Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
At my company we call it a good 'fit'. Each employee and new hire must be deemed to be a good 'fit."

See. Here's the thing. Does anyone really think that a Fortune 500 company wants to hear the opinions of their employees? Especially in such spectacular fashion?

I can assure you - they don't.

Want to put your career on a downward trajectory? Tell your bosses how wrong they are. Yeah; they love that kind of thing. :roll eyes:

I suggest this young man go forth and learn how to win friends and influence people. In right-wing america, there are little employee protections and a business can fire whoever they want and for any reason. Perhaps they didn't like his shirt that day.
I know lol. Why do young employees always think anyone cares about what they have to say? They are so egotistical, they actually believe employers who tell them they want their opinions and suggestions. It never ceases to amaze me how supposedly intelligent educated kids fall for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nope. Trying to help the company meet its diversity goal by trotting out a rant which attacks a group which is underrrepresented in tech with a broadbrushed screed? Please stop already.
There was no rant, and there's no reason to think women are underrepresented in tech.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There was no rant, and there's no reason to think women are underrepresented in tech.
It's not necessarily the rep, it's the evidence of the differences in pay between men & women that is the issue.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's not necessarily the rep, it's the evidence of the differences in pay between men & women that is the issue.
Where is that evidence, and why should someone presume that the difference isn't justified by differences in quality and quantity of work?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Where is that evidence, and why should someone presume that the difference isn't justified by differences in quality and quantity of work?
Frankly, these 'unsettled' issues represent the crux of the interrelated matters:

Quote:
THE DEPARTMENT OF Labor’s increasingly heated dispute with Google over a gender pay gap began, innocently enough, with a routine audit.

As a federal contractor, Google must comply with the US government’s nondiscrimination and affirmative action statutes. In 2015, Google’s number randomly came up for inspection by the Office of Federal Contractor Compliance Programs, a division of the Department of Labor that audits government vendors on their diversity practices. Google turned over a “snapshot” of employment data, including job title, gender, race, salary, bonuses, and incentives for about 21,000 workers located at its headquarters in Mountain View, California, that year. During the audit, however, the agency found “systemic compensation disparities against women pretty much across the entire workforce,” according to testimony from a DoL official.

...Even without the anecdotes, Herold says her office could bring a statistical-based enforcement using the data. She told WIRED that preliminary analysis showed 6 to 7 standard deviations between pay for men and women in nearly every job classification. (In Oracle’s case, the DoL found a standard deviation between 7 and 10, she says.)

Google says it learned about the standard deviation estimates for the first time from WIRED, and that this is another example of the agency not being transparent. ...
GOOGLE DELIBERATELY CONFUSES ITS EMPLOYEES, FED SAYS

https://www.wired.com/story/google-d...r-pay-lawsuit/

Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Frankly, these 'unsettled' issues represent the crux of the interrelated matters:

https://www.wired.com/story/google-d...r-pay-lawsuit/
Nobody argues that there is no difference. We argue the difference comes from personal choice not from sexism or discrimination.

Show us the evidence that women are discriminated and deliberately paid less for doing the same job with the same quality.

You can't!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody argues that there is no difference. We argue the difference comes from personal choice not from sexism or discrimination.

Show us the evidence that women are discriminated and deliberately paid less for doing the same job with the same quality.

You can't!
The reason why I stated these are unsettled.

Personally, I'm not interested in going in circles with you, we've been down that road too many times, it's not news. G'night & have a pleasant tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM

983 posts, read 738,532 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_B140QsPg

Old 08-09-2017, 11:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
While not addressed to me, hoping you don't mind if I add my 2 cents?
Mind I comment?

Quote:
Underlying the particular scenario cited in the OP & now this 38 page thread is the evidence of the differences in pay between men & women in the technology sector (stating the obvious ~ this is not just evidenced at Google).
In many fields it is though, not just tech and not just Google. I'll get to that later but it isn't uncommon at all that women do end up making less than men in the same role.

Quote:
If you look at the particular overall scenario at Google, one might say they brought all kinds of ire from various 'positions' by going after & receiving government business contracts. In exchange for the business, they agreed to a closer scrutiny to ensure they were adhering to terms of the contract.
Fair point.

Quote:
A routine audit (as part of the contractual agreement) revealed evidence that there were pretty extreme differences in pay between men & women at Google (standard deviation of 7 iirc).
Which to be fair is because a female business writing professor told my Integrated Business Writing class when asked this question "Women (on a whole) don't negotiate pay." A woman is more likely to not combat a low-ball offer. There is some proof to this point. A Salary.Com article confirms this with a 16% gap between 46% of men who negotiate wages to 30% of women who negotiate. In a different take on the issue from a Huffington Post (now HuffPost) article states that when women do negotiate pay, they face a 5.5 times likelihood of being penalized for asking for a higher wage. A PayScale.Com article has a solution, know that women (and millennials on a whole) need to know that the pay gap (partially) exists due to not negotiating.

Quote:
Upper management (unsure who) at Google apparently took the preliminary findings (by DOL audit) seriously & were attempting to remedy by a push to attract & retain more women in positions where pay parity was more plausible.
Which is possible, who truly knows.

Quote:
Some folks, in particular, the writer of the memo (now referred to as his 'manifesto') attempted to make his feelings known by a 10 page document (memo or manifesto) & circulated internally throughout the Google office where he was employed. His largest assertion, imho, is the evidence of the differences in pay between men & women employed at Google is not entirely related to a bias against women, but attributable to biological differences between the genders.
Which is somewhat true. MOST women (I capitalized most for a reason) do not negotiate as does PayScale finds with Millennials like me. I haven't worked a real job where I have to truly negotiate my wage, it is a take it, or leave it system with all the jobs I've worked. Could be because Arizona is right to work and at will.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times

https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...08/daily-chart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies