Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
It is off the books. Does that matter? Right now, she is my best option of the 4 (well 3). I am still looking though.

She could be deported for working while on visa if it's against the rules for her to work while on student visa.

Now you are list like the companies that hire illegals because the illegals will work 'under the table' for lower wages than American workers.

You would be hiring an illegal worker.

If you believe in "law and order", you should follow the law and hire a worker that's allowed to work in the USA. And if required to pay taxes or give 1099 at year end to IRS/worker, then you should follow the law. It's not that hard to track the wages and then file a 1099 at end of year for the income earned. This allows the worker to be an independent contractor and they can take out social security tax and income tax and submit to IRS on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Are foreign students allowed to work on a student visa? I have no idea. Never looked into it.
Depends.

Type student visa

Area of study

Years completed

On vs. off campus

Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
They would kill for the job.
They would even make dinner for the parent. Serving up mashed baby potatoes with green pee.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You wouldn't do some sort of background check on a childcare provider?
Of course I will, after I pick who i want to hire I will have a complete background check done along with a license search for driving record. It can actually be done through the school (I pay for it) or I can hire an agency to do it on my own.
I actually also asked all applicants to bring references with them (forgot this part) and the 2 Americans did not bring any and the girl on VISA came with 2 names and phone numbers for parents she has babysat for so I can call them for reference.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
She could be deported for working while on visa if it's against the rules for her to work while on student visa.

Now you are list like the companies that hire illegals because the illegals will work 'under the table' for lower wages than American workers.

You would be hiring an illegal worker.

If you believe in "law and order", you should follow the law and hire a worker that's allowed to work in the USA. And if required to pay taxes or give 1099 at year end to IRS/worker, then you should follow the law. It's not that hard to track the wages and then file a 1099 at end of year for the income earned. This allows the worker to be an independent contractor and they can take out social security tax and income tax and submit to IRS on their own.
The way you wrote that sounds like you are suggesting sandbagging a 1099 on someone.

Only a total scumbag would do such a thing.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Seems your pay rate is under market rate for your area. You found an illegal worker that will work lower than American workers.

More Than A Nanny - Nannies, Baby Nurses, Top Nanny Agency Placements

This (20-25/hr wage) was from 2015 and wages are likely higher now

Number of Hours Offered NY/NJ
Statistics show that nannies who work less hours per week are typically paid more per hour than nannies who work more hours per week. For example, if you are looking for a nanny for afterschool care hours you will likely need to pay $20-25 per hour compared to a full time nanny who is earning more per week but is paid at a rate of $15-20 per hour. This is simply because part time nannies are harder to retain than full time nannies and the weekly rate needs to be worth their time to maintain a part time schedule.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Depends.

Type student visa

Area of study

Years completed

On vs. off campus
Yah, I worked at my Follett Bookstore where I was literally the only American. I had co-workers from Sri Lanka, India, Venezuela, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia and probably a couple other countries I'm forgetting. It depends.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Horrifying I tell you, simply horrifying. <---------- sarcasm.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yah, I worked at my Follett Bookstore where I was literally the only American. I had co-workers from Sri Lanka, India, Venezuela, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia and probably a couple other countries I'm forgetting. It depends.
That part time Ninja job must not pay well.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
The way you wrote that sounds like you are suggesting sandbagging a 1099 on someone.

Only a total scumbag would do such a thing.
See where I said " if required to pay taxes or give 1099"? That means I don't know the requirements but suggest the OP do what's required. See where I also said "follow the law". I am not hiring the worker so I don't know whether the law allows 1099 or if it requires employer to pay the taxes to the IRS or maybe it's even exempt and doesn't require either. I am not sure what the law is in this case. However, hiring a foreigner that's on a student visa and paying someone under-the-table likely isn't following the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies