Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I don't live in the US and high schools here do not have football teams.
Well what part of Asia do you live in? In the U.S the football team, baseball team and soccer team even though they may be vehemently against gay people like to do "gay" stuff in the locker room like slap each others butts, and other locker room pranks that is definitely unwanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Well maybe it didn't happened during your time back in 300 B.C
But nowadays kids like to harass their friends in public by jumping on them and putting their hands all over their body in public just too make it known that they are best friends. The other friend most of the time don't want to be hugged or touched like that and is usually either trying to get them off or awkwardly standing there.
Intent and consent are integral.

In any event, I've never heard of this so I'm going to leave it be.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
(battery is the intentional offensive or harmful touching of another person without the person's consent).

you continue to evade the criteria that doesn't fit your argument.
Consent is not a strong point of collectivists.

You're probably fighting a losing battle on this one.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I will proudly call any and all people who violate the non-aggression principle animals.

* knocking a hat off someone's head is a violation = that specific person is an animal

* theft of private property (physically taking the hat) is a violation = that specific person is an animal

Agree or disagree with my stance?
I have to disagree, as I think we are wrongfully accusing animals here. When did animals start to steal. I know some species do steal but the vast majority of animals at least the ones I see aren't constantly stealing from other animals or people. Apparently ants and humans are the only animal species that launch large scale wars against each other. So I don't understand why we always reference really violent acts to animals when a few animal species are the problem at best. I would call them criminals or losers or thieves.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Okay, I've been called the N word to my face. A few times in my life.

Did I resort to pushing them or punching them in the face?

No, I laughed, gave them the finger, and moved it along.

But these are 20 year old college kids at one of the most prestige schools in the nation doing this to 16 year old little girls. THEY should know better than that and have a higher sense of class and dignity than that. I don't agree with them taking off the hats and physically touching them because they don't like the hats. Those are Howard students, one of the most prestige HCBU's in the country, I expect them to act like seasoned future professionals. If they were at a corporate job and they did that to someone wearing a a mere MAGA, you bet your ass they'd be fired in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if it's violent, when you put your hand on another person, you automatically lose the argument, period.

These girls weren't there calling them N words. Or wearing a "WE LOVE THE KKK" shirt. They were wearing a hat that, as a DC resident, is VERY common to see everywhere here on a daily basis here, despite what the media tells you. I see it worn daily on the Metro, and nobody cares.

These HU students should have handled this the same way. And HU should not have issued that stupid tweet.

If you empower this kind of behavior, all you do is give moron groups like Antifa more ammo for their cause. You cannot be physical with someone you disagree with, period.
Very good assessment of the situation.

And, as usual the thing of concern is that these people will eventually be in the work force. HU tweets were ridiculous and they should not be coddling these university students as they did.

The white girls were behaving stupidly as well and whatever adults were encouraging or going along with their silly plan to look for trouble were not doing them any favors either.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
[The high school girls] were using their attire to "start something." If I wanted to be overly "deep" with my line of thought, I could easily construe them walking into the space with such attire as an "act of aggression or violence." But I'm not going to do that.
That's exactly what you are doing.

Mere words are not aggressive violence.

Do we need to consult a few dictionaries for the definition of violence?

Violence - the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy

Violence - behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

Violence - Behavior or treatment in which physical force is exerted for the purpose of causing damage or injury

In what possible manner did the high school girls' MAGA hats constitute a use of physical force?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Okay, I've been called the N word to my face. A few times in my life.

Did I resort to pushing them or punching them in the face?

No, I laughed, gave them the finger, and moved it along.

But these are 20 year old college kids at one of the most prestige schools in the nation doing this to 16 year old little girls. THEY should know better than that and have a higher sense of class and dignity than that. I don't agree with them taking off the hats and physically touching them because they don't like the hats. Those are Howard students, one of the most prestige HCBU's in the country, I expect them to act like seasoned future professionals. If they were at a corporate job and they did that to someone wearing a a mere MAGA, you bet your ass they'd be fired in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if it's violent, when you put your hand on another person, you automatically lose the argument, period.

These girls weren't there calling them N words. Or wearing a "WE LOVE THE KKK" shirt. They were wearing a hat that, as a DC resident, is VERY common to see everywhere here on a daily basis here, despite what the media tells you. I see it worn daily on the Metro, and nobody cares.

These HU students should have handled this the same way. And HU should not have issued that stupid tweet.

If you empower this kind of behavior, all you do is give moron groups like Antifa more ammo for their cause. You cannot be physical with someone you disagree with, period.
I'm not empowering it. All I stated is that no violence occurred and that it was not "battery."

I do feel that if these were actual students (not sure if they were) that they should be disciplined by the University and counseled on their response. However, there was not a crime committed and posters are insinuating that violence occurred and crimes were committed when none of that happened.

I'll also note that blindly believing these girls is not warranted IMO. I would like to know who organized the trip, what the purpose of the trip was and who were the chaperones. The scenario and their explanation for me doesn't make sense. Again, I've been on many college tours along with general tours of a city and all of them speak briefly about where they are stopping so for them to say they didn't know it was an HBCU and for them to be on a college tour and chaperones not to have spoken with the girls about the hats/shirts prior to going to HU IMO is suspicious. I don't believe their account of why they were there and I especially don't believe violence occurred nor any battery.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
I have to disagree, as I think we are wrongfully accusing animals here. When did animals start to steal. I know some species do steal but the vast majority of animals at least the ones I see aren't constantly stealing from other animals or people. Apparently ants and humans are the only animal species that launch large scale wars against each other. So I don't understand why we always reference really violent acts to animals when a few animal species are the problem at best. I would call them criminals or losers or thieves.

Did you know that those "cute" little squirrels you see eat baby birds.... stealing them from their nests.........

Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You're on a roll today.

Let me step into the batter's box again and try this one with ya:

Anyone who violates my tenets you've now said you will call a criminal, loser, or thief.

The specific woman/women who knocked the hat off and took it...criminals, losers, thieves?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Well what part of Asia do you live in?
I'm in East Asia.

And its late here. I'm going to bed.

Have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies