Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,804 times

Advertisements

There is a increased interest in Venezuela which just happens to have the largest oil reserve...Is the US after the Oil even thought the demand for oil has decreased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
The U.S. has more oil, and gas that it knows what to do with. They recently found yet another ocean of oil in Texas. We don't need any more oil. We have centuries of fossil fuels right here in the U.S. Our fossil fuel is THE RENWABLE ENERGY SOURCE.

From USA Today:

Quote:
The U.S. Geological Survey recently discovered the largest continuous oil and gas deposit ever found in the United States,*officials said Tuesday.

The agency announced that the Wolfcamp shale, located in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin, contains 20 billion barrels of oil and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquid
The Permian Basin is one of the most productive oil and gas areas in the country, and more than 3,000 horizontal wells have been drilled in the Wolfcamp shale section,*the agency said in a statement.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...exas/94013292/

Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
There is a increased interest in Venezuela which just happens to have the largest oil reserve...Is the US after the Oil even thought the demand for oil has decreased?
I doubt it. The only person that expressed any 'interest' in Venezuela was President Trump, and his was a 'throw away' remark, in my opinion.

This article, from July 2016, is interesting:

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/05/us-o...nd-russia.html

From the article:

"Rystad Energy estimates recoverable oil in the US from existing fields, discoveries and yet undiscovered areas amounts to 264bn barrels. The figure surpasses Saudi Arabia's 212bn and Russia's 256bn in reserves."

That, sir, is a lot of oil. It is on (or under) our land. No need to 'take over' that country.

Now, I can see that some of the big oil companies (Rex Tillerson!) would be interested in overturning the nationalization of the oil industry imposed by the Venezuelan government in 1976,strengthened by subsequent leaders. Exxon finally left the country in 2007.

It is a messy situation, but I have no doubt that Exxon and others would like to 'wet their beaks' again in Venezuela.

Hmm. Maybe Trump's statement was not as 'throw away' as I think.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The U.S. has more oil, and gas that it knows what to do with. They recently found yet another ocean of oil in Texas. We don't need any more oil. We have centuries of fossil fuels right here in the U.S. Our fossil fuel is THE RENWABLE ENERGY SOURCE.

From USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...exas/94013292/
Cheaper to import than to exploit our resources

Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Cheaper to import than to exploit our resources

Ahhh, no. "Exploit" our resources? They're ours. How is it exploitation? Your choice of words is very telling.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
I'm on the fence. On one hand, I'd like the US to mind our own knitting for awhile.

On the other hand, if hundreds of thousands of people end up starving & the country devolves into chaos, it can de-stabilize the region. By default, the US is the superpower in the Western Hemisphere, and stabilizing and helping the citizens of Venezuela is a natural (military & humanitarian) action to take given the Monroe Doctrine.

And I believe we have quite a few immigrants from Venezuela. Also, the fact that they've got some oil reserves (and the women from Venezuela are hot) aren't bad things either.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Of course it's about oil. Why would Trump and his buddies care about a backwater like Venezuela otherwise?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Ahhh, no. "Exploit" our resources? They're ours. How is it exploitation? Your choice of words is very telling.
HA !

Pardon me while I exploit a pig and chicken and have some breakfast.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Venezuela is one of the top countries from which we import oil. Standard Oil exploited their oil fields back in the 1900's fair and square, then they took back the fields. I doubt there is any need for more oil at this time, but Russia and China are heavily invested in Venezuela.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
English is not my mother language..from time to time i use the wrong words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies