Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Nasty? I am not the one driving a truck with a confederate flag stuck in the back and some rifle in the passenger seat yelling racial epithets out the window as I drive by...it's all on rednecks themselves. These forgotten Americans are losers because they are stupid and refuse to study in school. It's no ones fault but their own. They have access to education but choose to not expand their mind.
Thanks for continuing to prove my point.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
That only means you don't represent the majority.
Or maybe you misunderstood just exactly what that majority truly is. Did you think about that?

Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Nasty? I am not the one driving a truck with a confederate flag stuck in the back and some rifle in the passenger seat yelling racial epithets out the window as I drive by...it's all on rednecks themselves. These forgotten Americans are losers because they are stupid and refuse to study in school. It's no ones fault but their own. They have access to education but choose to not expand their mind.
Sooooo..... all rednecks do this? Is it in the handbook they were given at birth (you know, with pictures, because they can't read, even as adults)?

All rednecks are stupid, huh?

Man, talk about your narrow-minded, bigoted, judgemental people.

Hypocrite, much?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I think you missed the point the poster is making. He or she is saying your definition of rednecks is all about ridiculous stereotype.

What is your definition of a "redneck"?! Do you honestly believe all rednecks drive a truck with a confederate flag stuck in the back?!

I think first you need to define the word, otherwise, this discussion is useless at best.

For some people, the most recognized would refer to a poor, blue collar, white, and outspoken conservative southern man or woman.

Another definition which most people are not aware of actually goes back to the early 20th century. In the 1920s and 30s, there were numerous and multi-raced coal miners throughout Appalachia. When these miners became part of the union, many of them would wear red bandanas. The bandannas showed brotherhood and solidarity amongst multiple races and let all in the coal mines know they were part of a union which took care of its own. The same outspoken traits can be associated with the more current definition of redneck to this day.

The other group of rednecks are really more of a "good old boy" network and they are some of the hardest working, generous, loyal, patriotic, and hospitable folks you will ever meet. There are a lot of Southern men and women in the American military. I have friends who fly confederate flag in the battle field in third world country, they just wanted to show their southern warrior spirit. Nothing more or less. NONE is a racist. Matter of fact, it is THEM who told me not all Muslims are bad people.

Rednecks are the same as any group of people, you have good, bad and indifferent. Some rednecks are 100% exactly like the stereotype people envision, but, rednecks are just people and like any group, race, religion, or whatever label associated, you will have good and bad.

Add: This particular statement is not directed at you. I think the so called educated people can be just as .. well.. ignorant or bigoted. Their way of racism is just more passive aggressive, more subtle, indirect.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-13-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Redneck (noun): a person who lives in a rural area, enjoys the outdoors, doesn't put great value in appearance, likes social activities, prefers a good BBQ or crawfish boil over a coffee shop, prone to sing along with a song knowing they sing poorly and can laugh at themselves.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?
Why do you label people on the left "communists" when most clearly aren't?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:08 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Better to be a Redneck than a Pajama Boy.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Agree. It's a mindset, a set of behavior and an attitude that stem from a lack of education and a very limited understanding of the world. Basically redneck means a stupid person with a truck.
I have a really good description of you, but I'll restrain myself.

BTW, I wouldn't apply the description to all liberals, just the tools that demonstrate they deserve the description.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Better to be a Redneck than a Pajama Boy.
I'll take the pajama boy over the redneck. I may not like some of what pajama boys might do. However, no pajama boy has ever called me the "N" word. No pajama boy has ever bullied me or harassed me. Rednecks have done that to me.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
It's pretty sad - and a little telling - that you define and assign that word based solely on whether or not someone is a racist jerk.

Well, I guess you have that a right to do that. But I'm sure you'll understand if others ignore it for more accurate - and less race-baiting - definitions.
How is it telling?

What's sad is that either there is reading comprehension problems, or a willful dissonance on your part.

By the way, read this: Black Rednecks & White Liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies