Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

I just heard this and I think it is ridiculous and evidence that Government is forced to take care of stupid people.

Honolulu makes looking at phone while crossing street illegal - CNN.com

It seems that people in Honolulu lack the common sense to look both ways when crossing the street because they are too busy playing on their phones.

The mayor said this of the distracted pedestrian law.
"Sometimes I wish there were laws we did not have to pass, that perhaps common sense would prevail," the mayor said. "But sometimes we lack common sense."

I'd say there is a lack of common sense that is reaching epidemic levels in America.

People are losing their minds to their cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
People who are that addicted to their phones are nothing more than useful idiot drones. They are easily manipulated and clueless.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
"Sometimes I wish there were laws we did not have to pass, that perhaps common sense would prevail," the mayor said. "But sometimes we lack common sense."

I'd say there is a lack of common sense that is reaching epidemic levels in America.

People are losing their minds to their cell phones.
First thing i thought about was this lady.....

From a month or so ago. Yes, I know, very sad.......

.....but try not to smile.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
People who are that addicted to their phones are nothing more than useful idiot drones. They are easily manipulated and clueless.

It is just insane that they have to make a law to protect these people from themselves.

I wonder if it was the people who asked for the law or if it was the car insurance companies that were tired of paying to fix all the dented bumpers, hoods and smashed windshields from people who walked out into traffic and did a face plant on to their cars.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:15 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Hawaii should be part of Japan.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
First thing i thought about was this lady.....

From a month or so ago. Yes, I know, very sad.......

.....but try not to smile.
There was another video like that that showed many people falling etc.. and it is actually pretty funny.

I think it is crazy how anyone can get so involved with their phones that they put themselves in danger and worse others. Maybe it is the "others" that this new Hawaiian law seeks to protect.
They should build a ramp up the side of a volcano and let all these distracted people walk right in.

What would Darwin have to say about this?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
The problem is there's no way to collect on a person that walks in front of a car thus causing the accident. If two vehicles hit, then they both [usually] have insurance to cover the not-at-fault-party's damages. But a distracted pedestrian, only might have personal liability insurance, usually only if they've specifically taken out a personal umbrella policy. But that's pretty rare. While I don't agree with the law, I don't know what the solution is. "Make them pay" only works if they can actually pay. If they have a mortgaged house, a financed car, and a few thousand in the bank...there's just not a lot that can be taken in a lawsuit.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
We have thousands of silly laws, Clint Eastwood ran for mayor of Carmel became you couldn't eat ice cream cones in town because of the mess. Doesn't mean much. On a serious note Oahu has in the past record number of pedestrian deaths due to people jaywalked or other wise being distracted. A law can bring awareness to a problem doesn't mean it's a nanny state

Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
We have thousands of silly laws, Clint Eastwood ran for mayor of Carmel became you couldn't eat ice cream cones in town because of the mess. Doesn't mean much. On a serious note Oahu has in the past record number of pedestrian deaths due to people jaywalked or other wise being distracted. A law can bring awareness to a problem doesn't mean it's a nanny state
There's always at least one nanny in the crowd

Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Doubtless yet another way to generate fine revenue. In Seattle they still have extensive enforcement of jaywalking laws.

It is for one reason, and one reason only: money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies