Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times

Advertisements

Congress is yet in another debate as to what a health care plan should be.
I have a great suggestion, the government needs to get out of the health care business for working people, who draw a wage.

The only ones who should have government assistance in health care should be those at, or below the poverty level, as long as they are in this country legally.
Health insurance should not be a government mandate.
If you want it, you buy it, if not, then you don't.

As for health insurance, it should be like buying auto insurance.
You buy what you need, and can afford, and have the option of obtaining it from any insurer in the country.
The government isn't paying for your auto insurance, so why should they be paying for your health insurance?
Is the government paying for your home owners insurance, or rental insurance?
I think not.

Working people should have health insurance,but it should not be up to the government to ensure you have it.
It should be a personal responsibility, just like auto, and home owners insurance.
As stated above, only people who are at, or below the poverty level should have government backed health insurance.
If those who work, are not making enough money to afford health insurance, then they need to do one of two things,ask the employer for more money, or seek other employment that offers a higher salary.
People need to stop relying on the government to solve our personal problems.

Using another example, did you ask the government to help you pick out a new vehicle, and help pay for it?
That is a personal responsibility, and government would have no business mandating what you purchase, and how you choose to pay for it.
The very same principal should apply to health insurance.

For way to long people have looked to the government to solve our personal issues, and that needs to stop.
We all need to be more accountable for our own lives,and let government get back to governing.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have a great suggestion, the government needs to get out of the health care business for working people, who draw a wage.

The only ones who should have government assistance in health care should be those at, or below the poverty level, as long as they are in this country legally.

You buy what you need, and can afford, and have the option of obtaining it from any insurer in the country.
The government isn't paying for your auto insurance, so why should they be paying for your health insurance?
I think not.

Working people should have health insurance,but it should not be up to the government to ensure you have it.
It should be a personal responsibility, just like auto, and home owners insurance.
As stated above, only people who are at, or below the poverty level should have government backed health insurance.
If those who work, are not making enough money to afford health insurance, then they need to do one of two things,ask the employer for more money, or seek other employment that offers a higher salary.

Using another example, did you ask the government to help you pick out a new vehicle, and help pay for it?
That is a personal responsibility, and government would have no business mandating what you purchase, and how you choose to pay for it.

For way to long people have looked to the government to solve our personal issues, and that needs to stop.
We all need to be more accountable for our own lives,and let government get back to governing.

Bob.
Must be nice to be in the league of people who can just get a higher paying job. Most cant.

Health insurance and health care are nothing like buying a car. Go to the hospital and try to get an "out the door price." Not impossible Im sure you could find an exception but for the vast majority it wont happen. Never had a "Surprise bill" when buying a car but got screwed royally by an E room doc who my wife never saw who apparently looked at a chart and thinks that is worth 1300 bucks.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Must be nice to be in the league of people who can just get a higher paying job. Most cant.

Health insurance and health care are nothing like buying a car. Go to the hospital and try to get an "out the door price." Not impossible Im sure you could find an exception but for the vast majority it wont happen. Never had a "Surprise bill" when buying a car but got screwed royally by an E room doc who my wife never saw who apparently looked at a chart and thinks that is worth 1300 bucks.
Did you pay the 1300 bucks ?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:

So because of your lack of personal responsibility in seeing that your insurance covers most of what you need,and you "can't" find a higher paying job, you think the government should be your "crutch" to keep you afloat?
WRONG.

Bob.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Did you pay the 1300 bucks ?
Of course. The local E room docs have full time lawyers and debt collectors. its quite a racket. I work with a guy whos GF (Perm live in mother of his kid) tried fighting. She just got done with the garnishment which killed his budget as it all went to simply keep a roof over everyones head. Surprise bill from an out of network radiology co that patrols the in network E room.

Hes a friend. I bought him a few lunches cause that is what friends are for. The 4 times Ive been to the E room since 2007 NO E room doc was in any network even tho the hospitals were so they can bill whatever they want.

Unless you are a lawyer, they will win.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So because of your lack of personal responsibility in seeing that your insurance covers most of what you need,and you "can't" find a higher paying job, you think the government should be your "crutch" to keep you afloat?
WRONG.

Bob.
Dude. I have health insurance. Nice try.
Typical Country club rich guy "Cause I got a good job" high horse preaching. Most people dont have the luxury of job hopping for better.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Dude. I have health insurance. Nice try.
Typical Country club rich guy "Cause I got a good job" high horse preaching. Most people dont have the luxury of job hopping for better.
If you are bitching about a $1300 bill, obviously your health insurance is not meeting your needs.
Perhaps you should consider who you are insured with.
As for "job hopping", one should be prepared for be in a position to better themselves, whenever the opportunity presents itself, instead of relying, and hoping the government will step in and make all wrongs right.
That isn't going to happen, and it shouldn't.
What ever it takes, be responsible for yourself.

Survival in all facets of life should be the priority of all of us.
To often many fail to realize, and accept responsibility for themselves.
They blame everyone else for their shortcomings, when in fact, they themselves are the problem.

To many rely on the government for their subsistence, and they should understand, the government can not, and should not, do it all.
If your health insurance is not meeting your needs, then it is up to you to see that it does.

Bob.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
WRONG.

Bob.
You do also realize that those lower paying jobs must be filled right? And people out there saving our lives like a low paid EMT shouldn't have to die to a treatable cancer because they can't afford it.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You do also realize that those lower paying jobs must be filled right? And people out there saving our lives like a low paid EMT shouldn't have to die to a treatable cancer because they can't afford it.
Just using your "EMT" as an example, education would be the key to not being a low paid EMT.
Ask yourself, is the government responsible for this person being a low paid EMT"?
I don't think so.
More often than not, you are what you are, and that has absolutely noting to do with the government, nor should it.
Either you make your way in this life, or you don't, and risk falling by the wayside.
Then, you scream, and demand the government step in and help you.

I am not a person of wealth, but I was smart enough to see when opportunity was there for me, and took advantage of it when ever I could.
I live comfortably, and the reason for that is, I did it on my own, and relied on no one to get to where I am today.
I didn't demand the government do anything for me.
If one is in a low paying job, they have only themselves to blame.

Bob.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

I think not.

Bob.
bob, i agree with you for the most part. i think we need to keep the federal government out of the health insurance field, except for the disabled, and the elderly. let the state handle the insurance for the poor and the working poor.

we dont need a huge monstrosity of a bad law to get health insurance to the people, we just need a truly common sense law.

Quote:

you have some good points here. i think hospitals and other health care providers should post their rate for various services. you should know going in what it will cost to stay in a hospital room, what x rays will cost, what MRIs will cost, etc. you should also be able to deal with the health care providers to get the costs down.

i also believe that doctors that bill you for ER visits, etc, should actually SEE the patient in person, not stand behind a window or look at a chart and then send a bill. i also believe that those billings need to be sent out in a timely manner, or the forfeit payment, and i also believe that everything should go on the same hospital bill so that you can see all at once what the final bill is for when you leave the hospital, and not have to worry about getting a bill from the radiologist, or the anesthesiologist three weeks after you have sent the bill to the insurance company.

and once again that all can be done with a simple bit of legislation.

as for the argument that health insurance is not like auto insurance, actually it is given the right set up. people should be able to pick and choose their coverage, yearly limits, deductibles, what is and is not covered, etc. we also need REAL competition in the health insurance industry, not what we have now.

get some real competition and watch rates fall. eliminate a lot of the unnecessary regulation on insurance sompanies and doctors offices, and hospitals, and again watch rates come down as health care then gets cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies