Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:37 AM

34,367 posts, read 18,748,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I owe you a thanks for inspiring me to perform a genealogy search I'd never thought to do. A search of Civil War records indicates that my unusual birth surname is associated only with Union soldiers, which isn't terribly surprising, but still a nice thing to learn.
More virtue signaling. Well good for you. Do you "FEEL" better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,463,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Is it really so hard to comprehend that here is a difference between remembering history and glorifying a failed insurrection through monuments and statues.

We can remember our history in books. There is no reason to glorify insurrectionists or the failed policies of Jim Crow through statues and other monuments.
Will they allow pictures of the Confederate leaders to be in the books?

Seems to me that if we shouldn't see them in the form of statues, we also shouldn't see them in the form of photographs, paintings and drawings.

Especially not if children would be exposed to them -- the horror!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Some of us refuse to accept your PC version of America. Erasing history is the stuff of Nazis, taliban and commies. PC is about silencing freedom of speech in order to secure the liberal position from any challenges. Remember there are a lot of us, enough that republicans won the election. Also remember that a great many of us live in those old confederate states that currently are having thier history and culture attacked. Don't like statues to the confederacy? Keep it up and maybe you will be fighting the NEW confederacy. I hate the liberals, I hate thier freedom America hating ways, I hate them and would gladly put on a grey uniform if the time ever called for it. Think that's crazy talk? More and more you hear discussion of a possible second American civil war, we are easily as divided as we were in the 1850s. I am starting to think we will never settle these issues peacefully. The libs refuse to respect our rights and we refuse to give in and live in thier world. The funny thing about all of it is the libs think they will win again like it's still 1865. Things will go much worse for y'all if you start another war. We are prosperous, industrialized, well armed and we are tougher. Our military is made of of red state folks and most of the bases are here too. Really I am not sure what cards blue state America would hol in a civil war. Oh I guess y'all protest better than us
Yes, it is time for another civil war. The libs are destroying this country and must be stopped.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yes, it is time for another civil war. The libs are destroying this country and must be stopped.
Be sure to let us know when you fire the first shot.

Carry on.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

South has been pretending they weren't traitors and didn't lose.

Time for that is over.
You can't be a traitor if you're no longer a part of the country you are supposedly committing treason against.

The South seceded and formed a new country.

Secession was perfectly legal.

In fact, New York, Rhode Island and Virginia only joined the union on the condition that they could secede if they wanted to.

The only "treason" that took place was committed by Lincoln.

He committed treason against the Constitution by not recognizing the right of secession.

If we're going to remove statues, we should remove his statue.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Be sure to let us know when you fire the first shot.

Carry on.

Fire the first shot?

No, I would use a flame thrower.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,414,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Is it really so hard to comprehend that here is a difference between remembering history and glorifying a failed insurrection through monuments and statues.

We can remember our history in books. There is no reason to glorify insurrectionists or the failed policies of Jim Crow through statues and other monuments.
If only people read books, you might really be on to something.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You can't be a traitor if you're no longer a part of the country you are supposedly committing treason against.

The South seceded and formed a new country.

Secession was perfectly legal.

In fact, New York, Rhode Island and Virginia only joined the union on the condition that they could secede if they wanted to.

The only "treason" that took place was committed by Lincoln.

He committed treason against the Constitution by not recognizing the right of secession.

If we're going to remove statues, we should remove his statue.
I've said this before. Lincoln USED the Civil War to destroy State's Rights and make the Federal Government OMNITPOTENT. He succeeded, and now we have a centralized, collective government similar to the former USSR. Instead of local/state government where we can more easily change, and/or protest we have a far away, insulated ROYALTY.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,444,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More virtue signaling. Well good for you. Do you "FEEL" better?
Not really. It's just interesting and came as a surprise to me that nobody with my maiden surname is documented as having fought for the Confederacy. That being said, I am also the product of my mother's family, which has a much more notorious past, so I'm well aware that my ancestry has a sordid side -- seriously awful, actually. That's pretty much true of everyone. We don't get to choose our forebears. To quote a former president, "It is what it is," but my connection to people who committed terrible acts is certainly not worthy of celebrating in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-20-2017 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not really. It's just interesting and came as a surprise to me that nobody with my maiden surname is documented as having fought for the Confederacy. That being said, I am also the product of my mother's family, which has a much more notorious past, so I'm well aware that my ancestry has a sordid side -- seriously awful, actually. That's pretty much true of everyone. We don't get to choose our forebears. To quote a former president, "It is what it is," but my connection to those people is certainly not worthy of celebrating in any way, shape, or form.
Thank you for your response, and I apologize for being a bit "snarky". I am sure you are a good person, and it really doesn't matter who, or what our ancestors were as long as we conduct ourselves in a positive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies