Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Lol that is literally how language works. It evolves, and one of the ways it evolves is to combine two words and come up with new meanings. Stupid and ignorant meanings in this case but still new.
It doesn't evolve in a couple of weeks to suite a particular agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, you're taking what I said and making it the opposite. I said white nationalists and white supremacists are very different from eachother. How else can I explain it. I even including the dictionary definitions of nationalist and nationalism. What am I doing wrong?
Ignoring the fact that white nationalists have adopted a term for themselves. It happens all the time that two words put together can have a new meaning that only is tangentially related to their original parts. Do you really not know this?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
These are all people should believe that the white race is in some way superior to others and that societal norms and policies should reflect it. It's that simple. Your strawman is not effective.

And if there are so few of them, then why are we getting increasing numbers of these kinds of marches, and why are guys like Richard Spencer taking off in popularity?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
With all the accusations coming from the left, it makes one wonder how they define all these terms they keep throwing around.

What makes someone a "white supremacist"?

Do they have to be in the KKK or other official, organized group?

To be a "white nationalist" do they have to define themselves as such?

Does the left realize that actual white supremacists are actually very few in number?

Or do they define these people as pretty much anyone who voted for or supports Trump?

Does being against removal of historical Confederate monuments automatically make someone a member of these groups?

And don't even get me started about the "alt right".

* Edit for clarification:

I'm not looking for dictionary definitions here.....I'm looking for the definitions according to the people, mostly on the left, who are so casually throwing these terms around .
As a black person. A true white supremacists is a white person that PURPOSELY makes life difficult for minorities. Theses guys the white liberals are going after are only white supremacist by TITLE and not by actions. That to me is a waste of energy. True White Supremacist keep minorities from good housing, good education, job promotions etc. They are the obstacle creators of society and YES they do exist and they dont march or protest. They dont want the light on them at all. The Faux Nazi and KKK are the least of my worries as a black male.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The Neo-Nazis or KKK type, whether it was the bund, the Silver Shirts, or George Lincoln Rockwell’s idiots, are, well, white supremacists. They hate everybody.

White nationalists are European Americans for the most part who feel that they have the right to be prideful that they are descendents of Europeans.

This does not mean they hate non European people. They might be tired of being blamed by non white people for all the problems in American society but they do not hate you nor see themselves as superior to you. They just feel that they have a distinct culture too that is now being threatened of being destroyed for the sake of multiculturalism and they are right about this and they have the human right to be mad about this as any other group in the world would be mad if Europeans showed up in mass numbers and say started planting colonies in other lands that had a main distinct culture such as say Japan.
But, see, that's the whole thing. These people aren't talking about the distinct history of their countries of origin, they're not talking about taking pride in their heritage as French or German or British. That I could understand a little. But just pride about being white? No, not so much.

Also, if there was a bit of irony in part of your statement, it was noted and appreciated.

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ignoring the fact that white nationalists have adopted a term for themselves. It happens all the time that two words put together can have a new meaning that only is tangentially related to their original parts. Do you really not know this?
Again, show me any example where a Neo Nazi supremacist is calling himself a nationalist. I've only seen news media use that word making the two things the same.

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
It doesn't evolve in a couple of weeks to suite a particular agenda.
A couple of weeks? The internet is full of magical information. Educate yourself. White nationalist has been a term being used for decades.

I may not agree that it is a particular meaningful term but pretending it was adopted by the media is plain old BS.

Here start with Wikipedia, follow links, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_nationalism

It has existed as a stupid political party in the U.K. for 15 years. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Nationalist_Party

It has been an underground movement in the US since at least th 80s when they were calling for separation of a white nation.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
according to liberals it's racist to be proud of being white.
according to liberals it's racist to attack Obama.
according to liberals it's racist to detest BLM blocking interstates.
according to liberals it's homophobic to deny men access to the little girl's room.
according to liberals it's bigotry to demand able body leaches on welfare to get a job.
according to liberals it's racist to secure our borders.
according to liberals it's considered sexist for men to make more than women period.
according to liberals billiards is considered racist and must be changed.
according to liberals Christmas is offensive and must be changed
according to liberals flag burning is a right (except the rainbow flag!!! leave that one alone!!) Burn the confederate one
Poop.

I love Christmas.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
As a black person. A true white supremacists is a white person that PURPOSELY makes life difficult for minorities. Theses guys the white liberals are going after are only white supremacist by TITLE and not by actions. That to me is a waste of energy. True White Supremacist keep minorities from good housing, good education, job promotions etc. The are the obstacle creators of society and YES they do exist and they dont march or protest. They dont want the light on them at all. The Faux Nazi and KKK are the least of my worries as a black male.
Truth -- the day to day racist is the real concern but to ignore, tolerate, give credit to the KKK and such -- further validates the day to day racist.

So on a daily basis yes -- your concerns are valid and worth fighting against. But the symbols are worth fighting against as well. While they may not have that direct impact on your life -- they do escalate things...they just do.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
No, the media does that. I've yet to see someone preaching superiority, racial hatred, or having swastika tattoos call themselves a white nationalist.
No, that's because they are deluded enough to call themselves normal, decent citizens instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies