Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That is nice to hear. I am glad it can still happen in some places.
Just because it can where you are does not mean it can happen everywhere.
In some places you cannot
I see you post a lot on the MN board so I assume you're from there. I was too and a lot of these things happened when I lived there. They still happen after I moved to CA which, accordion to posters from the right, I would probably go to prison for. I will wait for an info wars video saying as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
I would like to be able to say Merry Christmas and have a office Christmas party with a Christmas tree up.
The use of greens to celebrate the Winter Solstuce predates Christianity by thousands of years.

Your expectations would have conflicted with those of most US people and employers throughout most of US history.

The first War on Christmas was waged by Christian Puritan settlers who believed holiday celebrations were the work of the devil. Many settlements and colonies banned celebrations. The influx of immigrants from other parts of Europe refused to assimilate. Imagine that. German immigrants brought the concept of Chistmas Trees to the US. Other immigrants brought their cultures of merry making.

It took 277 years for Congress to declare Christmas a national holiday and it was very controversial. It was unthinkable that an employer would be expected to host celebrations.

There are more than 40,000 Christian denominations/ sects in the US, today. Not all acknowledge 12/25 as Christmas Day, depending on the calendar they use. Some continue to ban the celebration of Christmas with trees, baubles, carols and parties. Same for Halloween and the Easter Bunny.

There are thousands more non- Christian religions that do not observe Christmas.

We are a nation of immigrants and culture has and will continue to evolve.

I am as agnostic as they come. I love Christmas decorations, carols, including religious and parties. It's "the most wonderful time of year" and all that. Having said that, I would not dream of imposing it on others.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I would like to be able to say Merry Christmas and have a office Christmas party with a Christmas tree up.
Why do the christian holiday traditions need to occur *at work*? We have a ton of holiday parties. But why is it important to have your own personal religious views validated at work? I would think home and your place of worship would be better for that.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Back? Native Americans migrated to the US like everyone else.
Everyone migrated from somewhere to just about everywhere and brought their cultures along with them.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
I actually doubt very much many people would object to christian symbols in public places if it were not for the prevalence of people using their "christian values" in public legislative discourse.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
This country was never homogeneous. It had European colonists from different countries that spoke different languages, reason why we did not have a national language from the start. It also had native Americans as well as afroamericans.

A country breaks apart when there is a push by a group to try to assimilate and erase those of different backgrounds.

English will always be the uniting language of this country, because it is the language that allows immigrants from different backgrounds and languages to communicate and do business which each other.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
Diversity was part of the Foundation Principles of the "fathers of USA" not a single religión not even a single mention of Christian values. It was somehow the background that since USA was a Majority Christian Country then the values and principle were going to be quite aligned to Christian Values. But the Fathers of USA were not Christians, and None of them Catholic.

Freemasonry, the esoteric satanic cult which rules the USA is in fact the Mother of USA. The Fathers of USA were all satanic Masons and all of them were Excomunicated fromt he Body of Christ The Catholic Church. Either by being heretic protestants or by being Satanic FreeMasons.

So yes, it was part of the plan of The Fathers of USA to have a nation of Spiritualy Divided Citizens, not lead by a majority religión, and even today the council of Foreign Relations and the Department of State found the many different Denominations to "PROMOTE THE RELIGIOUS DIVERSITY"

Now that USA has more than 2 million Muslims, the divided christians are scared of the changing face of their country but the Freemasons are not scared at all, they promote religious diversity so they can CREATE CAOS AND THUS SETTLE THEIR ORDER.

You may ask ¿what order is that? and the answer is easy, People living in cheap houses made of shyti materials, people being indebt for the rest of their lives paying their expensive mortgages, Young people being charged with monster loans to get University Education, Military tycoons flooding their pockets and the pockets of their descendants to the eight generation with the uncontrolled expense on military from the taxes of the struggling middle class. Wars in the Middle East where middle class people is expected to put their blood and bodies while oil tycoons are expected to take the oil and royalties. And so on and so on.
How exactly did the Catholic Church excommunicate " the founding fathers" who were not members of that church and most people in the US, at that time , were not Catholic?

As an aside, more than 20% of the US population has had no religious identity for nearly 30 years far surpassing those who identify as non - Christian religions.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-10-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Last I knew , there is not a single reference to God or Christians in the Constitution.

This obsession with God in politics is a relatively recent phenomena.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:50 AM

221 posts, read 187,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
There were many cultures that inhabited a land for years, and were overtaken by other peoples... so what?
That's my point. You're complaining about diversity and claiming it turns the country into a "putrid wasteland".

Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
This country was never homogeneous. It had European colonists from different countries that spoke different languages, reason why we did not have a national language from the start. It also had native Americans as well as afroamericans.

A country breaks apart when there is a push by a group to try to assimilate and erase those of different backgrounds.

English will always be the uniting language of this country, because it is the language that allows immigrants from different backgrounds and languages to communicate and do business which each other.

No one is trying to erase anyone's backgrounds but assimilation into the mainstream society is necessary for a cohesive nation. Otherwise balkanization is what will break a nation apart, not unity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies