Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,461 times

Advertisements

Many people find Google's search engine controversial with their user tracking methods. Even with Google's Chrome browser, your browsing history might be reported with all those information stats (if using windows just take a look at your scheduled tasks and try to figure out why there is so many tasks related to google). Due to the proprietary nature of Chrome, we don't really know what info is being collected.

Seems a competitor has arisen with a simple slogan. DuckDuckGo: "DuckDuckGo is the search engine that doesn't track you. We protect your search history from everyone – even us!"

Personally, I'm glad we still have competition in most areas of our market. I'm sick of these giant monopolies telling me what I have accept in order to enjoy my internet experience.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Also, many email users are switching to more secure services such as Protonmail, a company based out of Switzerland. It's time we show these huge companies that consumer demand comes first.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 PM

I was PMed requesting more info on internet privacy. It's more useful if I post it here.

Here's a good starting point:
https://medium.com/@guohuade/getting...t-477ce6d78286

Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 39,616 times
I pay for email service partly for these reasons and partly because I am not having my personal communications swept up into the Google hivemind. Well, not the email ones. They have all my calling and location data and my contacts and my calendar and everything I put on Google Drive because it was easier to share that than emailing files around and they can cross-reference that with however much browsing data they manage to get on me after my anti-tracking measures are taken into account.

Sigh.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanal View Post
I pay for email service partly for these reasons and partly because I am not having my personal communications swept up into the Google hivemind. Well, not the email ones. They have all my calling and location data and my contacts and my calendar and everything I put on Google Drive because it was easier to share that than emailing files around and they can cross-reference that with however much browsing data they manage to get on me after my anti-tracking measures are taken into account.

Sigh.
Still, you're trying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies