Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,438,122 times

Advertisements

Don't be jealous all you critics, she is a lucky cat!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 06:21 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,376,951 times
With 758 million, a lot of problems can be solved. She can move anywhere, live anywhere, and it can happen NOW. She could buy 1,000 acres, build her own town and hire her own security force. She can instantly build a buffer between herself and anyone she does not want to see. In effect, she can pretty much do anything she pleases.

So I don't see 'coming out' immediately as any kind of major problem.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:30 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If she opted for Lump Sum, it would be:

$480 Million

of that, $121.1 Million will be taken for taxes

of that, $24 Million will be taken for State Taxes. (so netting her $335 Million).

And her "final tax burden" will be much higher. Can anyone explain the final tax burden?
The $121.1 million is the 25% Federal withholding tax - she will most likely be paying the highest tax rate. As a single filer, that will be $121,505 + $189.9 million (39.6% of the amount over $418,400) for total of just over $190 million. Of course, she will have adjustments and deductions (ie the state tax paid) so the number will come down a bit.

The $24 million for state taxes is 5%. MA income tax is 5.1% so sh may owe another $4.5 million.

I too was surprised that she came forward so quickly. The recommended process is to get financial and legal help first to help minimize the tax and celebrity burden.

I really hope she is able to handle what she now has.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 AM

24,434 posts, read 23,092,690 times
I don't know how long I could drag myself to my job knowing that I had that much money sitting there waiting for me. But if you up and quit or disappear and they know the ticket was sold in your area then it wouldn't be hard to deduce that you were the winner and you'd have the press and money hunters after your trail.
The smart thing to do would have been to consult a good tax attorney and financial planner to give you advice on what to do to protect the money and let it work for you. If I won there's a few properties I'd be interested in buying and making bids on after I looked at them. If I decided I wanted one, I wouldn't want to wait a few months and let it get sold out from under me.
This woman doesn't sound like a moron, she was a nurse for 30 years. I personally wouldn't the media attention but maybe she wants to be a celebrity for a while. Celebrities live on attention. Anyway, I wish her well. I love a good story where a lottery winner goes to ruin but I don't wish it on them. I'll be just as interested in seeing how its positively changed her life a few years from now.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,793,381 times
I would call my financial planner and instruct him to set up a meeting and to procure a CPA and an attorney. If possible, I would keep my identity secret.

The rule of thumb is to keep working for at least a year when you get any kind of windfall. But that kind of money would be so disruptive, I do not know if I could carry on at work.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This woman doesn't sound like a moron, she was a nurse for 30 years. I personally wouldn't the media attention but maybe she wants to be a celebrity for a while. Celebrities live on attention. Anyway, I wish her well. I love a good story where a lottery winner goes to ruin but I don't wish it on them. I'll be just as interested in seeing how its positively changed her life a few years from now.
She doesn't exactly seem like the type of person to seek celebrity status. She didn't even want to talk into the mic at first. I think she is just overwhelmed, and will figure it out.

We had a powerball winner in our community years ago and last I knew they still lived in the same house and the guy did not even quit his job.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was shocked that she announced her name (already) and went to the lottery officials..... AND she said she quit her job BEFORE evening collecting the money.

I realize she has to identify herself in her state BUT shouldn't she have gotten an attorney and financial advisor FIRST, who will show her how to PROTECT her money. I hope the lottery ticket isn't sitting on her window sill!

If it were me, I would have kept my mouth shut, got an attorney and some good financial advice (AND put the money in a safe deposit box) and then when the time was right, announce that I was the winner.

Her ticket and identity need to be checked and verified (perhaps she did that already but....) I would not have quit my job until the money hit my account. That's just me.

I think she is in for a world of headaches and people begging for her money....She could have offset that by maintaining her privacy as long as possible...

How many of you would have gone on the news the very morning you found out you had won? What would you have done? (financially speaking) ..

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/powe...not-to-do.html
Huge Mistake, she will learn the Hard Way. Best thing she can do now is take an extended vacation and while gone find a new home and Move, as far as possible and at this point changing her name is darn near a requirement.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,385,633 times
In the unlikely event that I were ever to win the lottery, my primary focus would not be on what I would buy but on how to preserve some sense of normalcy for my family, which would mean protecting our privacy at all costs. I suppose, though, if that were truly my life's priority, then I would not be playing the lottery at all.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The $121.1 million is the 25% Federal withholding tax - she will most likely be paying the highest tax rate. As a single filer, that will be $121,505 + $189.9 million (39.6% of the amount over $418,400) for total of just over $190 million. Of course, she will have adjustments and deductions (ie the state tax paid) so the number will come down a bit.

The $24 million for state taxes is 5%. MA income tax is 5.1% so sh may owe another $4.5 million.

I too was surprised that she came forward so quickly. The recommended process is to get financial and legal help first to help minimize the tax and celebrity burden.

I really hope she is able to handle what she now has.
$758M will cover a lot of bad mistakes, let's not worry too much about her I think she will survive.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I'd buy my sister a house and then give all of the rest of my money to the 2020 Re-Elect Trump Campaign...and I'd make sure the national news media knew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies