Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
They lost the civil war to the north. So they should really not even have the right to have these statues or their flags. And why are they even celebrating the fact that they Lost? It would be like the losing football team flying their school flag around the football field after a loss. Hey everyone, let's celebrate and draw attention to being losers!
So you support tearing down the Vietnam Wall and its list of 58000 losers who died in service to the wrong cause?

Hurts, doesn't it?

You need to think before you insult peoples' memories and condemn a whole section of our country as racists and undeserving of compassion.

I'm no Southerner, but I served with plenty of Southern boys in combat. They were brave, resourceful, and loved America enough to die for it. The same was true in World War II, when Hitler and the Nazi scum were defeated by American armed forces manned by citizens of the north AND south.

Knock off the hate for your fellow Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So you support tearing down the Vietnam Wall and its list of 58000 losers who died in service to the wrong cause?

Hurts, doesn't it?

You need to think before you insult peoples' memories and condemn a whole section of our country as racists and undeserving of compassion.

I'm no Southerner, but I served with plenty of Southern boys in combat. They were brave, resourceful, and loved America enough to die for it. The same was true in World War II, when Hitler and the Nazi scum were defeated by American armed forces manned by citizens of the north AND south.

Great post.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 12,938 times
Completely agree. In addition, they were also traitors to this nation and often raped their slaves. Abusers, losers, and traitors. Unsure why anybody even defends the Confederacy.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:33 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you saying a man shouldn't be allowed to have a statue or flag on his private property?

I'm just clarifying. It's a broad statement.
They were erected in public places.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
They lost the civil war to the north. So they should really not even have the right to have these statues or their flags. And why are they even celebrating the fact that they Lost? It would be like the losing football team flying their school flag around the football field after a loss. Hey everyone, let's celebrate and draw attention to being losers!
Agreed. A defeated nation doesn't get to fly it's colors on government land.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Not the same thing.

Quote:
Hurts, doesn't it?

It's about a defeated nation. You don't get to fly enemy colors or have monuments of anyone who fought against America on government land. I'm all for the right to secede too.
Fly your flag, have your monuments just do it on private land.

btw Quite a few people in Germany were fighting for country, they didn't agree with Hitler.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Say that or display a bumper sticker the next time you visit Georgia or Louisiana! You are very young and don't yet have a clue.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
With a few exceptions like Denmark and the Netherlands (which remain small players due to size alone; they do well until push comes to shove) every successful society has a warrior caste. That was a role that Southerners were ideally suited to fill.

When the future of all democratic pluralism was at risk between 1914 and 1945, those Southerners did their part. In the process, the absurdity of a divided military, not only on race but on ethnic issues, became apparent, and the process of assimilation accelerated. That trend in turn spilled over into the better-paying heavy-industrial sectors of the economy.'

The current furor over the role of the failed Confederacy in the American mosaic is nothing but a spew by a few self-righteous (and easily-led) juveniles. But a lot of us know who's really trying to pull the strings.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:54 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
They (the South) have the right to do whatever they want to do as long as they don't infringe on others rights. Confederate memorials to me are a reminder of a failed philosophy...i can understand why some find them highly objectionable, to me they're a reminder of losers.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I'm a born and raised Southerner. Two of my relatives were Confederate soldiers. I'm proud that they were willing to fight for their country, but I'm not really on board with the idea of the statues. Memorial statues for events seem fine, but statues glorifying individuals seem overboard to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies