Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:51 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,367,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The fact that a man who is obviously not a Republican won as a Republican should give you an idea of how people feel about the Republican party.
"Obviously not a Republican?" What makes you say that? What is he then? His stand on immigration, the military, trade, taxes, jobs, etc. are all very Republican. He may not be as conservative on some issues as I would like, but he is far from being a Leftist. He's not even a "centrist."

Both Democrats (especially Democrats;i.e., "progressives") and Republicans have moved far from the Constitution. Trump is leaning toward bringing us back, I believe, which is the direction we should go. He is repealing a lot of onerous regulations and restrictions on our energy production which have had a negative effect on our economy. The number of employees at the White House is far less than that of Obama's White House. That saves us money.

Overall, I say he is far more Republican than he is anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I think more accurately, the extremely have infiltrated mainstream politics, which allows them airtime and opportunities for growth.

I'll use the Republican party and the alt-right because the example is way easier to follow, but there is a problem with the Democrats and the far left as well.

The alt-right has been around for a while, the term first being used nearly a decade ago. It started being more definably when Richard Spencer described his views as alt-right. The alt-right was protectionist and isolationist, as well as vehemently racist. Now, both the Democratic party and Republican party are significantly less intone with the average person, which means people are more inclined to vote for outsiders, i.e., Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump.

The alt-right loves Trump and there pretty much everywhere now. The thing is, if you work at a factory and you're afraid it's going to be closed down and moved to Mexico, protectionism is going to be pretty damn attractive to you. So there's this crowd that's gaining a bit of traction that supports protectionism. So this person who gets on the alt-right bandwagon with good intentions suddenly finds himself among company that believes non-whites are inferior.

This is why we need more than two parties. This sort of problem is inevitable when the political establishment doesn't care what the average person thinks. A way to avoid it is to have more than two parties. The likelihood that two parties will not give a damn about the average American is significantly higher than the likelihood that six parties would do this. If you have one or two parties suddenly go full on elitism, the parties that listen to the people will start winning election as people become aware and then the elitist parties will need to change.

The problem is that people become aware of it rather slowly. And if you have two parties doing this in a two party state, by the time the people are aware, changing that trend becomes extremely difficult... except by infiltration. And who does the infiltrating can be hard to control.
LOL! Okay, I'll ask you again: Define the alt-right in today's politics. Who are they? Democrats sure love to sling that term around.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,496,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Nobody is moving. The people at the extreme ends are just getting louder.
I hope you're right!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Obviously not a Republican?" What makes you say that? What is he then? His stand on immigration, the military, trade, taxes, jobs, etc. are all very Republican. He may not be as conservative on some issues as I would like, but he is far from being a Leftist. He's not even a "centrist."

Both Democrats (especially Democrats;i.e., "progressives") and Republicans have moved far from the Constitution. Trump is leaning toward bringing us back, I believe, which is the direction we should go. He is repealing a lot of onerous regulations and restrictions on our energy production which have had a negative effect on our economy. The number of employees at the White House is far less than that of Obama's White House. That saves us money.

Overall, I say he is far more Republican than he is anything else.
Donald Trump is also an economic protectionist, which is not Republican in the slightest.

The primary ideology within the Republican party is economic liberalism. Or, we call it fiscal conservatism in this country since apparently 300 million people have never taken so much as a rudimentary civics course. Point being, supporting protectionist policy is significant divergence from the Republican party at large.

You bring up immigration, military, trade, taxes, and jobs as being your signs. His immigration policy is reasonably republican. His military policy is vaguely Republican, but it's also more just rhetorical "I support the military" ****. Ironically, he seems to pretend to be different than the neocons in the Republican party, but also seems pretty trigger happy with the idea of war. He wants to lower taxes, but doesn't have a clear position on social programs, which usually is a required point. As far as trade and jobs go, he's not a Republican. Republicans support free trade, Trump does not.

By the way, supporting things like tariffs and protectionist policy on exports is probably going to cost us more than it saves, and that is balanced out by having a slightly smaller White House staff, which big picture, costs us collectively very little anyway.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL! Okay, I'll ask you again: Define the alt-right in today's politics. Who are they? Democrats sure love to sling that term around.
The alt-right has it's roots in neo-nazism and white nationalism. The early alt-right's views tended to revolve around anti-semitism, white supremacy, and nativism, as well as support for protectionism and isolationism. The latter two are primarily what allowed it to have more influence than it normally would.

I'm also not a Democrat, so let's cool it with the condescending bull****. Your the one who apparently buys the idea that politics is about A and B. Just because I'm not a Trump supporters doesn't mean I'm a mouthpiece for the Democratic party. Both parties are desperately in need of reform and, as I've said on this forum before, need to be split into at least two parties, if not more.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,691,401 times
I get the sense that this country is starting to resemble "The Time Machine", with people evolving into two different species, the Morlock and the Eloi. The big cities and blue States are the Eloi, and the red states and rural areas are the Morlock.

The Eloi are the rich and educated, while the Morlock are the poor uneducated who do all the grunt labor. The catch being that Morlock eat Eloi. I feel there might need to be two different countries eventually

Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,442,575 times
It has gotten worse since the wacko left has taken over higher education and has been brainwashing the kids so that as adults they don't know any better.

2020 should be a brawl in the Demo primaries with Pocahontas, Maxmouth Waters, Wasserman-Schultz and other hangers on all thinking they are the solution to all the nations problems. Bernie will have to have another go at it, if he isn't in the old folks home.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,608,341 times
I don't know anymore where there is room in either party for Centrists.

I got accused of not being a good progressive because I didn't want to move DIRECTLY to a $15 wage in some states.

And because I'm fine with taking small steps toward Universal health care (as did many other countries) but those views will never satisfy the far left.

And the centrist Republicans like Kasich, Manchin, Collins ~ are never going to satisfy the far right.

I think we need a centrist party!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,676,171 times
Sadly, I think there is evidence all around us that America has moved far far to the right. Especially in terms of policy and institutions, it is really without historical precedent for the United States to be so conservative.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,691,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know anymore where there is room in either party for Centrists.

I got accused of not being a good progressive because I didn't want to move DIRECTLY to a $15 wage in some states.

And because I'm fine with taking small steps toward Universal health care (as did many other countries) but those views will never satisfy the far left.

And the centrist Republicans like Kasich, Manchin, Collins ~ are never going to satisfy the far right.

I think we need a centrist party!
Manchin is a Democrat, just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies