and he tells you that you shouldn't have a melanoma treated because "cancer is nothing new" and "cancer can be bad to everyone."

Old 10-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm sorry, are you really arguing that the presence of poorly trained and corrupt law enforcement officers is not a societal issue that ought to be addressed because "this isn't something new" and "there are bad people in every walk of life"? That is a heck of a compelling argument.
How is that any different than issues like clean drinking water and sidewalk maintenance -
Should we be booing the US anthem to get those addressed too?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If this actually happened, could someone have a case against Trump interference? Legally, this would be interesting.
You mean the NFL going after Trump was lost in revenue?

The answer is no.

I heard about 2 NFL teams considering making players stand for the anthem, I believe the Cowboys were one of the teams and I believe it is the owners considering this, not coaches. Of course nothing has been done so far and it is only 2 teams at the moment that seem to be even considering it. So right now it seems like the NFL is still going to head in the direction of kneeling, anti-Trump etc. Lots of news articles about NFL ratings being down, but it is still early in the season. Can these once fans turned anti fans hold out the whole season? What if their home team gets into the playoffs? What if they get bored watching re-runs of Seinfeld on Sundays? What if the lost fans are made up with new fans, so people who are more attracted to the NFL because of its kneeling stance? What if Beyonce sings and dances at another NFL game, will that make the younger people forget about the politics? etc

Don't play off the NFL as dead just yet, lots of smart people own those teams and own them to make money, not for fun. These are billionaires, NOT millionaires, totally different league.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
You mean the NFL going after Trump was lost in revenue?

The answer is no.
Eh?

No, I'm talking about a case being made of a causal link between Trump's comments and the NFL's actions. I'm talking about first amendment violations.

Put another way, would the NFL be reacting the way they are now absent Trump and his comments? I have very serious doubts that they would be.

Trump is the face of the government. I don't think the argument to be made for this kind of case is that far-fetched. And I would be interested to see how that would legally play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies