Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:29 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,449,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

What I got from this is that black people invented Rock n Roll. This isn't mentioned enough. In fact, black people invented mostly all modern forms of music that deals with singing. Before hand, mainstream music was mostly instruments and perhaps a chorus in the background.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
What I got from this is that black people invented Rock n Roll. This isn't mentioned enough. In fact, black people invented mostly all modern forms of music that deals with singing. Before hand, mainstream music was mostly instruments and perhaps a chorus in the background.
This couldn't be further from truth, you had better do a little research before believing this video.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
White perspective, that is all.
That too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
This couldn't be further from truth, you had better do a little research before believing this video.
The African American influence on popular music is undeniable. No black folks, no blues, rock, jazz, gospel (as we know it), soul, etc.

And those forms of music are uniquely American. Everything else could be found elsewhere in the world.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
I really cant speak on this. Even though I'm black, however I'm not an African American and have not faced historical experiences of oppressions faced by Black Americans across the American landscape. From reading and doing research about MLK, a man that I do admire to some extent due to his infidelity. MLK his indeed a black conservative, he is no different than many conservatives in the south when it comes to faith. All MLK wanted was fear economic treatment for black Americans who have been cheated out of many economic programs that benefited newly drafted white inclusion bracket after world war 2. If MLK was alive today, he would have not supported gay marriage or transgender laws due to it being against god and the bible, and such laws would have implications of destroying the black community. MLK would also would not be very fond of hip hop culture which is glorified in gangsta culture which decimated black communities from LA to NYC.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I wouldn't say it's the college lifestyle... it's the lifestyle of any large organized crime group to be flashy about their sex, drugs, and money. Sure, everyone likes those things period but most people who like gold buy earrings (or whatever jewelry you prefer)... not gold grills. That's a specific culture that goes beyond the usual sex, partying and money non-gangstas like.

-- But, ok, giving it some thought, I'm not as familiar with 90s rap versus today so maybe you're right that it got a lot less "hard."
Some 1980s rap and especially 1990s rap actually was "gangsta." I grew up in that era. "Thug Life" in regards to Tupac and his later LPs was about a "gangsta" lifestyle. Many of Biggie's songs were about a "gangsta" lifestyle.

If you don't know much about 1990s rap music, then you don't know what gangsta rap is.

Look up some youtube videos.

Some of my favorite gangsta rap songs that I workout to at the gym (I'm from Ohio, I like Bone and think a lot of these new "singing a$$ rappers" are trying to be like Bone):

Notorious Thugs (Bone Thugs in Harmony and Biggie Smalls)

Warning (Biggie Smalls/Notorious BIG)

East 99 (Bone Thugs in Harmony)

Colors (Ice-T) One of the first well known gangsta rap songs associated with a movie "Colors" about gangs in LA. This song came out in the late 1980s.

Menace to Society (MC Eiht) This one, unfortunately embodies many of the people I grew up with - gangsta rap was more about a dangerous lifestyle that will get you killed. Many of the songs were warnings to youth to not engage in that lifestyle. This one was also a soundtrack to a movie - one of my favorites of that era about street life.

Some of the lyrics in case you don't want to listen to it:

Quote:
A F****d up childhood, is why the way I am
It's got me in the state where I don't give a dam, hmm
Somebody help me, but nah they don't hear me though
I guess I'll be another victim of the ghetto
Ain't no escapin', cause I'm way too young
Pops is dealin', and on top of that got moms sprung
Scheamin' off the top, pops never figured
That he'd go down by the hands of another n*gga
Now my pops is gone and that ain't no good
Got to follow in the foot steps of the homies from the hood
And where's the role model?
N*ggaz putting brew in my ****in' baby bottle!
Damn, and through all the motherf****in' pain
They done drove my moms insane
So I guess I gotta do work so I ain't finished
I grow up to be a straight up menace, yea
Quote:
Now I'm of age, and livin' in the projects
Gettin' paid off the clucks and the county checks
I'm Fil-ia fresh outta high school, never did I wonder
That the motherf**in' hood would take me under
Gyeah, I'm kickin' it with the homies and they got the straps
Off to the corner store, owned by the f****in' Japs
See a b**ch in the right lane so I comes with the mack
Astro Bam pulls a motherf****in' jack from the back
Now he's got the strap to my homie's head
See him play that sh*t cool, and don't be a fool!
He shot my n*gga in the f***in' head
I caught one in the shoulder, if I didn't run I was dead
Now I'm layin' in the hospital bed
Thinkin' about them punk motherf**kers and my eyes is bloodshot red
Yeah motherf****ers, I ain't finished
Be on the look-out for the straight up menace, yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Has there been a poll?
LOL, I don't think there needs to be one

Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

When gangsta music is glorified the jails fill up.
I wouldn't put that all on the music. High unemployment and under employment in these poor communities makes illegal money more appealing because there aren't enough employment options. Most gangsta music is reflecting the communities these rappers come from. What type of rap music do you expect from a rapper who grew up in a Chicago housing project?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM

Wanted to note for Ann in regards to "grills" that is also not from the era of gangsta rap. That became more popular with southern rappers like Master P and later from the late 90s/early 00s. Gangster rap was mostly the East Coast/West Coast stuff back in the day.

When I was young only crackheads (who got off crack) had gold teeth.

And there are some rappers who are more hard than others today, but most of the popular rappers I have to listen to (I have a teenager who listens to rap music) are nothing like the rappers I used to listen to in regards to violent lyrical content and speaking of killing people in songs. I only recently let my oldest even listen to my favorite songs from the 90s because they were too violent for him to be listening to IMO and he will be 16 soon. He agrees that old school rappers were "harder" than the newer rappers.

Rarely do the new rappers tell any relevant "street life" stories in their lyrics. Most of them haven't even grown up in "the ghetto" and they mostly rap about having sex, having money, and getting high/drunk versus rappers in the 1990s rapped about growing up in the projects, selling drugs, killing people, and f-in people up.

Funny but my son is really into the Ice Cube song "Today was a Good Day" since I let him listen to 90s rap. He loves that song and Menace to Society (that whole soundtrack was hot).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 08-09-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put that all on the music. High unemployment and under employment in these poor communities makes illegal money more appealing because there aren't enough employment options. Most gangsta music is reflecting the communities these rappers come from. What type of rap music do you expect from a rapper who grew up in a Chicago housing project?
Umm, that's not true. Many of these rappers don't or didn't even live this lifestyle.

LL Cool J did not
Sean Combs (attended Howard University instead)
Kanye West
Chance The Rapper
Lil Wayne
Ludacris (not a gang banger)
Drake
Tyga

Many more.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post

Umm, that's not true. Many of these rappers don't or didn't even live this lifestyle.

LL Cool J did not
Sean Combs (attended Howard University instead)
Kanye West
Chance The Rapper
Lil Wayne
Ludacris (not a gang banger)
Drake
Tyga

Many more.
Most of those rappers aren't gangsta rappers. Gangsta rap specifically came from rappers who did get exposed to the streets growing up.

Last edited by Motion; 08-09-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I really cant speak on this. Even though I'm black, however I'm not an African American and have not faced historical experiences of oppressions faced by Black Americans across the American landscape. From reading and doing research about MLK, a man that I do admire to some extent due to his infidelity. MLK his indeed a black conservative, he is no different than many conservatives in the south when it comes to faith. All MLK wanted was fear economic treatment for black Americans who have been cheated out of many economic programs that benefited newly drafted white inclusion bracket after world war 2. If MLK was alive today, he would have not supported gay marriage or transgender laws due to it being against god and the bible, and such laws would have implications of destroying the black community. MLK would also would not be very fond of hip hop culture which is glorified in gangsta culture which decimated black communities from LA to NYC.
On the bold, you don't know what MLK would have supported or have been fond of.

I know or have met (before they passed away) many of the men who marched with Dr. King. All of them, and even his wife supported gay marriage and were sympathetic to transgendered people. In Atlanta, where Dr. King was from, there are a lot of gay LGBT individuals and there are a lot of older Civil Rights icons still alive like Andrew Young and John Lewis who knew personally and who worked with Dr. King who are sympathetic to LGBT causes and support these laws. They also know and counsel rappers and don't believe that all of them are bad. Rap/hip hop did not "decimate" black communities. Rap/Hip Hop of the era that I grew up in, which was "gangsta rap" told the stories of what we grew up in and what we had to endure in relation to the devastation of drugs being in our communities and the effect that it had on our lives and neighborhoods. Rap/hip hop was not initially about drugs. The late 80s and 1990s is now considered the "golden age" of hip hop because of the fact that many of those old songs were brutally honest and truthful about what was going on in the country. They reflected reality and didn't create that reality. Today crime is down, less black people live in inner cities, and the "gangsta" genre of rap is not prevalent as a result. Rappers rap about what is going on. That stuff is not going on today like it used to and black people were not "decimated" by it in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies