Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

I hope she is ready if she visits the Caribbean. Everyone is sweetie, baby, love, darling and so on...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Eh, to me, a northerner by birth, sweetheart is a term of familiarity and inappropriately used by those with whom I do not share a close relationship. I did not watch the video, so I cannot speak to the specifics of Judd's behavior, but I don't like it when people other than my husband or mother call me sweetheart either.
Thanks for sharing.

You want some more coffee, Hon?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

You want some more coffee, Hon?

Yeah, I've lived in places where that's common, and "hon" bothers me, too. I don't care for any diminutive or term of endearment used by anyone other than my husband or mother. As far as I'm concerned, you call me Mrs. ____ unless I have personally invited you to do otherwise. I even bristle when the cashier at the local Safeway calls me by my first name.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-09-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I hope she is ready if she visits the Caribbean. Everyone is sweetie, baby, love, darling and so on...LOL.
Caribbeaners are the most lovely and friendly people. When they tell you to have a blessed day, they genuinely mean it. Even my agnostic Jew hubby is quick to smile and preen when they tell him that. He's quite touched by their kindness and always repeats "you, too!" back to them.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Same thing... you are a pc crybaby sweetheart.
I disagree. As a married woman of a certain age, I expect to be addressed by the honorific Mrs. until I personally invite you to do otherwise, and I will demonstrate the same respect to you by using the honorific Mr. when interacting with you. I am very uncomfortable with the assumption of intimacy inherent in the use of sweetheart outside of family relationships. And if you teach your children to call me the sickenly saccharine Miss "first name" you'd better duck, because there will soon be a shoe flying at your head.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
I disagree. As a married woman of a certain age, I expect to be addressed by the honorific Mrs. until I personally invite you to do otherwise, and I will demonstrate the same respect to you by using the honorific Mr. when interacting with you. I am very uncomfortable with the assumption of intimacy inherent in the use of sweetheart outside of family relationships. And if your teach your children to call me the sickenly saccharine Miss "first name" you'd better duck, because there will soon be a shoe flying at your head.
So many triggers.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Good for you! Offended by a person showing you respect. Way to freakin go, young man.

Same thing... you are a pc crybaby sweetheart.

It most definitely is!

Amazing, isn't it? Apparently, looney tunes Ashley Judd isn't the only one driven to fly off the handle (and engage in acts of violence) because someone called her "sweetheart."

Yeesh.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Ha! I don't think anyone would call me a shrinking violet or particularly sensitive. At this point in my life, I'm battle worn and tough as nails. Some might even call me a *****, but the fact remains that in my social group, nobody uses sweetheart or hon outside of family. To do so would be extremely presumptuous and blatantly inappropriate.

I agree with the bolded statement. Nobody I know would even think of calling a random stranger sweetheart or honey. And a good number of them would be extremely offended if someone, especially of the opposite gender used those terms to refer to them.

Best I can tell, this seems to be a regional and generational thing. If you are on the older side and/or from the south, it seems like this is something that people do. If you are younger and/or from the north, you might get a good ass chewing or worse if you say it to the wrong person. I know a few people that would throw punches if they heard some asshat TSA agent or other stranger address their spouse as sweetheart or honey.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a freak, a harmless compliment is now sexist.
<>
Her face is really crooked. Is she stroked out or is that Botox?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
My dad and I sail to the caribbean every year and I notice that alot, In bermuda I hear alot of english terms like luv, hun even something like downton abbey "fancy some tea darling" bermuda has the strangest accents

Quote:
Ha! I don't think anyone would call me a shrinking violet or particularly sensitive. At this point in my life, I'm battle worn and tough as nails. Some might even call me a *****, but the fact remains that in my social group, nobody uses sweetheart or hon outside of family. To do so would be extremely presumptuous and blatantly inappropriate.
You sound alot like ashley judd, human interaction is getting alot less needed though with online shopping. Pretty soon you wont have to deal with any humans at all in stores with all the online shopping , you might be able to just have safeway and cvs pharmacy have your anti depressants and medicine ready to go for quick pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies