Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I must have watched dozens of home security commercials and all of burglars are white.
I dunno, maybe they're just going with the stats?
Quote:
84% percent of burglars are committed by men. They are also predominantly white with the FBI reporting that over two-thirds of burglaries are committed by a white person. With such large margins it paints a pretty clear picture of the most likely person to break into your home.
Facts You Need To Know About Burglars | DIY Home Security

Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Maybe you should avoid commercials. They seem to trigger you.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Oh lord. Here we go with the white people are being persecuted threads.

The OP wants blacks in commercials as long as they're robbing people, or being the foil for a white man.

Same old, same old.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lol...oooops!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:38 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Why are advertisers so deathly afraid of offending blacks and feminists? I don't understand it. I must have watched dozens of home security commercials and all of burglars are white. Oh, and if a white and black person are in a commercial and one of them picks the wrong product........guess who? Maybe these companies are terrified that Al Sharpton will be at their company headquarters with CNN and a bullhorn demanding reparations. Also Dads are always portrayed as buffoons being outsmarted by the kids and wife. Seems like white males are the chosen punching bag ....
This is a moot issue for me, as I never watch commercials of any kind. How nice it is to have my own DVR to skip forward and avoid them. I almost never watch TV unless I've recorded it earlier, because of this. And this is the reason why there are so few choices in DVRs that you can buy and own-------the companies that make huge profits on commercials and on the products shown, work hard to squash their availability.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
going with the stats? you mean going with the "selective" majority. If your theory held any weight we wouldn't see models with burger toppings spill onto their boobs in Hardee's commercials. Or how about the unusual lack of blacks and mexican workers in McDonald's commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOYwz-1TeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCbvpJ4O6c

the increase of commercials that show men cooking in the kitchen instead of women? nice try though

Last edited by tailsock; 08-05-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
We all know Hollywood, the entertainment industry, the media, including commercials ALL reflect society exactly. You know, every family has gay members, or gay couples in it, every family has mixed race couples/marriages, women are always smarter, and better than men. Women are always treated poorly in the workplace, and don't make as much as men. The men are goofballs, stupid, and at best silly. Some are even racist, sexist, homophobes. You know reality.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We all know Hollywood, the entertainment industry, the media, including commercials ALL reflect society exactly. You know, every family has gay members, or gay couples in it, every family has mixed race couples/marriages, women are always smarter, and better than men. Women are always treated poorly in the workplace, and don't make as much as men. The men are goofballs, stupid, and at best silly. Some are even racist, sexist, homophobes. You know reality.
Pretty much. The truth is too tough for liberals to tackle (and they're easy to spot).

Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I always laugh at how 'inclusive' commercials are these days.

I guarantee, in any commercial you see on TV where you see a group of guys, gals, people, there will be multiple whites and that one token black person. A popular one is food or beer commercials, there'll be a group of guys sitting on a couch, most white but always that one black guy.

Notice never any asians or other race/ethnicities.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:40 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Does anyone actually have a job making advertisements or commercials for companies... It's not as premeditated as you think. It usually just comes down to, what did our company do for other commercials (let's not look monotonous), what's the demographic of the area we're launching it in (let's match it), which people are better actors, and other practical considerations.

Also, look at most of Hollywood... you're surprised the actors in a lot of commercials you see are white? It's not just the burglars, dude, most people in commercials period are white.
Yes an no. I've had clients actually come out and say they don't want blacks or Hispanics in their creative. Mostly though the data that created the ad buy will steer the content and dictate some of the casting.
But there are times when you're correct, you are flying by the seat of your pants and you just hope to not hit a mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies