Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This was a failing of the Democratic party in that era, they picked a southern Democrat with a lot of conservative support. In a sense he was a compromise candidate, a 'middle of the road' or 'centrist' politician. The south had been sliding into Republican affiliation and the Democratic party reacted by settling upon someone acceptable to conservatives.
The Clinton's are still running the party. It is not because of Republicans.

Quote:
I did not like it when he signed the bill dismantling Glass-Steagall, it felt it was a betrayal of the people, but it was the Republicans in congress who pushed the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (all three being Republican sponsors) also known as the "Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999" and the Democrats were the majority who opposed it. This was not the only time Clinton went against the left wing of his party.
There is about 3 people in the "left wing" of the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Wow, what a distortion!

The crises of 2007, 2008 and 2009 is directly traceable to Republican actions to de-regulate the banks. Specifically the repeal of Glass-Steagall. There was a very good reason those banks were regulated in that manner since 1933. When originally proposed, the Glass-Steagall act was opposed by Republicans and they had it in their sights for decades. Most of the votes in congress to repeal the act were Republican and most of the votes to keep the act in place were Democrats.

It is nice that you recognize the Democratic party as the party that helps people, it's a seriously important admission, but this was all about Republican efforts to help banks, by de-regulating. Big difference!
No, it is not! It is directly traceable to Jimmy Carter and the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) which forced banks to make loans to low income people who couldn't qualify under previous banking rules. This is fact, and isn't even arguable. Republicans warned for years that it would eventually result in exactly what happened in late 2008. Democrats wouldn't even discuss the problem, but when the "mortgage crisis" actually happened just as predicted, Democrats blamed Republicans.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Define "alt-right," a term coined by Hillary Clinton to describe (mainly) those she called "Trump's basket of deplorables." There really is no "alt-right."

David Horowitz is brilliant, and he understands the Left far better than anyone else (except perhaps Dinesh d'Souza). David Horowitz grew up with communist parents, and he understands their thinking. As a former sixties Leftist, he knows what they are about, and he knows what "progressivism" is about.

You write him off as if he is an uneducated boob simply because he writes about people like you, and you are unhappy with being exposed for who you are.
Acting as if communists and progressives are one and the same is your first big mistake. That would be like me saying since the Right seems to love Russia and Authoritarianism now....that they are Commies. They are not. Rather they are authoritarians.

Alt-Right? You are correct. It's a big joke. But Steve Bannon and Breitbart - those Hollywood Millionaires- have somehow corralled disparate groups from the KKK to the Confederates to the white supremacists to the warmongers and racists.....all under one banner. We call it "alt-right". You can look up the definition on the interweb if you are confused.

Brilliant? Again, I do not question the intelligence here. Anyone with smarts will likely sell out for a guaranteed income and fame. The harder course of action it to "be true to thyself"....and involves nuances that one does not get paid for.

As far as experience, you are talking to someone who came of age in about 1969-1970 and lived in a REAL commune for years and had our first child in a tent with midwives doing the delivery. After that I worked in alternative energy (my own businesses) for decades. My friends and cohorts were largely responsible for the first "communities" on the internet and have made innovations which would make your head spin.

So, please, don't tell me how David....an "academic" who has found the gravy train selling cheap propaganda to the uneducated.....is someone to listen to. If you really want to know the score I'll be glad to fill you in.

You see - being a real progressive is like being a real husband. You take the vow to stay married (have been for 45 years). You also take a vow to be thoughtful and compassionate to others, to pay your fair share (taxes) and to avoid situations where you look at the country and world as "everyone for themselves".

if you want to know about progressives I'll tell you a number of LIFE stories...like about the folks who went to Central American for a DECADE after the earthquakes and rebuilt communities. Or the others who went into the Bronx and ran an EMT and Ambulance service when everyone else abandoned it.

These folks are as far from David Horowitz as Ghandi is from a snake.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They thought they could take this country in a bloodless coup. They were wrong.
And they're still trying. Obama has not left the scene, but is operating as a "shadow government" out of his mansion in D.C.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
No, it is not! It is directly traceable to Jimmy Carter and the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) which forced banks to make loans to low income people who couldn't qualify under previous banking rules. This is fact, and isn't even arguable. Republicans warned for years that it would eventually result in exactly what happened in late 2008. Democrats wouldn't even discuss the problem, but when the "mortgage crisis" actually happened just as predicted, Democrats blamed Republicans.
Yes they warned BUT did nothing as doing something would require regulations and they would not risk losing votes in actually backing their words.

They had the House, Senate and White House under Bush and did nothing.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
(Gulp).. I think I may be Alt-Right. I'm a little quiet about it, but after reading of our "sins of belief", I'm pretty sure I'm guilty.

No matter. In fact it shows the incompetence of the left. They take what I truly believe and insult me - as if that would change my mind!

Did they think insulting me was a path to conversion?..... Apparently so; Obama spent 8 years publicly insulting Republicans.
Not very smart.
The term alt-right is not an insult if it doesn't bother you. If that describes you, fine, but don't expect most people to support your agenda, they probably won't. The genius of American politics is in compromise, so you might see part of what you want come to pass.

No one wants or expects to convert you, you will do that yourself or not at all.

By the way, can you publish the list here (sins of belief)? I have not seen it and I am curious.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They thought they could take this country in a bloodless coup. They were wrong.
Could you explain this comment? It is out of context so I am not sure in what sense you mean this. Thanx

Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Besides rescuing us from a Great Recession that he inherited. At least the Republicans could do something to help people instead of just whining and being petulant. Oh, and being mean, dividing the country like they did yesterday by condoning the KKK, hurting Americans in so many ways.
Obama intentionally divided the country just to gather votes via directing efforts defined at blocks of voters.

The fear mongering and hatefilled efforts of the democrats along with the media, have continued where obama left off, being the useful idiots Putin never dreamed was possible as a means to destroy America.

Obama or mickey mouse could have revived the great US economy. Believing obama saved our economy is no different than believing the high priest brought back the sun after an eclipse.

Obama had his boot on the neck of the economy that was struggling to free itself of his misdirected efforts, the product of a community organizer being advised by a chicago civil rights lawyer.

Condoning the KKK and BLM the dems continue their hate and fear mongering campaign. They support the KKK with their dog whistle honoring of former KKK officer dem sen Byrd.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Don't just slander someone, as good a man as former President Obama. You must specify each crime and lie with proof. No one, and I mean no one, can come up with anything. That president was as honest and trustworthy as any president in my lifetime of 72 years, since Dwight d. Eisenhower and Jimmy Carter. All the rest, both parties, once again. Have had scandal and untrustworthy moments (or presidencies) plus wars, and recessions.
keep your doctor, keep your insurance ....biggest lie ever told to the America people.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
The first I've heard this term (alt-right) was during this past political campaign, and it was used by Hillary Clinton whenever she described Trump supporters. So, again, define for me what the Democrats mean by "alt-right?" Is there also an "alt-Left??
"Bannon declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016" - that is, the current person who is running the White House and much of our policy - a Hollywood multi-millionaire - declared Breitbart (his site) and the movement around it as the "alt-right" or "alternative right".

And now you act as if the term was made up by Hillary? Strange, man, really strange. Own it - it's the term our Great Leaders use for their movement.

Is there an "alt-left"? Nothing to the same extent in terms of having gone mainstream or sitting in the White House deciding if nukes are going to fly or not. I'd say the "alt-left" is about 10% of the size of the "alt-right" and consists of those with the ski masks who break windows and parade around mostly out west.

There really is no equivalent movement since those anarchists are not funded by billionaires and haven't created all their own think tanks and institutions in DC over a period of decades....to make it look like their movement is "normal".

The "alt-right" is really an extension of the John Birch Society and other various billionaire-financed right wing publications and efforts. The difference now is that they feel free coming out of the closet and also have the keys to the nuclear codes.

Our Founders made some big mistakes - and, in some cases, they knew it. For example, many of them predicted the failure to properly address slavery (which even Jefferson - a planter - knew had to be abolished) would divide the nation. It still does to this very day....250 years later!

The other very important point that the Founders made about our Constitution was that it is ONLY for the governing of a moral and just people. That is, they knew 100% that it could be gamed.

And it has been....mostly by billionaire bankers and oil interests, but they go under various disguises as "libertarians" (Cato), an "conservatives". But what they desire is not secret....it's total selfishness. As their spokesman said "we want to make government small enough to drown in the bathtub".

But that's not what they are doing or have done. What they are doing is spending more and more while giving us less and less for the $$. That's a bad deal any way you look at it - from the left OR right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies