Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why else would you keep telling a group that they're not as smart, that they need lower requirements in order to get into college, and are being treated unfairly by everyone so they need a hand up in the form of welfare?

If any of that was true we wouldn't see so many successful black and Hispanic people - they'd be struggling across the board.
I'm not sure if my perspective is limited by my social circle.

Most AA proponents seem to be white liberals. I have met quite a few blacks who complain about racism, but they never bring up the AA thing.

What do blacks and Hispanics really think of affirmative action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why else would you keep telling a group that they're not as smart, that they need lower requirements in order to get into college, and are being treated unfairly by everyone so they need a hand up in the form of welfare?

If any of that was true we wouldn't see so many successful black and Hispanic people - they'd be struggling across the board.
But affirmative action and quotas assure that we don't. What would happen without it? More blacks and Hispanics would be passed over for more whites and Asians.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Most AA proponents seem to be white liberals. I have met quite a few blacks who complain about racism, but they never bring up the AA thing.

Are you serious? They think affirmative action is need only because of past and present "white racism" and "white privilege" and "white supremacy".

Old 08-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
High school GPA is essentially meaningless without the context of an ACT/SAT score, as high schools have differing levels of quality/difficulty and even different grading scales.

Class rank without the context of an ACT/SAT score is essentially meaningless for the same reason.
Agree. GPA is subjective and grades are subject to bias. I long ago learned that even in college the difference between an "A" and a "C" depended entirely on the race and sex of the professor and their liberal/anti-white male bias or at the very least being a patsy in grade curving based on race. Needless to say my standardized test performance greatly exceeds my GPA. If someone has a high GPA their ACT/SAT score should be competitive.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,742 times
Quote:

It never really mattered to me because even with the policy in place, its still so easy to get around ie, rejecting applicants based on names, linkedin profile pictures, this new "culture fit" crap, etc. If anything, AA makes it so the recruiter at least looks at your app before discarding it based on whatever whims they have. As for how it makes other feel, I do not care. I earned my credentials and know my worth. I'm not about to spend my life proving myself to randoms crying because they "think" I'm an AA hire, student or whatever. As for what you said about liberals, you don't think Trump manipulated his supporters with the same rhetoric?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
It never really mattered to me because even with the policy in place, its still so easy to get around ie, rejecting applicants based on names, linkedin profile pictures, this new "culture fit" crap, etc. If anything, AA makes it so the recruiter at least looks at your app before discarding it based on whatever whims they have. As for how it makes other feel, I do not care. I earned my credentials and know my worth. I'm not about to spend my life proving myself to randoms crying because they "think" I'm an AA hire, student or whatever. As for what you said about liberals, you don't think Trump manipulated his supporters with the same rhetoric?
So what's the bottom line, Parker? Are you saying AA is unnecessary?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:

My black friends haven't ever discussed this in front of me, or with me, so I have no idea.

Will defer to the black posters on this one.

I do believe a lot of the cries of 'racism!' are done by SJW's who probably don't even know black people. Some of the things people complain about like the number of blacks in movies, etc., my black friends roll their eyes about.

Some of the most far to the left liberal people I've met live in the WHITEST suburbs.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And as Fisher vs. U of T has shown, it's groundless. I've already shown that lots of black persons with higher numbers than Ms. Fisher were rejected and several white applicants with lower scores were admitted.

And actually, mentioning Trump and his privilege (not to mention his son-in-law's case of getting into Harvard) is totally relevant to the context - he got into Penn as a favor from his family, his kids were legacies - and they weren't necessarily the most qualified candidates.
Read the Supreme Court cases on this issue. Do they hold that "it's groundless?" No.....no, they do not. They hold that having different standards for applicants of different races is Constitutionally permissible because it furthers the compelling government interest of increasing diversity in higher education. Which is a bunch of bunk, but that's what five justices signed off on.

And yes, Donald Trump and legacies or whatever are irrelevant. We're talking about racial preferences in university admissions, not something else.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I get it.

The employers always have ways to give minorities a hard time as long as they want.

But AA in college admissions is different.

Yes, Trump does manipulate his supporters on many levels. I honestly don't really expect any politician to be honest. The conservative politicians have their buzzwords that I don't give a crap about. For instance, "small government" doesn't make much sense to me. The government will spend zillions of dollars on military anyway, blue or red. The general public is too gullible, and the donors are too powerful. I believe a government is like a car, it can be a little bit bigger or smaller, but the money should be well spent. A larger engine delivers proportionally more power.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
All Black students are held to low standards in college admissions?

I ask because if the Black students are held to lower standards to get admitted into college but in the class they're the only Black student or there may be only 2-3 other Black students amidst a sea of White students, how is any Black student able to pass and graduate along with their White and Asian counterparts? Are the professors using one and two syllable words (Trump english) during their lectures for the Black students and then switch to translating the sentence for their White and Asians students? How much time does that take with the back and forth? Are predominately White professors grading Black student's work on a AA scale too? Are the Black students given less complicated AA textbooks to read? Economic classes which only cover simple math? I'm just wondering how does all this work in a college setting for Black students who earn their degree?

These students are coming from inferior academic schools, are behind scholaticly, dealing with cultural isolation and expected to earn a degree within 4-6 years, on average. That's a lot for a very young person to handle. I wonder how are these Black students able to do this? Are White professors compromising the quality of education at White institutions by using two different grading scales: An Affirmative Action grading scale which boost the grades of Blacks over Whites (which Black people know that's NOT happening)? Is this even ethical? In line with the school's mission statement?

If professors aren't comprising the quality of education at predominately White schools then the only viable conclusion is that Black students who earn their degree are even better than studies have given them credit for since they not only have to come from far behind upon being allowed in due to Affirmative Action, are loaded down with psychological and mental hurdles that their counterparts don't have, and then they have to be able to hold their own intellectually and academically in order to graduate. Please explain fatlou how all Black students are held to low standards to be admitted but yet are able to accomplish what they do and graduate?
Who says that these students are graduating with good grades? Do you have any evidence to back this up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies