Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I never suggested removing it would raise or lower sea level.
Everyone with good reading comprehension knew what you meant. Don't worry. "Conservatives"(IRONY ALERT), love their money more than the environment and their children's future. Some things i'm afraid will never change.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:39 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Interesting.

Could be that water is more in ice, more in the atmosphere, and of course water does escape from the atmosphere into space (though I doubt that explains the recent 2 year dip).

The Earth has lost a quarter of its water | ScienceNordic
Good grief....There was no two year dip....Sea level increased by 6.4 mm. in the last two years...

Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
It may be impractical, but I'd be curious to know the impact of all the garbage and other crap.
Here is an interesting article on that, 1grin_go.

With Millions of Tons of Plastic in Oceans, More Scientists Studying Impact

Old 07-30-2017, 05:57 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Interesting.

Could be that water is more in ice, more in the atmosphere, and of course water does escape from the atmosphere into space (though I doubt that explains the recent 2 year dip).

The Earth has lost a quarter of its water | ScienceNordic
The polar ice is still melting on both ends of the Earth.

The northwest passage opened this year earlier than ever before, and it was solidly closed for over 200 years until the 21st century.

I honestly don't know anything past those facts, but if the sea level actually fell, all that water had to go somewhere, either as vapor, liquid, or as solid ice. And it's a hell of a lot of water we are talking about here.

1/3 of an inch of sea rise is enough to swamp all the dry land in Bangla Desh. It's enough to cover the Marshall Islands and most of Guam.

The Earth hasn't lost any of it's water. It's all still here someplace- it's just not in its usual places in its usual amounts.

All the water this planet has was created almost instantaneously when the seas formed, and Earth became a water world, dry no more forever. Earth never creates water, nor loses it- gravity takes care of that. Our planet's water constantly cycles in an endless closed loop between its 3 forms; vapor, liquid, and solid. But none is equally present all the time in one form only. Ice evaporates directly into vapor without ever becoming liquid first when its cold enough.

Because of this inequality, Earth has gone through long periods of ice covering the land, long periods of vapor turning into perpetual rain/snow storms, and long periods of lasting drought over most of the land with extremely lush small belts that lie under the jet stream paths where the vapor condenses into rain.

Historically, any of these drastic shifts happen very quickly after some prolonged unpredictable shiftiness. And then, once a prevailing change happens, it changes very slowly, with short dramatic intervals that keep Earth's climate stabilized over all the planet.
The geologic evidence is abundant on this. What we don't know is what causes the shifts to begin. The only thing we have learned is there are many causes, but how they combine and what happens after a combination is still something we are learning. It's never one thing, it is always a combination of factors. That's very well known, but there are lots of combinations we have not discovered yet.

If if the water left the sea, it's doing something we aren't prepared for, somewhere. That something is big, whatever it is, because it's ALWAYS big. Because Earth is a water planet.

We can't be prepared for them all until we know what they are. Until then, all we can do is be cautious and aware of what we know for a fact, and that's all we can do something about.

But I'm not at all sure the OP report is accurate or even true, so I asked the question. If it is true, someone should have an answer, at least in part.

And twice, I got nothing. That tends to make me think the quoted report was closer to BS than true.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-30-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Its a bumpy line trending upwards. It has minor ups and downs but still trends upwards
Nope. It *did* trend upward. Whether it's trending one way or another *now* is unknowable.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Mouse over the line on this chart....It will give you the date and amount of increase.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I never heard of this paper. Won't be reading a right wing rag. Anybody can say anything...

Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
My snow ball effect is already taking place as we type. We will see a rapid rise in the next 70 years at 7ft+. No stopping what is to come.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
The fact is that the earth hasn't warmed in about two decades and no study has ever proven a cause and effect relationship between atmospheric CO2 and global temperature increases.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The fact is that the earth hasn't warmed in about two decades and no study has ever proven a cause and effect relationship between atmospheric CO2 and global temperature increases.
My temps have come up big time in my local area in FL since i started keeping records in the late 70's. Our summer time pattern has also changed since the mid 80's as we are stuck in a reverse west windflow 85% of the summer. Our winters have warmed up so much since 1990 and the last 6 winters have been the warmest. So at least in my LOCAL area temps have come way up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies